Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6
rbolin
178 Views, 5 Replies

Server Advice

We are looking to upgrade our servers (3) to either 2000 server or 2003 server.

I was looking for some advice on which would be better for a civil engineering company running Land Desktop 2004 (soon 2005). with about 30 CAD users. We pull our drawings and projects from the servers. Our workstations are all P4 1.6-2.8HT with either Win200 Pro or XP Pro. The servers are currently all NT Server and all faster then a P4 1.7

Out email and website are all hosted outside the office so that won't be a factor.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
patrick_aps
in reply to: rbolin

Divide the tasks between the servers:
Keep the old servers as Plot server and license server etc.
If you are a 100% windows firm (server and workstation) migrate to Active Domain.
Buy reliable servers like HP or Dell. Think maybe of external storage (hard disks out of the server) so that this sotrage can be migrated later.
Most important: get a good backup-plan and system.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

I am not looking to buy new server i am just wanting to upgrade our server operating systems. patrick_aps wrote in news:26918590.1079943386742.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com: > Divide the tasks between the servers: > Keep the old servers as Plot server and license server etc. > If you are a 100% windows firm (server and workstation) migrate to > Active Domain. Buy reliable servers like HP or Dell. Think maybe of > external storage (hard disks out of the server) so that this sotrage > can be migrated later. Most important: get a good backup-plan and > system. >
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Bobby, We are about 30 person total civil firm and use Small Business Server 2000. With that you get Exchange, SQL, and some other software. We also have outside hosting for web and email, but use the Exchange for internal email. Works great. SBS2003 has 2 levels now with a 75 person limit. I know you said you don't need another server but for what it's worth it's all on a Dell PE2400 w/ 3-18G hd's and 3-36G hd's, raid5, tape backup. "rbolin" wrote in message news:23565663.1079733162661.JavaMail.javamailuser@localhost... > We are looking to upgrade our servers (3) to either 2000 server or 2003 server. > > I was looking for some advice on which would be better for a civil engineering company running Land Desktop 2004 (soon 2005). with about 30 CAD users. We pull our drawings and projects from the servers. Our workstations are all P4 1.6-2.8HT with either Win200 Pro or XP Pro. The servers are currently all NT Server and all faster then a P4 1.7 > > Out email and website are all hosted outside the office so that won't be a factor.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

I would think you'd do best by going to the latest (2003). We upgraded to that recently and haven't had any problems. We share all our files off the 2003 server with clients that are 2000 and NT 4.0. I also have FlexLM running for AutoCAD 2004...not sure about differences for LDD. I got FlexLM to run on 2003, but made sure I updated to the latest version...if you're doing LDD 2005 soon and it uses FlexLM, you might just want to wait until you have that latest disk in hand. Good luck! "rbolin" wrote in message news:23565663.1079733162661.JavaMail.javamailuser@localhost... > We are looking to upgrade our servers (3) to either 2000 server or 2003 server. > > I was looking for some advice on which would be better for a civil engineering company running Land Desktop 2004 (soon 2005). with about 30 CAD users. We pull our drawings and projects from the servers. Our workstations are all P4 1.6-2.8HT with either Win200 Pro or XP Pro. The servers are currently all NT Server and all faster then a P4 1.7 > > Out email and website are all hosted outside the office so that won't be a factor.
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

thanks for the advice everyone. I may just go up to 2003. As of now we aren't useing network licensing for LDD, we've just been using standalone licenses. I am planning on looking into the network deploy for 2005, but i am not sure what all is involved in that yet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report