Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options File Help for C3D and IDPS

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
jason
569 Views, 33 Replies

Options File Help for C3D and IDPS

This is my first time to use an option file and here is what I want to achieve...

I have 9 licenses of C3D and 4 licenses of IDPS.  We have identified 4 users who we want using the IDPS software (IDPSusers).  These 4 users are the only people who have the full IDPS software installed on their machines, all the other users just have C3D installed.

So I would like for these users to always check out an IDPS license when opening C3D.  And leave the other 9 licenses for our other users.

Will this achieve what I am trying to do?

MAX 4 85799IDSP_2012_0F GROUP IDPSusers
RESERVE 4 85799IDSP_2012_0F GROUP IDPSusers
MAX 4 85812IDSP_F GROUP IDPSusers
RESERVE 4 85812IDSP_F GROUP IDPSusers

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
TravisNave
in reply to: jason

Yes, but since you only have 4 then you don't need the MAX lines as it is implied.  The RESERVE should be good enough.  And you don't need it on the full Subscription Feature as much as just the release year.  Otherwise it is will try to reserve 4 seats for each release (causing a -4 error in the debug due to 16 licenses trying to be consumed.)

You just need:

RESERVE 4 85799IDSP_2012_0F GROUP IDPSusers

Don't forget when you define your GROUP to also use GROUPCASEINSENSITIVE ON as well.  You can read all about it in my Options file link in my signature line.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 34
jason

I added the .opt file last night and reread the license file.  I see the reserved licenses.  But the guys who were supposed to take the licenses took the C3D licenses this morning.  Any thoughts to how I messed it up?

Message 4 of 34
jason

In my GROUP statement I did: GROUP IDPSusers user1 user2 user3 user4

In the log it shows the user checking out as user1@computer1.

Does this mean I need to list my users in the GROUP statement as user1@computer1?

Message 5 of 34
TravisNave

No, it means the RESERVE is working.  It just shows you can assign to user and computer.  But it is working.  The problem appears that the client software is ignoring hte suite license and is still taking the cheapest available.  It's odd, but it is something I've had concerns with as well on the Cascade.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 34
jason
in reply to: TravisNave

I have installed the recommended Hotfix on all machines.  Could that be causing it not to work?

Two other questions...

Could my license file not be combined correctly?  I just looked at your Combining .LIC files link and I have my server and asdkflex listed twice.  I basically just added the second license info onto the end of the first license file (They are issued on the same day).

Finally if the above two don't seem to be the answer, should I start a case with Autodesk or am I just out of luck?

Thanks for all your help.

Message 7 of 34
TravisNave

If you generated them on the same day, you're probably okay.  You can PM me the contents of your LIC file if you want me to verify though.  It might shed some light on the subject. 

I'm not aware of any hotfixes breaking cascading, but I've seen stranger things.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 8 of 34
TravisNave

I didn't see any problems with your .LIC file.  Can you post a copy/paste of your Server Status Enquiry as well as your debug log? 

I assume that you can indeed pull a IDPS license from the suite though when needed, right? 

Also, you might consider just getting a new LIC file generated for both under the 2013 Subscription file.  You can still launch your 2012 and prior, but it might work better with an updated LIC file.  Just a thought.  I didn't check your Subscription status in the system when I looked at the LIC, so I just assumed it still is...

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 34
jason

Moved over to the new license file today and it did not change anything.

So I did a small test.

I maxed out the C3D licenses so there were none available.  I then had one user open an IDPS software (Navisworks), the license server showed the user using both a C3D license and a IDPS license.

I then asked the user to shut down C3D but keep Navisworks open.  He was just shown as using an IDPS license only.

I then asked him to open C3D (Navisworks still open).  He was shown as only using an IDPS license.

He then closed Navisworks and left C3D open.  He was still shown as only using an IDPS license.

Finally, he shutdown C3D and then reopened it (Navisworks is closed) and he was shown as using a C3D license.

Any suggestions?

Message 10 of 34
DarrenP

install this hotfix: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17253046&linkID=9240698

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 34
jason
in reply to: DarrenP

It is already installed on every machine with C3D and IDPS.

Message 12 of 34
TravisNave

What you describe is exactly by design.  If you pull C3D, it will pull C3D until you pull IDPS then it will return the C3D and pull only the IDPS for both.  If you launch IDPS, it will pull IDPS and allow you to then also launch C3D but will not just give it back just because C3D is available.  The NLM will upgrade a license when needed but will not downgrade a license to a cheaper license if available.

Understanding a Civil 3D and Infrastructure Suite mixed license environment

Issue:

You have a mixture of Civil 3D network licenses and Infrastructure Suite Premium or Ultimate network licenses and you are wondering which license AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 will pull first.

Solution:

It does not matter if AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 was installed as part of one of the Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suites or as a point product (not as part of the suite). When you have a mixed license environment, AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 will always look to pull a Civil 3D license first. If no Civil 3D licenses are available, it will then look to pull an Infrastructure Design Suite Premium or Ultimate license.

The following diagram shows this sequencing:

In the event that you first pull a Civil 3D network license and later, while that license is still in use, you pull one of the Infrastructure Design Suite licenses by launching a different product in that suite, the Civil 3D license will be returned and you will only consume the one suite license. The same thing applies if you first pull a suite license and then launch AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 13 of 34
jason

Ok, so my original question was on having the IDPS users always check out an IDPS license.  At the time you said my option file should work.  Does this mean now that it won't work and there is not a way to do this?

Message 14 of 34
TravisNave

Well... 

You might try as a test to RESERVE the seat for the entire PACKAGE code instead of the individual 2012 release.  Then verify that it is reserved and launch Civil 3D and see if that works.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 15 of 34
jason

Ok, I will try that.  

Two questions...

Does this mean I need a RESERVE statement for each IDPS product?

Also, can I change the .opt file while people are logged into C3D or should I wait until everybody is out to make the change?

Message 16 of 34
TravisNave

No, just set the RESERVE for the package code (i.e. 85812IDSP_F) for that group and then reread the license file to verify that it is working.  The changes should not affect working users who already have their licenses.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 17 of 34
jason

Unfortunately that didn't work either.  I really appreciate your help but it doesn't seem like there is a way to make this happen without doing it manually.

Message 18 of 34
DarrenP

i don't think autodesk had the suites in mind when they implemented the options file

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 19 of 34
TravisNave
in reply to: DarrenP

I agree, Darren.

The only other thing we haven't tried, that has had some success in the past is to change the order of the LIC file and put C3D last.  Save, reread.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 20 of 34
jason

Can I swap the order and reread while users are checked in?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report