Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STUDENTS - MAYA & MAX .dll isn't compatible

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
c-kharper
706 Views, 6 Replies

STUDENTS - MAYA & MAX .dll isn't compatible

Ok so I get this error when I load Max or any other Autodesk product after installing (I've installed all types 2011/12/13)

'C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_42.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support'

I've reinstalled way too many times now and I've done clean installations too. I'm not on a network and I am the administrator for my PC. I have a quad core AMD processor with a 1GB graphics card and 8GB of RAM so it's above the minimum system requirements. I'm running a 64-bit of Windows 7 Home Premium if that also helps.

Has anybody else had this problem or know how to solve it?

Cheers,

- Kai

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: c-kharper

It's probably as simple as updating your Microsoft DirectX runtimes. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 7
c-kharper
in reply to: TravisNave

I did the download and I have the latest runtime of DirectX. Is there anything else you can recommend please?

Cheers,

- Kai

Message 4 of 7
TravisNave

Yes.  Go to C:\Windows\System32 and locate the d3dx9_42.dll file.  Rename the extension to .bak.  Then try launching the application again.  Windows 7 does not use DirectX 9.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 7
c-kharper

Now it's coming up with this message:

'The program can't start because d3dx9_42.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.'

Shall I reinstall and see if that solves it?

Cheers,

- Kai

Message 6 of 7
TravisNave

Yes.  Now would be the time to do so.  Let me know the results.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 7
TravisNave

Just in case, here is the file from one of my Windows 7 computers that was installed with Autodesk software.  Unzip and copy into your System32 folder.  It might work for ya.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report