Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2013 Educational Version does not initialize

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Aus01
891 Views, 15 Replies

Revit 2013 Educational Version does not initialize

Revit Installation green bar 100% done after that Revit 2013 picture saying initialization, program aborts how do I fix this !!! 8GB RAM, plenty of disk space.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Tony_Michniewicz
in reply to: Aus01

The cause of your problem is not clear based on the information you provided but we should be able to figure this out with some additional information, such as:

1. Did Revit 2013 ever run successfully on this computer or did it fail to run immediately after the installation was complete?

2. What operating system are you running on this computer?

3. Are there any other Autodesk products installed on this system?

4. Are there any messages/errors displayed when you attempt to launch Revit 2013 or do you only see the splash screen?  If so, can you use Windows Task Manager to determine if the Revit.exe process still running?

While you are answering these questions, it would be worth trying to repair or reinstall Revit 2013.  Both of these options can be accessed through the Windows Programs and Features dialog where the Revit 2013 uninstall can be launched.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Revit Software QA Analyst
Message 3 of 16
Aus01

Win 7/64 OS, AutoCAD 2011 and Revit 2011 Educational Version installed and works OK, Revit 2013 not installed in Control panel / programs & features, Revit 2013 Splash Screen displayed once then aborted. No messages displayed but error report to Autodesk emailed.

Message 4 of 16
Tony_Michniewicz

If the Programs and Features dialog does not include an entry for Revit 2013, that is a good indication that the installation did not complete successfully even though it may have appeared to have been.  My suggestion would be to use the Microsoft Fix It app, http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall, to uninstall any remnants of the current Revit 2013 installation.  Once that process is completed, I would re-install Revit 2013 and see if it is functional this time.  One good indication of the success of your install will be a Revit 2013 entry in the Programs and Features dialog.

I hope these suggestions help to get you up and running.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 5 of 16
Aus01

I tried to Install Revit 2013 in my std user account with the "run as admin" command, is that OK, I shall try your suggestion with "Fix It" in Admin account.

Message 6 of 16
Tony_Michniewicz

That could definitely be part of the problem as the Revit installation needs to be run by a Windows user with administrative privileges.  I would definitely recommend logging is as a member of the administrators groups or to temporarily upgrade the standard Windows user account to provide administrative privileges.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 7 of 16
Aus01

Thanks !!!   I installed in Admin a/c Revit 2013 works in std. user account too, when I start I get a path error to Template files etc.. what is the correct path to insert, refer attached file.

Message 8 of 16
Tony_Michniewicz

It appears that your installation of Revit completed successfully but it is not clear if any of the content was installed.  Judging by the screen captures you provided, it looks like you installed Revit 2013 using English imperial content in the default location so the following entries should be added to the list of project template files:

Construction Template - C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2013\Templates\US Imperial\Construction-Default.rte

Architectural Template - C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2013\Templates\US Imperial\default.rte

Structural Template - C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2013\Templates\US Imperial\Structural Analysis-Default.rte

Mechanical Template - C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2013\Templates\US Imperial\Mechanical-Default.rte

Once those entries are added, you should check whether the following Revit content was installed in the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2013 folder.

Family Templates - This folder should contain two sub-folders, English and English_I, which should both contain a large number of RFT files.

IES - This folder should contain a large number of IES files.

Libraries - This folder should contain two sub-folders, US Imperial and US Metric, which should both contain numerous sub-folders and RFA files.

Lookup Tables - This folder should contain two sub-folders, Conduit and Pipe, which should both contain a large number of CSV files.

Templates - This folder should contain two sub-folders, US Imperial and US Metric, which should both contain approximately 10 RTE files.

By the way, each of these description assumes that you installed Revit 2013 using the default content pack settings of US Imperial and US Metric.  If you are missing your Revit content files, I would recommend using the Programs and Features option in the Windows Control Panel to launch the Revit 2013 uninstall process.  In the initial dialog, click the Add or Remove Features option and in the next dialog, verify that the US Imperial and US Metric content packs are checked, then click Next.  This process should update your Revit content but be aware that the content needs to be downloaded from the web so you'll need an Internet connection and it may take a while depending on the speed of your connection.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 9 of 16
Aus01

I live in Australia hence Metric, I am using Metric version of Revit 2013, have drawn few walls in mm already, could you please re phrase your reply. In the first Initialization I selected Metric.

Message 10 of 16
Aus01

Here is my folder strucure as attached.

Message 11 of 16
Tony_Michniewicz

If your Windows region format is set to English (Australian), the Revit 2013 install should include the Australian content pack and this would also be your default content selection.  With this configuration, your default templates should be:

Construction Template - C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2013\Templates\Australia\Construction-DefaultAUSENU.rte

Architectural Template - C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2013\Templates\Australia\DefaultAUSENU.rte

Structural Template - C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2013\Templates\Australia\Structural Analysis-DefaultAUSENU.rte

Mechanical Template - C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2013\Templates\Australia\Mechanical-DefaultGBRENU.rte

Additionally, the default path for family template files should be:

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2013\Family Templates\English

And here is the content that you should find in the C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2013 folder:

Family Templates - This folder should contain one sub-folder, English, which should both contain a large number of RFT files as well as three sub-folders, Annotations, Conceptual Mass, and Titleblocks.

IES - This folder should contain a large number of IES files.

Libraries - This folder should contain one sub-folder, Australia, which should contain three sub-folders, Architecture, MEP and Structure, each of which should contain numerous sub-folders and RFA files.

Lookup Tables - This folder should contain two sub-folders, Conduit and Pipe, which should both contain a large number of CSV files.

Templates - This folder should contain one sub-folder, Australia, which should contain 8 RTE files.

Judging by your latest screen capture, it appears that your Revit content does not exist in the expected location.  This would occur if you change the content location during the Revit 2013 installation or if there was a problem during the download of Revit content.  If you didn't modify the content location during your installation, I would recommend the following steps:

1. Launch the Windows Control Panel.

2. Click the Uninstall a program link.

3. In the Programs and Features list, select Autodesk Revit 2013 and click Uninstall/Change.

4. On the Revit maintenance page, click Add or Remove Features.

5. On the Add or Remove content page, verify that the Australia content pack is enabled/checked and that the Default Content is set to English - Australia, then click Next.

This will launch the updating process and as long as you have an active Internet connection, the correct Revit content should be downloaded.  And remember that this process may take a while depending on your Internet connection speed.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 12 of 16
Aus01
in reply to: Tony_Michniewicz

In my Language Bar there are two Australian and US, there is a tick in front of Australia, re attached file. All I did was to run *.exe as administrator in user Administrator, there was no further input from me, I was connected to Internet at the time, 4G but slow I think.

Adesk 1.jpg

Message 13 of 16
Tony_Michniewicz

The dialog you included in your last posting does not contain the setting that the Revit installer uses to identify the content to be installed.  The Region and Language dialog contains the setting that determines which content will be installed and this dialog can be accessed through the following steps:

1. Access the Windows Control Panel.
  2. Click the Clock, Language, and Region link.
  3. Click the Region and Language link.

RegionLanguage.png

It is the language/country listed in the Format drop-down list that drives the content in the Revit installation.  Independent of which content is supposed to be installed, it is clear that your installation does not contain content so we have to resolve this problem.  Once again, I would recommend using the Add or Remove Features option of Revit maintenance to correct this problem.  Please bear in mind that there is a lot of content that needs to be downloaded and many people end up letting this process run overnight.

Tony Michniewicz
Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 14 of 16
Aus01

I think it is already set to Australia, in adding content, How do I select Change instead of Uninstall, I am concerned I may Uninstall Revit 2013 completely and not be able to install correctly.Adesk 2.jpg  

Message 15 of 16
Tony_Michniewicz

You're correct, the Australian Revit content should be installed based on your region format setting.  I wouldn't worry about uninstalling Revit by mistake because you would have to click Uninstall twice in order for that to happen.  After you complete step 3 (In the Programs and Features list, select Autodesk Revit 2013 and click Uninstall/Change.), you should see a dialog with three main buttons (Add or Remove Features, Repair or Reinstall, and Uninstall).  In this case, you want to click the Add or Remove Features button and as long as you don't click the Uninstall button and then another uninstall button in the next dialog, your Revit installation will be safe.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Message 16 of 16
Aus01

I finally plucked up the Courage to do it, Thanks Very Much !!!

Adesk 2.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report