Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2012 install freezes computer

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
adave
881 Views, 9 Replies

Revit 2012 install freezes computer

Using Windows 7 (new install).  Windows updates completed. Core 2 quad 2.5 ghz.

Revit Arch 2012

WHen I try to open the DVD to run setup, the hard drive light comes on steady, and the "waiting" icon comes on and just sits there spinning.   When I hit the "X" to kill the install, I get "not responding".

I've rebooted several times, and anything to do with the disk causes the pc to freeze.  I can sometimes get the Revit disk to open to view the contents, but then when I run Setup, it freezes again.

I have been running setup under Administrator.  Anyone have any suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
DarrenP
in reply to: adave

a bad disk maybe?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
adave
in reply to: DarrenP

Nope, apparently not.

I happen to have another fresh shrinkwrapped DVD, and it does the same thing.

I just rebooted Windows, and put the other DVD in, and immediately, the hard drive light comes on solid and stays that way.   I don't even have to try and open the disk.

When I go to shut dowm windows, it shuts down very slowly, until it is able to shut off the drive light, I guess.

Note that I just finished loading Autocad Architecture just fine. None of the problems I had with both Revit disks.

Message 4 of 10
DarrenP

then you may want to look at the hard drive going bad then

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
adave

I will look into it, but don't think that's it.  Loaded Autocad right away.  No other idications of a bad HD. Seems to have something to do with the DVD's themselves.  All other types of disks seem to read fine on this drive, it's just the Revit disks that freeze up the box.

Message 6 of 10
DarrenP

another thing you can try is copy the dvd to the harddrive and install from the harddrive

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
adave

I installed the Revit disk to a USB drive, and it's presently in the middle of installing, knock wood.

I noticed that one file (an.exe) would not copy from the DVD to the USB drive, so I downloaded a copy of that .exe file from the Autodesk site to complete the fileset on the usb drive. I guess the file was corrupted, because this appears to have solved the problem.

Thanks for suggestions.

Message 8 of 10
adave

Oh well, it bombed  with Error 1722.

Attached is error log.

Message 9 of 10
adave

Several days of trying different strategies, still no no luck.

Revit Architecture Setup is incomplete. Evidently not robust enough to handle difficulties that might arise with different configurations.   I have three install disks, they all failed, on two different computers.  Tried various other means, such as downloading .exe from Autodesk and running in diagnostic mode, running Fix It (Microsoft), transferring files and running from hard disk, all with same result.

I've got to try something radically different.  Any suggestions out there?

THanks

Message 10 of 10
adave

Got it working after 8 days of trying, am I brilliant or what? (answer: what)

Anyway, here's what seemed to work:

Windows 7 with Revit Arch 2012

The Revit Architecture install disks (all three) had some sort of problem (freezed up my pc when trying to access them), so I downloaded the .exe free trial file from Autodesk onto my desktop (BTW - 3GB file took 5 hrs to download).

Many attempts made to install throughout the week, trying various tricks suggested in this forum, and by Autodesk help. I disabled antivirus. I must've tried install 20 times with no luck.

Finally, at the suggestion of someone in this forum (can't find it now to give a kudo), I ran Microsoft Fix It, which offered to clean up installation process and uninstall apps of you choice (from a drop down list).  Revit was on the list.  I chose it, and  Fix it started clearing out all the myriad files that had been installed by the previous attempt at setup.  

After  Fix it, I ran the .exe file as Administrator, and only chose Revit Architecture on the install flash screen (leaving Library and Viewer for later), and it worked!   I then installed the Library, which also went without a hitch.

I know the above won't work for everyone, but Fix it worked first time for me.  Find Fix it by googling.

Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report