Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Architect Series 2010 and Timeoutall Feature in Opt file

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
ChuckB
566 Views, 16 Replies

Revit Architect Series 2010 and Timeoutall Feature in Opt file

Is anyone else having a problem with the "timeoutall" feature with Revit 2010? When a person leaves the program inactive for the length of the timeout specified, Revit 2010 seems to lose it's connection to the license server. Which is normal, but then when they start working again, it doesn't automatically grab a new license. It tells them they have the choice of closing or going into Demo mode. Not good.
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
TravisNave
in reply to: ChuckB

This generally happens when there are no licenses available. Have you checked your NLM status enquiry and debug.log file to make sure that it wasn't getting denied a license due to none being available? Also, in rare cases the computer may have disabled the NIC for powersave mode during long periods of idle. This could also affect the network connectivity and should be disabled in your NIC properties.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 17
spm5

I have the same problem. I know it is not because there are no licenses available. It appears to be a problem with revit 2010 and license timeouts.
Message 4 of 17
ChuckB

I got the following reply from Autodesk. I just upgraded to Flex LM Version 11.5 and will let you know if that resolved the problem.

Message from Adesk:

Hello Chuck,

Thank you for choosing Autodesk Support.

As I understand the issue, Revit 2010 doesn’t grab a new license when it times out as Revit 2009 did. We need some additional information to find out what the issue is.

1. Are you using FlexLM 11.4 or 11.5? FlexLM 11.4 is not supported for use with the 2010 version of the product. If you are not running the 11.5 version of FlexLM, please install it from the disk.

2. Do you have the same issues after installing and configuring FlexLM 11.5?
Message 5 of 17
spm5

I am using 11.5. It still happens.
Message 6 of 17
ChuckB

That is very discouraging news. This is going to be a deal breaker for us upgrading the whole office anytime soon.
Message 7 of 17
TravisNave

Does it still happen if you update to the latest version of the NLM, 11.6.1?

http://www.globes.com/support/fnp_utilities_download.htm

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 8 of 17
ChuckB

I upgraded to 11.5 which is included on the installation disk and it still was having the problem. I just copied down the 3 EXE files from the link you sent and restarted the license server. I verfied that I am running version 11.6.1.0 Build 66138 i86_n3. I launched Revit and waited 30 minutes (our specified time out period) and it is still losing it's connection to the license server. This problem exists with LMTools versions 11.4, 11.5 and 11.6.
Message 9 of 17
JTBWorld

Have you tried this tip just in case?

http://blog.jtbworld.com/2007/05/flexlmtimeout-helps-with-network.html

Jimmy Bergmark

JTB World

http://www.jtbworld.com

Jimmy Bergmark
JTB World - Software development and consulting for CAD and license usage reports
https://jtbworld.com

Message 10 of 17
TravisNave

What is recorded in your debug log file when this happens?

Autodesk Forums:
Message 11 of 17
ChuckB

Nothing that looks signifigant. For example, I open a file and get:
13:55:37 (adskflex) OUT: "65900REVITS_F" 10499@C-0439
13:55:37 (adskflex) OUT: "74200REVITS_2010_0F" 10499@C-0439

Then after 30 minutes of inactivity I get:

14:44:42 (adskflex) IN: "65900REVITS_F" 10499@C-0439 (INACTIVE)
14:44:42 (adskflex) IN: "74200REVITS_2010_0F" 10499@C-0439 (INACTIVE)

But Revit won't grab another license until I exit out and reopen the program.

Chuck Edited by: chuckb on Apr 28, 2009 3:03 PM
Message 12 of 17
ChuckB

Hey Jimmy,

Thanks for the tip. I tried specifying the environment variable that you suggested but it didn't help. I believe this might be a bug with Revit 2010. I've let Autodesk know but haven't gotten a solution or work-around yet. For now, I am holding on any upgrades to 2010. I'll post back here if I find a solution.

Chuck
Message 13 of 17
hsaias

Hi, Lisbon here.
I have the same problem. But here it doesn't take a long inactive period to lose the license.
Randomly Revit shows the "Unable to obtain a floating license" message.
And the "Use Extension" option doesn't allow a Save operation, resulting in the loss of all work since last Save.

This is critical, because I am deploying Revit Architecture 2010 to 30 users now.
Message 14 of 17
BjornAlsmark5330

Has anyone got a fix for this yet?

We have 6 Revit 2010 seats to trial but are looking in to upgrading 50 of our AutoCAD Architecture seats to Revit, but I feel reluctant now. We are experiencing the same problems that Revit looses the connection to the license server when it times out, however after hitting use extention we regain the connection to the server after about 2 to 5minutes later. But it's a really irritating wait before you can continue to work. But sometimes it does happen that a user doesn´t regain the connection and is forced to restart with loss of work as a result.

Regards//
Björn
Message 15 of 17
PBAarch

We are having similar problems with losing license connection in Revit 2010. I have had service requests going on for about two months now with no resolution, just being told they are working on it. One work around that has been somewhat successful is for users to check out a license, which kind of defeats the purpose of using a license server. But we now have a user that doesn't have a license checked out but shows up in the LMtools server status, so we have lost a license and are down to 5 out of 6 of our Suite licenses. Not a good situation.
Message 16 of 17
Mike.Lapinski.SG

Yes, this is a known issue with Revit 2010. For more information, check out this Autodesk video in which they discuss this issue and other frequently encountered problems with 2010 products. It's called "Batten down the hatches - Revit 2010".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI2BCCi5zHA
Message 17 of 17
john.negus

Has there been any progress made with this problem yet? Turning off the TIMEOUT is fine for those with a few licenses, but useless for those of us with large production environments. We pay an extra AU$2000+ for network licenses but the current "workaround" makes this wasted money. Come on guys, give us a break.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report