Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4
keithc03
381 Views, 3 Replies

PLU Problem

why when a license is exported to another PC does it show up as a BROKEN license
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: keithc03

There are two possible reasons, which you can tell by launching AutoCAD. The import succeeds, since the MIC was correct, but then when the license is opened, it breaks because of environmental conditions on the new PC, for example:

1) The license has an expiration date, and the date and time on the new PC are very different from that on the exporting PC (off by a couple of days).

2) The new PC had the license previously, but the license files (C:\C_DILLA) were deleted, either directly, or indirectly by restoring a partition image (e.g. by using Norton Ghost) or reformatting the drive.

When launching AutoCAD, if it's the first case, you'll get a message asking you to correct the date and time. If it's the second case, you'll get an error 0020 and will need to reauthorize within a week or so.

If you need to reformat a hard disk or restore a partition image, you must backup and then restore the C:\C_DILLA folder, even though you've exported the license. The backup must be made after the export, and must be restored before import.

The Network and License Management Forum is specifically oriented to these issues.

--Cy--
autodesk
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Hey Cy!

why haven't we seen this info before this! It's been almost 4 years since
C-Dilla was born! (R14 SW-locked version) Especially this part of backing up
the C-Dilla before format and restoring it afterwards....!!!!! BEFORE
bringing the license back! WHY is the PLU so (edited) to use -- ie where's
the complete usermanual?

Yours,

Petri Ahava
CAD-Quality Finland Oy

(ACAD user sincer R2.15i)
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Petri,

I understand that you are angry about this behavior. We have had very few reports of this problem. I didn't find out about this myself until several months ago, and I've been using the PLU for five years now, since it was first written.

The complete workaround is written up here, including some sample automation scripts:

http://www.discreet.com/support/max/faq/answer.php3?prod=dddstudio&id=612

By the way, I consider this behavior to be a defect, and will work to get this fixed in the future. It should be enough to just export the license.

--Cy--
autodesk

P.S. In spite of your anger, I would appreciate it if you would keep your language clean.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report