Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Desktop Server, Windows 7, and AutoCAD

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
austins
3183 Views, 13 Replies

Remote Desktop Server, Windows 7, and AutoCAD

My work has tasked me with coming up with a rack mount (or even non-rackmount) server for running AutoCAD.  Everything i have read says Windows 7.  Is this even a possible config?  Windows 7 + Rack Mount + Remote Desktop?  I would like to know if anyone else has used these products in this manner.  We only have a few (less than 5) people who would be using the computer for my company.  I need first to know if this is something possible, and second if so, what type of hardware would i need to order? (i.e. system requirements etc) Thanks in advance!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
michael.robertson
in reply to: austins

Are you wanting all 5 users to have the ability to use this machine (via remote) at the same time?

Do seperate user profiles need to be maintained for each user?

If the answer to the above is yes you will probably need to look into a Citrix type environment (or some form of virtualization).

If no then regular Win7 Remote desktop could be used but would not be as responsive as a local install.

What is the need for this machine? Cut down number of licenses, support, etc.

Any time you talk about sharing software you should really also check into the license language. Some licenses are for users some for machines (which could make a big difference in your situation)

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 3 of 14
TravisNave

Mike is right.  In fact, you must use Citrix rather than Remote Desktop or any other remote access solution.  Otherwise you are violating your license agreement.  Your solution must involve Citrix and the network license manager with a license created for that specific environment. 

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16785740&linkID=9240617

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 14
austins
in reply to: michael.robertson

@michael.robertson wrote:

Are you wanting all 5 users to have the ability to use this machine (via remote) at the same time?

Do seperate user profiles need to be maintained for each user?

If the answer to the above is yes you will probably need to look into a Citrix type environment (or some form of virtualization).

If no then regular Win7 Remote desktop could be used but would not be as responsive as a local install.

What is the need for this machine? Cut down number of licenses, support, etc.

Any time you talk about sharing software you should really also check into the license language. Some licenses are for users some for machines (which could make a big difference in your situation)

I do not need to have 5 simulataneous users.  At most maybe 2, most likely just 1.  I work for a small rural cell phone company.  Only 2 of us even have the knowledge to use AutoCAD and most likely there will be one person drafting or modeling at one time; a rare occasion both of us would need to use it.  We are however buying 5 seats for expansion in the future if we would need it, assuming we added other qualified persons to our department.  The question was more theoretical than actual.  We are purchasing AutoCAD and a propagation software called Forsk.  At the present time, i do not know how much system resources are used by Forsk and it depends on what kind of graphics and processing we are doing much like anything else.  So, i just was putting the question like a hypothetical sort of thing 🙂 IF we were to need to have 2 simultaneous sessions of the most intensive CAD program out there going at the same time, how much power would we need? (reality: 1 Forsk, 1 AutoCAD) i was just using the AutoCAD x2 simultaneous scenario as a base for system resource use and processing power etc. Thanks for all the input guys!  We very well may need a Citrix environment in the future as our company continues to grow! Thanks again for the feedback.

Message 5 of 14
michael.robertson

If you are a small company you may be better off (and cheaper) to just implement network licensing for your Autodesk product (don't know if Forsk supports network licensing).

Not sure if you know so I'll explain how network licenses work. Say you buy 2 licenses for your company, you can install AutoCAD on as many machines as you want, but only 2 people can use it at the same time.

Even if you don't have very powerful PC's, it would probably be cheaper (and easier to support for a small company) to buy upgraded pc's and network licensing than to buy a powerful enough server and a Citrix solution.

Mike Robertson
Message 6 of 14
austins

@michael.robertson wrote:

If you are a small company you may be better off (and cheaper) to just implement network licensing for your Autodesk product (don't know if Forsk supports network licensing).

Not sure if you know so I'll explain how network licenses work. Say you buy 2 licenses for your company, you can install AutoCAD on as many machines as you want, but only 2 people can use it at the same time.

Even if you don't have very powerful PC's, it would probably be cheaper (and easier to support for a small company) to buy upgraded pc's and network licensing than to buy a powerful enough server and a Citrix solution.

Oh ok nice.  I didn't know that was an option.  How does the software authenticate the licensing? Do all computers need to be on the same domain? 

Message 7 of 14
DarrenP

no

if the computer can ping the server with the license manger installed on it by hostname it should be able to grab a license

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
austins
in reply to: DarrenP

@DarrenP wrote:

no

if the computer can ping the server with the license manger installed on it by hostname it should be able to grab a license

I see! thanks for that bit.  Is the "license manager" software that can be installed on any computer on the network?

Message 9 of 14
DarrenP

yes

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
DarrenP

but there is an network activation fee you have to pay to make autocad a network license product

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
DarrenP

the fee is per license

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 12 of 14
michael.robertson

Austins,

Are any of your users mobile? If so, network licensing allows checkouts so you don't have to be on the network, BUT that checked out license is removed from the pool while checked out.

Just a heads up while your are planning.

Mike Robertson
Message 13 of 14
DarrenP

you can however create whats called an options file

and say how days they can have it check out for

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
austins

This is cool, thanks for all your input guys. We are still planning so the more information i can get the better =D

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report