Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit installation microsoft visual studio sp1 errors and crash

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
mike_t_g
1436 Views, 13 Replies

Revit installation microsoft visual studio sp1 errors and crash

Hello,

Another problem with the install of Revit 2012 (student download) i'm afraid.

When trying to install the program it is successfull until stage 6 of 9 remaining at which an error appears stating that a version of microsoft visual studio 2008 is already installed and i should update all previous versions to sp1. I tried to do this but when updating via the microsoft site it says that there is no compatible installation.
After clicking ok, the whole of my desktop disappears and the instal appears to carry on but is just stuck half way through stage 5 of 9. I have left it for 2 hours and the bar made no progression.The install will not cancel or allow me to return to windows and I am forced to start task manager and logout in order to restart.

I am not sure if the crashing problem is related to the error message.

I have tried the install both with and without my virus protection running.

My laptop is a toshiba (will get back to you with the model)
Windows 7 SP1
intel i5  2410m  @ 2.3GHZ
6GB RAM 

Any advice woudl be great!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Can you try to upload the log files? It is under the temp directory.

To locate your temp directory:

START > RUN > %TEMP% Enter

Timmy De Austria
Product Support | Up and Ready Blog | If my reply was helpful, please Kudo or Accept as Solution. 😉
Message 3 of 14
mike_t_g
in reply to: mike_t_g

Here is the setup log file, hopefully it isthe right one!

The install file is 14mb and it wont let me upload it for some reason...
I have attached the log details from a selection of the middle and end. Hopefully these help!
Mike 

Message 4 of 14

Before running setup, check and cleanup the .NET Framework installed on your machine.

You can use the tool that you can find here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Please download and install .NET Framework 4.0 from here:

Uninstall .NET Framework from Control Panel and Reinstall by downloading .NET Framework from here:
Here is a link to the download for the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0:
Standalone
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a391abd-25c1-4fc0-919f-b21f31ab88b7

Web Installer
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17851

I briefly looked at the log files you uploaded. Did you asked for the Service Pack to be installed too during Setup? If you did, do not include the Service Pack on installation. Install Service Pack separately. Do a separate installation for Design Review as well.

Hope this helps.

Timmy De Austria
Product Support | Up and Ready Blog | If my reply was helpful, please Kudo or Accept as Solution. 😉
Message 5 of 14
mike_t_g

No luck unfortunately.

I uninstalled the .NET framework and cleaned up as suggesed, followed by re-installing the .net 4 framework. Then tried the revit install again minus the updates as you suggested, the exact same things happened. Error message appears saying visual studio should be updated, installation continues and then my windows and desktop all dissapear leaving jsut the install window which does not progress (at stage "5 of 9 remaining"). Forced logoff and restart through task manager.
Attached are screenshots of the microsoft framework programs etc as seen in my installed progs window. Could there be a conflict somewhere? Perhaps I should uninstall microsoft visual studio? although i am not sure what other programs use this in the background since I also use AutoCAD and the adobe creative suite... so would like your advice...

Mike

Message 6 of 14
neudesign

I had the same issues, almost exactly. However as I was reading over the information, all of a sudden it decided to fix iteself. My bottom bar (that shows me all my open programs) has dissappeared. However, I am going to restart it now and hope for the best. My computer, too, was a Toshiba, almost the same specs.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 14
mike_t_g

Ah, perhaps it is a Toshiba issue! A conflict somewhere. Please let me know if you find a solution !

Thanks

Message 8 of 14
w.a.undre

I have a solution, i believe that the issue is common with toshiba models,

If you have a 64-bits computer, you need to check not only the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DevDiv\VC\Servicing\9.0 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DevDiv\VC\Servicing\9.0\RED\1033
and ensure that the SP and SPIndex values are 1 and that the SPName is SP1 (I had done that and the keys were ok but I was still having the problem), but you must also chek the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\9.0 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\9.0\VSR\1033
and also ensure that the SP and SPIndex values are 1 and that theSPName is SP1, which I had not done!  The SP and SPIndex values were 0 and the SPName was RTM.  I changes them to 1 and SP1 respectively.  Note that it is a bit strange since I had never installed any version of VS 2008 on this machine!

Please see link below,

http://www.openspan.com/Community/index.php/component/kb/article/why_do_i_get_an_error_installing_th... 

Message 9 of 14
zzelaz09
in reply to: w.a.undre

Im getting the same message during install. Previously I ignored it, by closing the window. The installation 

finished succesfully, but afterwards Revit was runnig very slowly, and some 

files were missing like template files and the Family Library.... 😞

Now Im trying to reinstall again and I found lot of usefull info in this thread. 

But Im no computer expert, colud someone please explan what "registry keys" is and how it works? 

Message 10 of 14
zzelaz09
in reply to: zzelaz09

And its a Toshiba too ..... new 😉

Message 11 of 14
zzelaz09

Sorry for not wirting stuff inone post. 

Im no computer expert, so please help:

I sucseed in opening up the registy editor and I chagend those: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DevDiv\VC\Servicing\8.0 (its 8.0 instead of 9.0 - does that mean anything important?)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\9.0

But I couldnt find these:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DevDiv\VC\Servicing\9.0\RED\1033

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DevDiv\VS\Servicing\9.0\VSR\1033

and no field looking like "SP name". 

Please help the miserable... 😛 

Message 12 of 14
w.a.undre

HIya mate.

If your revit installs and opens up, do not change anything in the registry, to get the extras and the libraries to work in revit, you should add this content when you install (small arrow when selecting Autodesk Revit at install screen). I added the us metric and us imperial packages and this generally gets you the conceptual massing templates etc.

regards Wasim

Message 13 of 14
zzelaz09

Okay thanks, but I don't get

where the small arrow you are talking

about is... 

My install window looks now like

at the pic I have attached.

Message 14 of 14
w.a.undre

You need to uninstall revit and the material libraries from control panel/prgrams and features. When you reinstall the program, you will see the arrow on the screen that same screen.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report