Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem deleting files created with ACA 2008

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
pciganek
279 Views, 4 Replies

Problem deleting files created with ACA 2008

Hello,

We have the following problem, perhaps someone on this NG has dealt with this or something similar before and has some advice. We work with AutoCAD Architecture 2008 (SP1) on XP (SP2) workstations with a Windows 2000 (SP4) server. After saving an AutoCAD file to any network drive with ACA 2008 and then closing the drawing, the user is not able to delete the file from Windows Explorer – the following warning dialog appears:

“Error Deleting File or Folder: Cannot delete [file]. It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.”

The file can not be deleted after quitting AutoCAD or after rebooting the PC. The file can, however, be deleted from within the AutoCAD Open File / New File / Save As dialogs. Also, the files can be deleted after ADT 2005 has been started – if ADT 2005 is running at the time that the time that the file is created with ACA2008 then it needs to be restarted in order to delete the file from Windows Explorer. Files saved to local drives can be deleted.

In the Computer Manager – watching Open Files on the network, the files created by ACA 2008 show up in the list with ‘Read’ status when the directory in which they reside is open with Windows Explorer. If the directory is closed in Windows Explorer, then the Read status disappears. This is the case regardless of whether or not ACA 2008 is running or not. Again, once ADT 2005 is started, the files are not displayed with Read status.

Some of these files can be deleted after several repeated tries right after creating/saving them. Some still can not be deleted days after being created. It is difficult to determine whether this has to do with timing (i.e. – happening to attempt the delete when the file is temporarily free – or whether this has something to do with the file itself).

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Peter
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: pciganek

It appears that when saving over the network, the handles are not being closed to the file when the program exits. You might diagnose network connectivity issues.

I'd recommend turning off Digital Signature icons. You might also save locally then move the file over the network. Additionally, try saving the file and then closing the file. Then close AutoCAD, making sure that acad.exe process in task manager disappears.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 5
pciganek

Thanks for responding,

yes - this is definitely a network problem - but related to ACA 2008 - other programs (including ADT 2005) do not lock files on the network.

We do not use the Digital Signature - though maybe you mean something different with Digital Signature icons?

Saving locally then to the network is not an option as we have well over 100 architects working here.

When I close the file and ACA, the acad.exe no longer shows in the task manager. The files remain locked after shutting the workstation down.

I'll have to spend some more time on tests...

Peter
Message 4 of 5
TravisNave

Right click your AutoCAD icon and choose Enable/Disable Digital Signature Icons. Uncheck the resulting dialog box and click okay. Used to require a logoff, don't know if it still does. Might anyway.

Open your network properties. Configure your NIC so that your speed and duplex are set to 10/half. This is a good start to test network connectivity problems.

Once these two are done, see if your problem is replicated.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 5
pciganek

Thank you for taking time to consider this,

I tried disabling the Digitial Signature Icon - no change. Then I set the connection speed to the value that you suggested and tried to figure out what might be going on with procman - but didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Here's another interesting piece of the puzzle: it seems that the files can be deleted within the file open dialog from other programs such as Word. This suggests that the problem arises from a combination of network settings + AutoCAD 2008 + Windows Explorer.

In the meantime this issue has been sent to AutoDesk through our reseller. I'll post any progress here.

best regards,

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report