Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network deployment requires UNC path for log file

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
438 Views, 8 Replies

Network deployment requires UNC path for log file

Network deployment requires UNC path for log file. We have multiple locations, each with a "W: Drive" for the support of AutoCAD. So, if we could make the log file point to the exact same place, W:\... then the installations could all be the same and replicated around the country. Does anyone know of a way to avoid UNC paths in network deployments? - Ted Schaefer WD Partners
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Ted, No you can not avoid using the UNC path. But if it can not find the UNC path it will still work. You will just loose the server side one liner log file. What you could do is create one NIW deployment. Then at each location run NIW again but modify the existing deployment to point at that UNC path. It's very fast to run through the NIW a second time like this and it will just update the MST file. Hope this helps. Bud Schroeder AutoCAD Test Development Autodesk Inc. "xxxTed Schaefer" wrote in message news:4135d6d2$1_1@newsprd01... > Network deployment requires UNC path for log file. > We have multiple locations, each with a "W: Drive" for > the support of AutoCAD. > > So, if we could make the log file point to the exact same > place, W:\... then the installations could all be the same > and replicated around the country. > > Does anyone know of a way to avoid UNC paths in network deployments? > > - Ted Schaefer > WD Partners > > >
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

"Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in message news:4135efd7$1_2@newsprd01... > Hi Ted, > > No you can not avoid using the UNC path. But if it can not find the UNC > path > it will still work. You will just loose the server side one liner log > file. > What you could do is create one NIW deployment. Then at each location run > NIW again but modify the existing deployment to point at that UNC path. > It's very fast to run through the NIW a second time like this and it will > just update the MST file. You could also use a local UNC path for logging, then run a script to dump that to the right place on the WAN, even appending the local log to the main log. Note to Bud, AutoCAD should allow UNC, mapped drives and Environment Variables for EVERYTHING. The lack of drive letters is a problem here, and the lack of environment variables is a problem for user specific network plot styles. I am sure there are any number of other similar issues. Consistency would be a great help. Best, Gordon
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

> No you can not avoid using the UNC path. But if it can not find the UNC path > it will still work. You will just loose the server side one liner log file. > What you could do is create one NIW deployment. Then at each location run > NIW again but modify the existing deployment to point at that UNC path. > It's very fast to run through the NIW a second time like this and it will > just update the MST file. It's been some time since I installed off a deployment but if I recall correctly, you could manually edit some of the deployment files and have them point to a drive letter destination and it would spit the logs there despite not having the ability to specify it that way in the NIW. I've sense quit using the NIW to to various issues like this and instead deploy my network licenses directly from a CD image. -- Darren J. Young CAD/CAM Systems Developer Cold Spring Granite Company 202 South Third Avenue Cold Spring, Minnesota 56320 Email: dyoung@coldspringgranite.com Phone: (320) 685-5045 Fax: (320) 685-5052
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks Bud, If it finds the unc accross the WAN it seems to slow it way down. - Ted "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in message news:4135efd7$1_2@newsprd01... > Hi Ted, > > No you can not avoid using the UNC path. But if it can not find the UNC path > it will still work. You will just loose the server side one liner log file. > What you could do is create one NIW deployment. Then at each location run > NIW again but modify the existing deployment to point at that UNC path. > It's very fast to run through the NIW a second time like this and it will > just update the MST file. > > Hope this helps. > > Bud Schroeder > AutoCAD Test Development > Autodesk Inc. > > > "xxxTed Schaefer" wrote in > message news:4135d6d2$1_1@newsprd01... > > Network deployment requires UNC path for log file. > > We have multiple locations, each with a "W: Drive" for > > the support of AutoCAD. > > > > So, if we could make the log file point to the exact same > > place, W:\... then the installations could all be the same > > and replicated around the country. > > > > Does anyone know of a way to avoid UNC paths in network deployments? > > > > - Ted Schaefer > > WD Partners > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Ted, Can you give me an example of how much it slows down? Also the log file is for the deployment only so once the deployment gets going does it speed back up? Thanks for getting us the details. Bud "xxxTed Schaefer" wrote in message news:41378717$1_1@newsprd01... > Thanks Bud, > > If it finds the unc accross the WAN it seems to slow it way down. > > - Ted > > > "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in > message news:4135efd7$1_2@newsprd01... > > Hi Ted, > > > > No you can not avoid using the UNC path. But if it can not find the UNC > path > > it will still work. You will just loose the server side one liner log > file. > > What you could do is create one NIW deployment. Then at each location run > > NIW again but modify the existing deployment to point at that UNC path. > > It's very fast to run through the NIW a second time like this and it will > > just update the MST file. > > > > Hope this helps. > > > > Bud Schroeder > > AutoCAD Test Development > > Autodesk Inc. > > > > > > "xxxTed Schaefer" wrote > in > > message news:4135d6d2$1_1@newsprd01... > > > Network deployment requires UNC path for log file. > > > We have multiple locations, each with a "W: Drive" for > > > the support of AutoCAD. > > > > > > So, if we could make the log file point to the exact same > > > place, W:\... then the installations could all be the same > > > and replicated around the country. > > > > > > Does anyone know of a way to avoid UNC paths in network deployments? > > > > > > - Ted Schaefer > > > WD Partners > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Bud, For 2004, I think it added 40% to the install time, even with a fairly good wan connection. Mainly, I just remember it being painfully slow and wondering why. I don't think it sped up any. We learned quickly not to do that. So I haven't done it in over a year. Memory getting hazy. - Ted "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in message news:41379980_3@newsprd01... > Hi Ted, > > Can you give me an example of how much it slows down? Also the log file is > for the deployment only so once the deployment gets going does it speed back > up? > > Thanks for getting us the details. > > Bud > > > "xxxTed Schaefer" wrote in > message news:41378717$1_1@newsprd01... > > Thanks Bud, > > > > If it finds the unc accross the WAN it seems to slow it way down. > > > > - Ted > > > > > > "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in > > message news:4135efd7$1_2@newsprd01... > > > Hi Ted, > > > > > > No you can not avoid using the UNC path. But if it can not find the UNC > > path > > > it will still work. You will just loose the server side one liner log > > file. > > > What you could do is create one NIW deployment. Then at each location > run > > > NIW again but modify the existing deployment to point at that UNC path. > > > It's very fast to run through the NIW a second time like this and it > will > > > just update the MST file. > > > > > > Hope this helps. > > > > > > Bud Schroeder > > > AutoCAD Test Development > > > Autodesk Inc. > > > > > > > > > "xxxTed Schaefer" wrote > > in > > > message news:4135d6d2$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > Network deployment requires UNC path for log file. > > > > We have multiple locations, each with a "W: Drive" for > > > > the support of AutoCAD. > > > > > > > > So, if we could make the log file point to the exact same > > > > place, W:\... then the installations could all be the same > > > > and replicated around the country. > > > > > > > > Does anyone know of a way to avoid UNC paths in network deployments? > > > > > > > > - Ted Schaefer > > > > WD Partners > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks Ted, I'll look into it and see if I can reproduce it. When I did the testing of deployments off a CD there was no slow down at all. Now one other thing to watch for though is real time Virus protection. It will scan every single file and bring a deployment to it's knees. Next time you try it, try disabling real time scanning just to see if it speeds up. With NIW we went to an uncompressed admin image so it's checking every single file. Hope this helps and have a good weekend. Bud "xxxTed Schaefer" wrote in message news:4138a957$1_1@newsprd01... > Bud, > > For 2004, I think it added 40% to the install time, even with a fairly good > wan connection. > Mainly, I just remember it being painfully slow and wondering why. > I don't think it sped up any. We learned quickly not to do that. So > I haven't done it in over a year. Memory getting hazy. > > - Ted > > "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in > message news:41379980_3@newsprd01... > > Hi Ted, > > > > Can you give me an example of how much it slows down? Also the log file > is > > for the deployment only so once the deployment gets going does it speed > back > > up? > > > > Thanks for getting us the details. > > > > Bud > > > > > > "xxxTed Schaefer" wrote > in > > message news:41378717$1_1@newsprd01... > > > Thanks Bud, > > > > > > If it finds the unc accross the WAN it seems to slow it way down. > > > > > > - Ted > > > > > > > > > "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in > > > message news:4135efd7$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > Hi Ted, > > > > > > > > No you can not avoid using the UNC path. But if it can not find the > UNC > > > path > > > > it will still work. You will just loose the server side one liner log > > > file. > > > > What you could do is create one NIW deployment. Then at each location > > run > > > > NIW again but modify the existing deployment to point at that UNC > path. > > > > It's very fast to run through the NIW a second time like this and it > > will > > > > just update the MST file. > > > > > > > > Hope this helps. > > > > > > > > Bud Schroeder > > > > AutoCAD Test Development > > > > Autodesk Inc. > > > > > > > > > > > > "xxxTed Schaefer" > wrote > > > in > > > > message news:4135d6d2$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > Network deployment requires UNC path for log file. > > > > > We have multiple locations, each with a "W: Drive" for > > > > > the support of AutoCAD. > > > > > > > > > > So, if we could make the log file point to the exact same > > > > > place, W:\... then the installations could all be the same > > > > > and replicated around the country. > > > > > > > > > > Does anyone know of a way to avoid UNC paths in network deployments? > > > > > > > > > > - Ted Schaefer > > > > > WD Partners > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks! "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in message news:41392bad$1_3@newsprd01... > Thanks Ted, > > I'll look into it and see if I can reproduce it. When I did the testing of > deployments off a CD there was no slow down at all. Now one other thing to > watch for though is real time Virus protection. It will scan every single > file and bring a deployment to it's knees. Next time you try it, try > disabling real time scanning just to see if it speeds up. With NIW we went > to an uncompressed admin image so it's checking every single file. > > Hope this helps and have a good weekend. > > Bud > > > "xxxTed Schaefer" wrote in > message news:4138a957$1_1@newsprd01... > > Bud, > > > > For 2004, I think it added 40% to the install time, even with a fairly > good > > wan connection. > > Mainly, I just remember it being painfully slow and wondering why. > > I don't think it sped up any. We learned quickly not to do that. So > > I haven't done it in over a year. Memory getting hazy. > > > > - Ted > > > > "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in > > message news:41379980_3@newsprd01... > > > Hi Ted, > > > > > > Can you give me an example of how much it slows down? Also the log > file > > is > > > for the deployment only so once the deployment gets going does it speed > > back > > > up? > > > > > > Thanks for getting us the details. > > > > > > Bud > > > > > > > > > "xxxTed Schaefer" wrote > > in > > > message news:41378717$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > Thanks Bud, > > > > > > > > If it finds the unc accross the WAN it seems to slow it way down. > > > > > > > > - Ted > > > > > > > > > > > > "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in > > > > message news:4135efd7$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > Hi Ted, > > > > > > > > > > No you can not avoid using the UNC path. But if it can not find the > > UNC > > > > path > > > > > it will still work. You will just loose the server side one liner > log > > > > file. > > > > > What you could do is create one NIW deployment. Then at each > location > > > run > > > > > NIW again but modify the existing deployment to point at that UNC > > path. > > > > > It's very fast to run through the NIW a second time like this and it > > > will > > > > > just update the MST file. > > > > > > > > > > Hope this helps. > > > > > > > > > > Bud Schroeder > > > > > AutoCAD Test Development > > > > > Autodesk Inc. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > "xxxTed Schaefer" > > wrote > > > > in > > > > > message news:4135d6d2$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > > Network deployment requires UNC path for log file. > > > > > > We have multiple locations, each with a "W: Drive" for > > > > > > the support of AutoCAD. > > > > > > > > > > > > So, if we could make the log file point to the exact same > > > > > > place, W:\... then the installations could all be the same > > > > > > and replicated around the country. > > > > > > > > > > > > Does anyone know of a way to avoid UNC paths in network > deployments? > > > > > > > > > > > > - Ted Schaefer > > > > > > WD Partners > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report