Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redundant License Failing

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Rich.Shirley
550 Views, 7 Replies

Redundant License Failing

After a bank holiday weekend here in the UK i've come back in to find our AutoCAD license server has failed for no given reason. I've done lots of troubleshooting on this and cant find any obvious way to fix it... Any ideas? Error below:

8:28:54 (lmgrd) Disconnected from secondary redundant server GBVUAP68
 8:29:01 (lmgrd) Established connection from secondary redundant server GBVUAP68
 8:29:16 (lmgrd) adskflex exited with status 58 ()
 8:29:16 (lmgrd) Since this is an unknown status, license server
 8:29:16 (lmgrd) manager (lmgrd) will attempt to re-start the vendor daemon.
 8:29:16 (lmgrd) EXITING DUE TO SIGNAL 1

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
TravisNave
in reply to: Rich.Shirley

Redunant servers do not offer actual redundancy, but rather redundant amount of effort to get it to work properly.  Whereas a single server or distributed server will always work as a stand-alone server, a redundant cannot and must always have the connection of two out of three.  Even if all are up and there is a network hiccup, you go down.  It is the absolute worst choice to make, especially when you can resolve any NLM failures with a reinstall to a new server in under 15 minutes of downtime.  My recommendation would be to switch to a single or distributed setup and never experience this issue again.  You can be up and running right now and never have this problem moving forward.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 8
Rich.Shirley
in reply to: TravisNave

You've obviously never worked with a redundant setup then...

It's incredibly easy to work with and we have 10+ differant Flex licences using it and it was incredibly easy to setup and is a whole lot more fault tolerant than 1 server. Which if goes down can take days to get working correctly.

Message 4 of 8
TravisNave

It's only been my job for a decade.  I am not lecturing, I am just telling you my professional experience from supporting the NLM for all of my customers as well as here on the Autodesk forum.  If you wish to run the redundant model, that is fine.  It's a false sense of security and results in the exact kind of issue that you are describing.  I cannot think of any single server issue that takes days to resolve, which is why I recommended it over the redundant model.  Just my two cents.  Good luck! 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 8
Rich.Shirley

Pretty sure you were lecturing 😉
Message 6 of 8
TravisNave

Smiley Happy Just my recommendation.  You could be running by now. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 8
Rich.Shirley

For some unknown reason the Autodesk NLM service decided it needed to have a network account with Admin rights being used as the run as account instead of Local System. Which is a bit strange considering it'd been running for 2 months without the need for this!
Message 8 of 8
TravisNave

That is very odd.  Local System is typically what runs the service.  If changing the logon account for the service works though, that's a good work-around solution.  Thanks for sharing. 

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report