Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Structure 2012 Update 1 taking forever to install

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
mike.burke
2911 Views, 9 Replies

Revit Structure 2012 Update 1 taking forever to install

I have started installing Revit Structure 2012 Update 1 on two XP 64 bit computers.

It's now 3 hours later and it still hasn't finished. There is no CPU activity at all. There is a log file called cp_install.log being updated from time to time, so something is happening.

I have never had this problem before with Revit 2011 updates on these computers before. Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Mike

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mike.burke
in reply to: mike.burke

Finished. Took just under 4 hours for each computer.

Painful.

Let's hope this is not the norm.

Message 3 of 10
MarkMcDonough

I haven't experienced the issue with Revit Structure 2012 Update 1 (as I haven't done such an install yet), but while at a customer site setting up their Revit Architecture 2012, I re-edited their network AdminImage installs to include Update 1, but the progress bar on the download would go into an infinite loop... the bar moving forward abit then restarting from scratch, over and over.  I tried this from a couple different computers, same problem.  So I downloaded Update 1 EXE manually, extracted out the MSP within, then was able to add the MSP version to the AdminImage installer; which when deployed from the AdminImage, installed normally and without any super long delay.  Possibly a different situation, but possibly related too.

Message 4 of 10
VinceWang

I'm installing Revit Architecture 2012 and its stucked in the Install-Installation over 2 hours with the progress bar stuck in the middle. Before the installation I'd configured and downloaded the service pack, could this be the reason?

Message 5 of 10
MarkMcDonough
in reply to: VinceWang

Vince, it's hard to say whether it is getting stuck on the service pack, but my guess is, something else is going on.  Your install is taking a lot of time on 4 of 7 install components (based on your jpg), which is titled Autodesk Revit Architecture 2012, so it is probably working on the actual main Revit Architecture 2012 install piece and not yet reached the update (can't remember when it installs the update, whether it titles it as doing an Update or whether it uses the same main application title). You can attempt an installation again, then watch the titles for each component being installed (7 of 7, 6 of 7, 5 of 7, etc).  If you see the title "Autodesk Revit Architecture 2012" a second time, it's having a problem with installing the update.

The problem people are experiencing in this thread is with the initial download of the Updates, not with the installation of the update, where the Update download takes an exceptionally long time, or seems stuck in a loop and doesn't finish even if allowed to run for an hour or more.   I've reported this to Autodesk, but the issue hasn't received traction, they suggest it's a problem with Customer's internet speed.  I believe otherwise, as in the past several months, I've done many installations of Building Design Suite Premium and Ultimate, including all three Revit versions (arch, mep, struct.). The Revit updates are the only ones out of the 10 (premium) or 13 (ultimate) products that stall, or take an extraordinary amount of time to download, or generally fail to download for some reason. I've experienced the Update download problem on the majority of Customer sites I have been to.  The best bet, as I stated before, is to have the Updates pre-downloaded, extract out the MSP file within, and then opt to provide the update (MSP) from a file rather than attempt the built-in download.

Message 6 of 10
VinceWang
in reply to: MarkMcDonough

Hi Mark, thanks for the indepth reply it helped. The installation finished in about 4 hours. It got stuck at the 'Revit Architecture' part for a long time so I got worried. When I was downloading the service pack I the first time I use a wireless USB adaptor granted its not as fast as my inbuilt intel wireless but neverless worked, however, i realised that with this installation window is unable to connect to server thus the serivce pack is unable to download. So the problem that some people are facing might lie within the wireless device itself.

Message 7 of 10
MarkMcDonough
in reply to: VinceWang

That's good news Vince, glad you finally managed to get Revit installed, thanks for reporting the wireless aspect of the problem in your case.  In contrast, and just to be clear about my past experience on numerous customer sites to install various Revit versions and the Building Design Suites with Revit in them, the built-in Update downloader within the AdminImage network installer would stall or loop endlessly, or take an exceeding long time to download, or would flat out fail to download the Update, all of the cases had fast direct internet connections, not wireless internet.  It was possible to separately download a Revit Update in a minute or so, yet attempting to do it through the AdminImage network installer it could take an hour or more, or never finish... so something seems wrong with the built-in Updates specifically for the 3 Revit versions, not an issue with any of the other products within the Design Suites... just Revit.

Message 8 of 10
mike.burke
in reply to: MarkMcDonough

Mark,

I agree with your views about the Revit update install process and it's the only Autodesk product we have update issues with.

We have now SCCM packaged it and no longer have to deal with the issue - until the next update.

Message 9 of 10

Mark-

I am experiencing this issue with update 2. Can you explain, in-depth, how you:

So I downloaded Update 1 EXE manually, extracted out the MSP within, then was able to add the MSP version to the AdminImage installer; which when deployed from the AdminImage, installed normally and without any super long delay.  Possibly a different situation, but possibly related too.

I am not familiar with MSP or AdminImage installer. Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 10 of 10

Shawn, you will only need to extract out the MSP from the EXE if you're using the AdminImage installer to create a Network Deployment for a network version of Revit.  If you are installing a standalone Revit license, just download the service pack (Update2) conventionally and apply it after you've installed Revit.

To extract out the MSP, do the following:

1.  Do a conventional download of Revit Architecture 2012 Update 2.
2.  For easy typing, make a folder off the root of your C: drive, such as C:\Updates
3.  Copy Revit Update 2 into that folder.
4.  Windows Start > cmd   (in XP, Start > Run > cmd)
5.  In the DOS Window, type in:  cd \Updates     (to make sure you're in same folder via DOS)
6.  In the DOS Window, use the syntax:  UpdateFileName.exe /e UpdateFileName.msp
    ...actual:
    Autodesk_Revit_Architecture_2012-x64_Update-2.exe /e Autodesk_Revit_Architecture_2012-x64_Update-2.msp

TIP: since it's a pain to type long names correctly into a DOS window, consider renaming the downloaded Update2 file beforehand, to something shorter like RevArch2012-64-SP2.exe; then you could use type the following line:
    RevArch2012-64-SP2.exe /e RevArch2012-64-SP2.msp

7.  The .MSP file extracts out of the .EXE file in the same folder.

8.  Copy the extracted MSP file to a folder close to your network AdminImage location.  Then when using the AdminImage installer process and going through the install options, deselect the automatic download of the Update, and use the option below it to specify a local file instead, navigate to your MSP file version of Update2.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report