Installation & Licensing

MarkWilliamHunt
Message 1 of 17 (369 Views)
Accepted Solution

Registration/use of AutoCAD R-13 for DOS

369 Views, 16 Replies
10-25-2012 11:22 AM

I use AutoCAD 2000 (full).  It's good - it meets my needs.  But I purchased an AutoCAD CD-ROM - an original, not a copy - for AutoCAD R-13 (for DOS).  I don't have any registration codes, CD codes, authorization codes, whatever.  What are my options?  I use DOS a lot ... and I'd like to experiment with R-13.  And I'd be happy to 'pay for that privilege'.  Thanks.  Mark.

*Expert Elite*
DarrenP
Message 2 of 17 (363 Views)

Re: Registration/use of AutoCAD R-13 for DOS

10-25-2012 11:46 AM in reply to: MarkWilliamHunt

did you just buy it?

MarkWilliamHunt
Message 3 of 17 (356 Views)

10-25-2012 12:39 PM in reply to: MarkWilliamHunt

eBay.  This sort of thing - older AutoCAD misc software, lots of books, AutoCAD R-13, as well as those Revisions even older! - as well as newer ones (expensive!), obviously - can be purchased on eBay Mark.

MarkWilliamHunt
Message 4 of 17 (354 Views)

10-25-2012 12:40 PM in reply to: MarkWilliamHunt

... and, yes, I just purchased it - a few weeks ago.  Mark.

*Expert Elite*
DarrenP
Message 5 of 17 (353 Views)

10-25-2012 12:41 PM in reply to: MarkWilliamHunt

ebay is not an authorized autodesk dealer so i highly doubt autodesk will provide you any type of activation

*Expert Elite*
DarrenP
Message 6 of 17 (347 Views)

10-25-2012 12:45 PM in reply to: DarrenP

pretty much what you did was illegal

MarkWilliamHunt
Message 7 of 17 (341 Views)

10-25-2012 01:17 PM in reply to: DarrenP

Illegal?  Now - I'm not surprised much, anymore, I'm 61 years old - but this surprises me.  There's a lot of AutoCAD software being sold & bought on eBay.  How can this be, if it's illegal?  I don't buy bogus software ... I'll mention, here, that I am not in any way a 'CAD professional'.  Rather, I've an interest in the ability of AutoCAD to rotate 3d images.  I want, you see, to be able to pencil-sketch - to draw - valves and mechanical stuff.  A hobby.  And ... I can do that under AutoCAD 2000 (not the 'i' version) and Windows 98.  Just ... it's just that I wanted to try to do that under DOS ...  Mark.

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 8 of 17 (337 Views)

10-25-2012 01:38 PM in reply to: MarkWilliamHunt

Darren is right.  The license agreement specifically states that the software cannot be resold, leased, transferred, etc.  Every copy on eBay is illegal.  Essentially, all you are buying is the media but not the right to use it.  It's fraud and you should report the seller for software piracy.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
MarkWilliamHunt
Message 9 of 17 (333 Views)

10-25-2012 02:08 PM in reply to: TravisNave

Ah.  Well, if simply *buying* the media is legal - then I'm relievedI'd not even put the CDROM into my 166mHz computer - I knew that registration information was required (so what would be the point?).  I think ... I think that I spent $1.00 on the auction, with shipping of course.  So, I'm not 'out' much.  And the buyer - as I remember - didn't promise anything, the buyer specifically wrote that the CDROM was without 'codes' or 'numbers' or such (words, or the lack of words, to that effect).  So, what the heck.  I didn't know - not being a CAD professional - anything about the licensing issues that you've mentioned.  It's just that ... I've been visiting the local community college, and I've sat-in on one of their AutoCAD classes.  It's fascinating, truely fascinating.  So ... I started trying to follow-up on a long-held dream: learning to pencil-sketch thru' the rotating images of 3D .DWG files.  Here's what I think: you guys, you CAD professionals (and you AutoCAD employees) - there's a LOT of AutoCAD software up-for-sale in eBay.  IF THIS IS ILLEGAL - and you write that it is, and I'm not disputing this - then somebody, one of you guys, should tell eBay.  I'm sure that they'd stop it.  Thanks so much for your information - your guidance - and I'll STOP this R-13 project.  Mark. 

MarkWilliamHunt
Message 10 of 17 (329 Views)

10-25-2012 02:30 PM in reply to: MarkWilliamHunt

Sent a question/request to AutoCAD Customer Service.  Should have an answer - "Thank you for contacting us. We have received your request (Case Number: DELETED) and have assigned it to the Autodesk Customer Service Team who will assist you. Your Case number can be found at the top of this email." - soon.  Told'em about eBay.  Again, thanks for your forum-help.  Mark.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube