Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open the Autodesk network Licence manager on the internet

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
eric.paris
1306 Views, 2 Replies

Open the Autodesk network Licence manager on the internet

Hi, i received different input about the NLM open on the Internet.

So, i would like a confirmation and if possible a reference about this information.
Is it legal to open NLM on internet for users outside the company to get a licence for their Autodesk products, at home for example (without a VPN)?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
TravisNave
in reply to: eric.paris

No.  Without a WAN or VPN, this is in violation of the LSA.  Nor would you ever want to do this, since, in theory, I could access your NLM with a port scanner and essentially borrow up all of your licenses with relative ease.

From the LSA:

Definitions:

19. Networked Basis means a computing environment that includes a Computer acting as a file server which allows the Licensed Materials Installed on such Computer to be uploaded and Installed to, and operated, viewed or otherwise Accessed from, other Computers through a local area network connection or through a VPN connection subject to compliance with the VPN Requirements.

37. VPN Requirements means (i) the Licensed Materials are Accessed through a secure virtual private network (“VPN”); (ii) the maximum number of concurrent users Accessing the Licensed Materials (on a Networked Basis or through the VPN) does not exceed the Permitted Number at any time; (iii) all copies of the Licensed Materials are Installed and Accessed exclusively in conjunction with the technical protection device (if any) supplied with the Licensed Materials; and (iv) the VPN connection is secure and complies with current industry standard encryption and protection mechanisms.

2.1.1 No License Granted/Unauthorized Activities.  The parties acknowledge and agree that, notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement, no license is granted (whether expressly, by implication or otherwise) under this Agreement (and this Agreement expressly excludes any right)...(g) except as otherwise expressly provided with respect to a specific License Type, to Install or Access or allow the Installation of or Access to the Autodesk Materials over the Internet or other non-local network, including, without limitation, use in connection with a wide area network (WAN), virtual private network (VPN), virtualization, Web hosting, time-sharing, service bureau, software as a service, cloud or other service or technology...

The network licensed versions allow for connectivity over the WAN or VPN, by definition, thus is allowed whereas other network types ore disallowed per 2.1.1. 

Hope that helps.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 3
JTBWorld
in reply to: eric.paris

Generally it is not allowed but you might be able to get approval from Autodesk for it.

http://www.jtbworld.com/Autodesk-Network-License-Manager.htm#Internet_Licensing

Jimmy Bergmark
JTB World - Software development and consulting for CAD and license usage reports
https://jtbworld.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report