Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question... Selling models using student version

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
jlevine66
6090 Views, 14 Replies

Question... Selling models using student version

Hello,

I have a feeling the answer to this is no, but I'm going to ask anyways.

Using the student version of Maya, can I sell models that I make on websites like Turbosquid?

Thank you

J

Tags (3)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
pendean
in reply to: jlevine66

No, it's a violation of your free student license to profit from it.
Message 3 of 15
dembkod

jlevine66,

Hello. If you are ready to start making money, you need a paid version. Not sure what you are doing specifically, but MAYA LT may be useful for you- being a student, it is a less expensive program.  Just a thought.

Thank you for taking part in our community!

David Dembkoski
Message 4 of 15
DarrenP
in reply to: dembkod

or you can look at renting a license

http://www.autodesk.com/store/rental-licences

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
jlevine66

Just an unemployed starving student trying to find a way to make some money...

Thanks for the answer.

Message 6 of 15

I've been looking for this answer too ! What i thought of is using other software and use OBJ formats. Not sure how the textures would be affected by other programs. But once your obj is open source it's legal. I think.  How about mixing up two softwares? By the way, i'm using Maya Student version 2014

Message 7 of 15

read the license agreement agin

it states what the student license is supposed to be used for

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 15

Legally enforceable?  Maybe, maybe not.  Ethical?  Definitely not.  The problem isn't how to get rid of any kind of flag, watermark, or setting, but that it was created by software provided freely for the purpose of personal education.  That doesn't go away, no matter how hard you scrub.

They *really* need to bring back dedicated ethics classes in school...

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 15
channypu

I dont think it is unethical to let a student take credit for the work they create with your software and plenty of other programs now allow students to do this. It would also benefit autodesk as a company because it gives students more incentive to buy the full version when their license expires.
Message 10 of 15

woow. thank you so much for taking some time, and making a clear answer 🙂 this gives me some relief on some stuff i wasn't sure of. 

Message 11 of 15
Patmakwakwa1988

How can i get a serial number and product key
Message 12 of 15

@Patmakwakwa1988

Welcome to the Autodesk User's Community..

Are you a student or educator/mentor (of a qualified educational institution)?  Or looking for a commercial license

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 13 of 15
naoweik

This is an old topic,

but it might help some people to know that Autodesk has a lighter version of Maya, Maya LT, to which you can subscribe monthly or yearly.

Right now Maya LT is about 30$/month which isn't too bad considering the original price of a license. HOWEVER make sure to check the features list, as this is not Maya's full version.

But for people like me who have tried Blender and didn't like the way it works after spending many years in Maya, this is a nice alternative (not saying Blender is bad, but when you've enjoyed Maya's efficiency, Blender feels kind of sad).

Hope this can help some people.

Message 14 of 15

Just pay attention to what they say dude... you will fail in life when you ignore the rules bro. 😟🙁

Message 15 of 15

yea, be careful what you try to achieve or is it really worth it, how much you put hours into it, maybe try couple of times and see WHAT HAPPENS.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report