Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Architecture 2013 Missing Families on Install

37 REPLIES 37
Message 1 of 38
TrendyGuy
53972 Views, 37 Replies

Revit Architecture 2013 Missing Families on Install

Hello all,

I am brand new to Revit. I just performed a clean install of Revit Architecture 2013 without changing any options and I can not seem to find any of the families. All I want are the default families that come with the program. The program works great but when I go to say place a door there are no families. I went into the options and checked the default families path which is "ProgamData\Autodesk\RAC 2013\Family Templates\English_I" but there is absolutely nothing located in that folder nor have I been able to located a folder that has anything in it. Any help with getting the program setup properly would be greatly appreciated.

37 REPLIES 37
Message 21 of 38
shazeb_rockz
in reply to: TrendyGuy

same problem i am encounterig....
infact i dont evn hav RAC folder....
any solution???

Message 22 of 38
DannyHubbard
in reply to: shazeb_rockz

You have to have an internet connection as the content is downloaded durning the install process.

One other thing you may try is the following document.

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS19331146

Thanks,

Danny

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 23 of 38
rjolitz
in reply to: DannyHubbard

Hi,

I'm trying to install Revit Architecture 2013, but get the following error:

I've downloaded it twice already, so it isn't a download error. How can I fix this? Thanks!

Message 24 of 38
ranced

first of all I would not waste your time with 2013 I have found fare too many problems I would go for revit 2012 this perrticual revit has architect structure and mep all in one plus 2012 is rather stable in compare to 2013.

If you still want to stick to 2013 and having problems with family/ library I would find a computer with working revit any from 2006 to 2013 the library in all of them are similar and have not really changed.

copy from one working revit and paste into your library 

Message 25 of 38
shazeb_rockz
in reply to: shazeb_rockz

sir my internet connection is always ACTIVE
i tried evry possiblle thing
installed it more than 10 times now yet encountering same problem

any solution sir???

Message 26 of 38
thanikanew2

You can download family components seperately.search and dowload after that place the files in

C>program Data>Autodesk>RAC2013

then choose these path default in app menu option

Message 27 of 38
SADsupport

Ok folks...here's what I got to work as this thread doesn't really explain what needs to be done and why.

1. Get connected to the Internet

2. Add https://*.autodesk.com and http://*.autodesk.com to Control Panel -> Internet Options, click the Security tab and then click on Trusted sites (green checkmark) and then click the Sites button to add them. You will need to turn off the checkbox that requires https to add the http only exception.

3. Go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features depending on your version of Windows

4. Click on the AutoDesk Revit 2013 item in the list and then click on Remove/Change or Uninstall/Change depending on your version of Windows

5. Now it gets interesting, per the instructions in prior posts, click on Add or Remove Features option in the Revit installer screen that opens

6. Now, two get installed by default, Imperial and Metric for US users, uncheck the one you want and leave the other checked

7. Click next and let it do its thing

8. Guess what, do it again, go to the Revit 2013 item in the Add/Remove Programs - Programs and Features Control Panel and walk through the steps above but this time uncheck the one you don't want and check the one you do want, I chose US - Imperial and unchecked the Metric option

9. Click next

If all goes well you should see a "Revit Preparing Content" dialog which will mean that it downloaded the templates and is now extracting them into place. If it yells at you about a CD, click past that. It still worked for me.

What a ridiculous flaw in the installer! How come this hasn't been fixed? My guess is it won't get fixed now that 2014 is out. That didn't seem to have a problem installing so they seem to have fixed that issue with the new version.

Good luck all. BTW, my Windows firewall, Symantec Endpoint and Malwarebytes were all running happily while doing this. My guess is it was the trusted sites issue and then a bug in the installer that wasn't actually putting the templates in place.

Message 28 of 38
dgt.mantis
in reply to: SADsupport

OMG!!!  If I could downvote all of the responses from the Autodesk guys I would.  They were absolutely no help.

Follow SADsupport.

Thank you sooooo much for this SADsupport.  It worked exactly as you outlined it.  I wish I could give you 100 kudos.

For anyone else that finds this, FYI for Windows 7 users:

The second time you install the content you actually want (Imperial for us in the states) it may give you a popup that says it's missing a .msi file.  Its a really long name and asks you to browse to it.  Just click canel and then it will say there was an error and Windows Installer will shutdown.  Click "OK" and the revit progress will still complete. 

Thanks again SADsupport!!!

Message 29 of 38
KennyGJr
in reply to: ranced

Hi,

I like your suggestion, but if you're taking a student class, they only let you download 2013 and 2014 version of Revit.  I can't download the old version.  So we're kind of stuck with this problem.

I've tried copying over some templates like you mentioned, over to the Revit folder library/template folders, but how do you load new walls?  When I hit the "Edit Type", when making a new wall, I don't have the option to add walls.  I only have 3 walls to choose from, Basic, Curtain and Stacked. 

Any ideas as to how to add more wall to the Revit library?

FYI, I'm having the same problem as everyone else when it comes to installing Revit.  I opened all my Firewalls and let Autodesk through on security, and the files still didn't download.  I think Autodesk, you need to fix something in the downloading process of Revit, casuse not everything is getting downloaded.

Ken

Message 30 of 38
KennyGJr
in reply to: SADsupport

I tried the method you mentioned, but the folder just end up empty.  It's not working for me.

I'm going to try installing 2014 and doing this trick on this version.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Message 31 of 38
rsc.shivam

Message 32 of 38
jcvekariya

Hello all,

I am new to Revit. I just performed a clean install of Revit Architecture 2013 without changing any options and I can not seem to find any of the families. All I want are the default families that come with the program. The program works great but when I go to say place a door there are no families. I went into the options and checked the default families path which is "ProgamData\Autodesk\RAC 2013\Family Templates\English_I" but there is absolutely nothing located in that folder nor have I been able to located a folder that has anything in it. Any help with getting the program setup properly would be greatly appreciated

Message 33 of 38

From your description, specifically the comment that your ProgamData\Autodesk\RAC 2013\Family Templates\English_I folder is empty, it sounds like the content associated with Revit Architecture 2013 was not installed properly.  The simplest solution would be to uninstall and reinstall the required content packs, which can be accomplished through the following steps:

1. Open Windows Control Panel and navigate to the Uninstall a Program page.

2. Select the Revit Architecture 2013 entry and click Uninstall/Change.

3. In the Revit Architecture 2013 maintenance dialog, click Add or Remove Features.  You may need to be patient here as it can take a while before the next page is displayed.

4. Disable the checkboxes associated with each content pack and then click Next.  You'll get a warning that no content is selected but that's OK and you can dismiss this dialog.

5. When the updating process completes, click Finish.

6. Repeat steps 1 through 3.

7. Enable the checkboxes associated with the content packs you wise to install and then click Next.

Please note that you need a live internet connection during this process because the Revit content is downloaded.  Also, the amount of time required to complete this process will vary depending on the number of content packs you've selected as well as the speed of your internet connection.  Some individuals have reported that they need to let this process run overnight before it completed.

Hope this helps to get your content installed!!

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Revit Software QA Analyst
Message 34 of 38
mostafaBINsaied

@TrendyGuy wrote:

Hello all,

I am brand new to Revit. I just performed a clean install of Revit Architecture 2013 without changing any options and I can not seem to find any of the families. All I want are the default families that come with the program. The program works great but when I go to say place a door there are no families. I went into the options and checked the default families path which is "ProgamData\Autodesk\RAC 2013\Family Templates\English_I" but there is absolutely nothing located in that folder nor have I been able to located a folder that has anything in it. Any help with getting the program setup properly would be greatly appreciated.

Message 35 of 38
binusmul
in reply to: ranced

Can you upload family and templates of utodesk revit 2014 structural ..please

Message 36 of 38
jimenez.se
in reply to: DannyHubbard

Just doesn't work
Message 37 of 38
haseebsarwar42

I have the use problem but I load family and there I saw double door and now every thing is fine
Message 38 of 38
haseebsarwar42

I have the same problem but I load family and there I saw double door and now every thing is fine

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report