Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options File Help for C3D and IDPS

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
jason
567 Views, 33 Replies

Options File Help for C3D and IDPS

This is my first time to use an option file and here is what I want to achieve...

I have 9 licenses of C3D and 4 licenses of IDPS.  We have identified 4 users who we want using the IDPS software (IDPSusers).  These 4 users are the only people who have the full IDPS software installed on their machines, all the other users just have C3D installed.

So I would like for these users to always check out an IDPS license when opening C3D.  And leave the other 9 licenses for our other users.

Will this achieve what I am trying to do?

MAX 4 85799IDSP_2012_0F GROUP IDPSusers
RESERVE 4 85799IDSP_2012_0F GROUP IDPSusers
MAX 4 85812IDSP_F GROUP IDPSusers
RESERVE 4 85812IDSP_F GROUP IDPSusers

33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
TravisNave
in reply to: jason

Shouldn't be a problem.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 22 of 34
jason
in reply to: TravisNave

Ok, that didn't work.  Can I just exclude the 4 IDPS users from the C3D licenses?

Message 23 of 34
jason

Another thing I thought about.  If I remove the RESERVE statement will the users with only C3D take a IDPS license if one is available and C3D is maxed out?

Message 24 of 34
TravisNave

Yes, I suspect that will happen.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 25 of 34
jason

OK, what about using the EXCLUDE statement to make the IDPS users only use IDPS licenses would that work?

Message 26 of 34
TravisNave

Yes that should work. But they'll never get a C3D license if they're out of IDPS. If you're okay with that, try it.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 27 of 34
jason

Are you saying if they open C3D they won't get a license?  I was assuming with the EXCLUDE they would take a IDPS license.

Message 28 of 34
TravisNave

No, I am saying if they launch C3D, they should get a IDPS only but never just a regular C3D if they run out of IDPS because they are excluded from it.  Give it a shot and see how it works.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 29 of 34
jason

Ok, it looks like the EXCLUDE statement is going to work.  I do have a question about the TIMEOUT statement.  We have tested it today and when the server pulled the license from the idle machine, it looks like it never notified the user about it.  Maybe though I missed it.  

We even added something to the drawing and then closed it with no message or anything. We then opened the drawing up again and it included the stuff we added after the license was checked back in.  

BTW, there were available licenses when the server checked the idle machine's license back in and when we added to the drawing if that makes a difference.

Message 30 of 34
TravisNave

The timeout will show in the debug log file as being checked IN as (INACTIVE).

You should be all set!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 31 of 34
jason

But the user never sees anything when the license is checked in?  That is my concern, I don't want the user to come back from lunch or a meeting and start working and find out later their data is lost because the license is not checked out.

Message 32 of 34
TravisNave

That won't happen.  It is designed to be seamless to the user.  In the event that the license is returned to the pool and the application becomes active, the user will know no difference.  If however, there is no more licenses free, they will simply be notified of such and be allowed to save their work before the application closes.  There is no worry in loss of work with this option in place.  Rest assured.  Smiley Wink

Autodesk Forums:
Message 33 of 34
jason

Ok, thanks for the explanation and all your help.  I really appreciate it.

Message 34 of 34
TravisNave

That's what we're here for. 

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report