Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2013 installation using a GPO

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Simon_Weel
1094 Views, 4 Replies

Revit 2013 installation using a GPO

I've been struggling with this for previous versions and AutoCAD as well. Rolling out a Revit or AutoCAD deployment using a GPO is difficult. The problem is not Revit or AutoCAD, but the miscellaneous files it needs, like the Microsoft Visual C++ stuff etc. The installation manual fails to address the installation of these third-party files using a GPO. IMHO, this could easily be solved - if only Autodesk would create a single MSI file to install _all_ the stuff.

As long as that MSI file isn't there, one needs to use other ways to install the third party stuff. There are numerous ways to do this, but there's a simpler way. There's a nifty little utility called 'Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard' on the net. With this, you can create a MSI file that simply executes an executable file, including parameters. I almost forgot about it, but it came to mind when I was trying to deploy Revit 2013. "What if I use WWIW to create a MSI file that simply executes the command in the Revit 2013 installation shortcut?" I thought. This would install Revit from a GPO like if I installed it using the shortcut - including all third party stuff.

Unfortunately, this turned out to be a challenge as well. For some reason, creating a MSI file that simply executes the command in the shortcut (like "<path>\Revit 2013 x64\AdminImage\Setup.exe" /qb /I <path>\Revit 2013 x64\AdminImage\Revit 2013.ini /language en-us) doesn't do anything.

So I created a batchfile holding this line. I then created a MSI file that executes the batchfile. Low and behold, this works! - sort of. It works fine when executed from Windows Explorer. When I put it in a GPO and reboot Windows, I very briefly see a message Revit 2013 is installing, When I check out the Windows eventlog, it reports an error executing the self-created MSI file. Bummer.

My guess is it has something to do with the way the Revit Setup program runs. This Setup program simply runs another file and then terminates. The other installation file takes over, but the self-created MSI file probably thinks it's finished, so it terminates also. The same thing happens if I use 'Start /Wait' in the batchfile; the batchfile is terminated while the installation is still running.

So what I need is a way to check if the installation has finished? For example, I could add some lines to my batchfile to check for the very last file in the installation. As long as that file doesn't exist, it will loop, keeping the batchfile running. Or check for a registry entry etc. Thing is, how do I find out which file is the last one copied or registry key added last?

Or maybe there's something similar to WWIW but better? WWIW displays a (c) 2007, so it's pretty old and website www.vinsvision.com doesn't exist anymore, so I think it will not be developed any further...

Simon

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
DannyHubbard
in reply to: Simon_Weel

Simon,

This is an interesting way to try and push the GPO install, all the times I have done a GPO install I always just packaged the Revit and Revit Language Pack MSI's as be the Help.

If you can get the Setup.exe to run through this method you don't need to worry about pre installing DirectX and the Visual C++ runtimes they will be install by setup.exe. You only need to install these ahead of time when installing directy from the MSI.

With your command string try adding the /W switch to tell setup to wait and see if that keeps if from closing on you.

Thanks,

Danny

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2013/Help/00005-More_Inf0/0138-Installa138/0182-Revit_Ne182/0...

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 5
Simon_Weel
in reply to: DannyHubbard

@DannyHubbard wrote:

With your command string try adding the /W switch to tell setup to wait and see if that keeps if from closing on you.

That did the trick - the MSI created with WWIW keeps running until Revit is completely installed. If run from a command line.

When I create a GPO to install that same MSI created with WWIW and reboot the machine, it briefly displays Revit is being installed, and then moves on with the normal Windows startup. Revit doesn't install. The Eventlog reads "Application Management event 108 - Failed to apply changes to software installation settings. Software changes could not be applied. Error ‰1605". Haven't found out yet what this is...

Simon

Message 4 of 5
DannyHubbard

Simon,

You might look at the log files in the C:\Windows\Temp folder to see if these are more details on what is failing or forcing the reboot.

Thanks,

Danny

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 5
DannyHubbard

Simon,

You might also check that the client machines already have .Net 4.0 installed, a deployment will fail if .Net 4.0 is not installed a head of time.

Thanks,

Danny

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report