Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security system / Softlock license manager error

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
p.j.luddy
98343 Views, 17 Replies

Security system / Softlock license manager error

I recently downloaded a student version of Autodesk Autocad Architecture 2014 and it ran without any issues on my new Windows 8 laptop. However due to other problems with the laptop I needed to reset the system and therefore needed to reinstall the programme. The reinstallation worked but once I  attempted to start Autocad I encountered the following error message "The security system (Softlock license manager) is not functioning or is improperly installed". I've read through many online discussions which advise on how to resolve the issue, such as dealing with the FlexNet service or attempting a full reinstall on more than 2 occasions, however none of these have seemed to resolve the issue. I was hoping that someone could help me in finding a solution to this very irritating problem.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
david.lau
in reply to: p.j.luddy

Uninstall the software and re-install it.  I would use a BROWSER Download of the software.  Once the file is downloaded, I would rename C:\Autodesk to C:\Autodesk2 before extracting it.

David Lau
Message 3 of 18
dembkod

p.j.luddy,

Hello. Have you tried to delete the TSF.data file?

It will resemble this: ADSKFLEX_NUMBERS_TSF.data. It should be located here:

Windows XP:

Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet

Vista/Windows 7:

C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet

Find this file and change the extension to something different, like ADSKFLEX_NUMBERS_TSF.data.BAK or completely move it from this folder. We don’t want to destroy it, just get it out of the way.

After it is moved or renamed, start the program. A new TSF DATA file will be created and possibly a log file. If the program now works, great, if not, delete the NEW TSF.DATA file and the log and place the original file back in this location, or rename back to ADSKFLEX_NUMBERS_TSF.data

Now try to start the program. If you are asked to register, do so and you should be set.

Thank you for taking part in our community!

David Dembkoski
Message 4 of 18
p.j.luddy

Hi, first of all, thank you for your help. I had attempted both these solutions before but neither worked, however after your response I decided to give it another go and reinstalled the programme. Once again it did not work as the "Security system / Softlock license manager error" popped up, so i tried dealing with the FlexNet files and that didn't work either. I am still very confused as to how this keeps happening. Should I try to install the standard AutoCad programme and see if that works? Any further solutions or advice would be extremely helpful.

Message 5 of 18
p.j.luddy

Today I spotted the solution to my problem on another thread ( http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/softlock-license-manger-error-message/td-p/3002... )

It seems that all you have to do is:

1) Close any running applications or files or internet browsers

2) Cut the actual "FLEXnet" file ( found at C:\ProgramData )

3) Paste this file onto your desktop

4) Startup AutoCad and it should be running without issue

Thanks again for your help and in turn I hope this can solve this irriatating problem for anyone else who may be struggling with it.

Message 6 of 18
babymeo18

hi.. i did all the steps but still does not work.. what else to do please.. i need your help.. please.. 😞

Message 7 of 18
AliNaki

Thank you! it helps a lot!
Message 8 of 18
emberjan8

i am using autocad 2013 and it was working with windows 8.  I installed in compatibility mode

when i upgraded to windows 8.1, autocad 2013 failed to open...it shows 'softlock license manager error'

i tried to reinstall the autocad 2013 but i got the same error...please help

Message 9 of 18
alinmohseni

Dear Sir,

In win8.1 I got trouble to open AutoCAD Civil3D 2014, like "The security system (Softlock license manager) is not functioning or is improperly installed".

I tried all of the recommendations. None of them work.

Please, I seriously need that.

thank you.

Message 10 of 18
pedro_santos_31

Hi Guys!

I have recently installed windows 8.1 and the solution doesnt work.

Does one anyone have a new solution for this problem? I am using AutoCad2014

Take care

Message 11 of 18

Have you found a solution?
Message 12 of 18
mkocisz
in reply to: pedro_santos_31

I have windows 8 and autocad 2013.

I deleted the log file and after this turn on FLEX services and it's working after computer restart. 

thanks

Message 13 of 18
n.minhtuan

Thank you so much. That's very helpful. My CAD is working well now

Message 14 of 18
nick.leewh

It work... thanks.

Message 15 of 18
ricardogomes_arq
in reply to: mkocisz

Hello friend! Turning on Flex services made this solution Works. Thank you very much!
Message 16 of 18
asoucek
in reply to: ricardogomes_arq

we have two workstations that are licensed to use autocad maps 2012, via a the licensing server on our network, which stores the GIS data files. The program hasn't been launched in years, and now cannot find it's license file. I tried disconnecting the network cable to launch it and get it to license locally, generated a new license file, moved the files at c:\program Data\flexnet\ .... data to a subfolder c:\program Data\flexnet\old\....data launched the program, pointed it at the new license file. and I get the error [-15.570.0] The security system (softlock license manager) is not functioning or is improperly installed. I don't see any Autodesk or softlock licensing services running on this pc. I don't want to uninstall/reinstall for fear of losing customizations... Any suggestions appreciated.
Message 17 of 18
dmeekMY8ET

Would you believe I have the same problem with the softlock licence manager.

Installed educational version of Autocad 2016 running on windows 10 - 32 bit. Educational version of Inventor 2015 works fine on the same machine.

I've tried all the steps tricks and tips I can find; deleting/removing the flexnet folder and files, flexnet service running (tried stopping and starting it.

Uninstalled - clean reinstalled, virus off, UAC off, installed and run as admin, still no luck.

I must say the security on this version is very good. Odd that inventor runs fine - I'm about to give up ...

Any other suggestions.

Message 18 of 18
marcavellana

thank you sir @p.j.luddy, this solved my security system issues...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report