Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstalled OS | The serial number you entered is not valid. Try again. (1)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
BethDooley8808
372 Views, 5 Replies

Reinstalled OS | The serial number you entered is not valid. Try again. (1)

I need to get AC 2010 activated again ASAP. I had to wipe out our computer and reinstall everything. I tried to do it manually also and it say's that the serial number entered is not valid. I have made sure it is correct. Also this was not purchased as a subscription, we bought the fullseat license.

Please help or give me a number I can actually call and speak with someone.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jan.sako
in reply to: BethDooley8808

The error message you are seeing just means that your serial number is invalid for automatic activation.

(Hint for Autodesk: Would you please change the wording on that error?)

This happens when the number of activations for a serial number reaches the number of seats under that serial number. From now on, you will need to request an activation code from Autodesk every time you need to activate the product with this serial number.

The simplest way of doing this is via calling Autodesk directly on 800-551-1490 (until 4pm ET).

They will ask for your serial number and the request code that shows when your automatic activation fails.

Autodesk will then send you a unique activation code that will unlock that particular installation.

When you receive the code, select "I have an Activation Code from Autodesk" on the same screen that shows your request code and paste the activation code into the provided boxes. Please note that sometimes the code contains less digits that the number of empty boxes.

Hope this helps!

Message 3 of 6
BethDooley8808
in reply to: jan.sako

Awesome! Thanks so much.

Message 4 of 6
jessica.t

Hi @jan.sako and thank you for your assistance in the forums.

The invalid serial number error occurs when the serial number in question has either been upgraded, returned, or marked inactive for whatever reason (license merge). Yes, a manual activation is needed and it's possible that the license is eligible to still be activated, but if it is just a matter of number of activations and the license is still current you'll receive an error that says: "The maximum number of activations has been reached."

I hope this helps clarify. Please let me know if you have any questions on this.

Jessica Thrasher
Message 5 of 6
jan.sako
in reply to: jessica.t

Understand and accept the distinction.

My suggestion to change the the error message wording still stands, if it would say "your serial number is not valid for automatic activation, please perform steps blah blah blah...", it would make life easier, and Autodesk would have less customers unhappy/panicking that their serial numbers got broken.

The invalid serial number error does not show up if the customer is activating say a 2013 serial number on active subscription that has 5 seats and only 3 activation so far, even if the serial number has now been upgraded twice... 🙂

Thanks for your reply Jessica!

Message 6 of 6
jessica.t

Hi @jan.sako,

I understand and see your distinction as well Smiley Happy

If a product is active on a subscription contract but has been upgraded, they will not see that error. But if a license has been upgraded but is not on subscritpion and the upgrade has not been activated, they will receive that error but they will be still be eligible for activation. And you're correct, adding more verbiage to the errors would be helpful, we really appreciate the suggestion and will look further into this.

Jessica Thrasher

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report