TravisNave
Message 11 of 17 (257 Views)

Re: Registration/use of AutoCAD R-13 for DOS

10-25-2012 02:36 PM in reply to: MarkWilliamHunt
MarkWilliamHunt
Message 12 of 17 (239 Views)

10-26-2012 07:19 AM in reply to: MarkWilliamHunt

Well, I've received a response from the AutoDesk Customer Service Team ... Natasha tells me that you guys are exactly correct - that AutoCAD's R-13 may only be purchased from an Authorized Dealer.  Not likely, that ... So, I've thrown-away the CD-ROM.  IF ANYONE KNOWS how I can purchase an authorized-able copy of AutoCAD 2002 (Full) (not for my DOS computer - I'd run it on my Wife's WXP), perhaps you can tell me???  I see two eBay auctions, for AutoCAD 2002, right now ... but they're not likely to be legal ... Mark.

*Expert Elite*
DarrenP
Message 13 of 17 (237 Views)

10-26-2012 07:21 AM in reply to: MarkWilliamHunt

you can't buy that version anymore

you can only buy 2013

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 14 of 17 (229 Views)

10-26-2012 07:48 AM in reply to: DarrenP

Darren is right.  The product is expired as are all products thru version 2009.  You can get a trial version of 2013 to test out or you might see if you can qualify for the student version for free. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
MarkWilliamHunt
Message 15 of 17 (223 Views)

10-26-2012 09:56 AM in reply to: TravisNave

Appreciate your comments, your experience.  I'm doing two things (now that I've given-up finding a copy of AutoCAD R-13 and/or AutoCAD 2002 thru' AutoDesk, or thru' an Authorized Dealer):  I've downloaded a copy of 'GStarCAD Professional'.  This may/might 'do that which I want' - permit me to 'play with' the 3d .DWG images that I've downloaded (this would be on the Wife's computer - WXP, SP3 - when she allows me to so play) (me, I use a Panasonic Toughbook CF-25, under MS-DOS 7.10se).  And this might be enough for me.  The second thing is - Natasha, at the Service Desk, told me that, sometimes, AutoDesk will *permit* the registered owner of a version of AutoCAD to *transfer* the license.  Thus, if I search - if I track - any such offerings of AutoCAD 2002 on eBay - then I might be able to convince the proposed seller that they should contact AutoDesk, and request such a 'license transfer'.  I've sent-out - last night - email to two such sellers, questioning their sales.  One has answered - and he writes that he's going to 'check-out' the idea of 'authorization codes' - he apparently didn't know, just as *I* didn't know - anything about it (not everyone who *has* such software is a CAD Professional).  So.  Mostly, 'I just can't get there from here'.  Well, that happens.  In the meantime, I've got a very acceptable solution: I downloaded a copy of AutoDesk/AutoCAD DWG TrueView 2013 - and it's impressive, very!, and I've started, last night, to 'play with' (rotate in three axis) the above-mentioned 3d .DWG images ... and, that was all that I really wanted.  Again, thanks: AutoDesk has created an impressive product, and your comments, and your guidance, has only helped to 'make it better' for me.  Mark. 

MarkWilliamHunt
Message 16 of 17 (203 Views)

10-27-2012 01:55 PM in reply to: MarkWilliamHunt

Look, folks, at this eBay auction - 330818043388 - AutoCAD (DOS) R-13, plus (on the floppy) some registration information - probably everything that a guy needs ... except that it's illegal, yes?, Natacha tells me that only the *seller* can request that the license be transferred to the buyer.  Now, I've emailed to the seller - and haven't yet received an answer - and there is *no way* that I'm going to purchase it without the proper authorization (from AutoDesk/AutoCAD) - but - and here's my point - ***how in the world is eBay being allowed to sell illegal software?***.  This, I do not understand.  I fully-support the licensing authority (AutoDesk/AutoCAD) to make the decisions that have been made regards AutoCAD R-13.  Intellectual property rights, yes? - this software is *theirs*; they only license it.  Their decision(s), whether convenient or inconvenient to me, their decisions are their business, and I support'em.  But why is eBay being allowed to 'break the law'?  What's wrong here?  Here, on eBay, people who probably don't *intend* to break the law - both sellers and buyers - are, perhaps and sometimes, in a position where they argueably (sp?) have 'committed a crime'.  Basically, innocents (sp?), innocent people, 'victims'.  Why in the world wouldn't AutoDesk Staff - CAD Professionals - why would they not just 'tell eBay to not accept such auctions'?  Well.  OK.  I'll stop ranting.  Only ... well, heck, I want to buy this software, and I can't ... and purchasing AutoCAD 2013 would *not only* cost me $4,100, I'd need to buy a hot-Hot-HOT computer to run it ... *my* computer, and I have several, is either a 100mHz, a 150mHz, or a 166mHz (best).  Too much for a hobby, really, a hobby of pencil-sketching rotating/able valves & pipes & mechanical stuff on a screen.  Mark.

MarkWilliamHunt
Message 17 of 17 (185 Views)

10-28-2012 04:46 AM in reply to: MarkWilliamHunt

Forum Members.

I've just - I couldn't sleep, and I've just - discovered the recently-ending court battle between AutoDesk and those-who-would-sell AutoDesk's software on eBay.

Sorry, AutoDesk, but I hadn't realized that there was a problem.

And this is *not* something - this issue, this court-resolved issue - with which I wish to be 'near'.

I'll not be 'searching for AutoDesk software on eBay.

And, 'Forum Members' - you'd do me a great favor if you'd delete this innocent, well-intentioned thread.

Thanks.

Mark. 

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.