Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-upgrade questions for LMTOOLS

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
helpdesk
188 Views, 3 Replies

Pre-upgrade questions for LMTOOLS

What do I need to do to update a license manager? I'm trying to keep the downtime to a minimum and yet keep OT out of the picture.
Currently running v. 7.1 and new 2005 has 9.? Precautions?
Thanks in advance for any help!
-Chad P.
P.S. No info in the readme's for upgrading an existing installation of the LMTOOLS itself or at least havent found it yet. 🙂
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: helpdesk

The safest way is: 1. from the ADD/Remove programs uninstall old Autodesk License Manager(do not delete any files manually from uninstalled directory. 2. From the 2005 CD install new Autodesk License Manager to the same directory. 3. Update your license file and start your server as usual and you will be good to. Hope this helps. Efim "chadpen" wrote in message news:14521189.1091208688257.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2... > What do I need to do to update a license manager? I'm trying to keep the downtime to a minimum and yet keep OT out of the picture. > Currently running v. 7.1 and new 2005 has 9.? Precautions? > Thanks in advance for any help! > -Chad P. > P.S. No info in the readme's for upgrading an existing installation of the LMTOOLS itself or at least havent found it yet. 🙂
Message 3 of 4
dstein

I've done at least six server upgrades using the following procedure without a single problem. Although, the process mentioned above (add/remove programs) is probably the cleanest and follows the Microsoft best-practices approach. Autodesk wraps the various tools in a MSI package, which is nice and correctly done. The original product by Macrovision is not bundled for Windows installation this way, but as separate downloads. Makes for a 1980's-ish setup.

1. Download the LMTOOLS, LMGRD and so forth from Macrovision or wherever.
2. Back up your LIC files and LMTOOLS, LMGRD files to a different folder.
3. Stop the license service using LMTOOLS (verify in Computer Mgt / Services console)
4. Replace the respective files in-place.
5. Double-click the LMTOOLS shortcut and verify it launches the new version.
6. Restart the service.

If you have OPT files or other files to support SAM or SAMlite or project groupings be sure to back those up also. If anything goes wrong, you have your backup files to use to restore it quickly.
Message was edited by: dstein
Message 4 of 4
helpdesk

Thats exactly what I needed to know... sounds like less than ten minutes of downtime for the engineers.

Much appreciated!
-Chad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report