Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NLM will not let ACAD 2012 run

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
gtwatson77459
633 Views, 6 Replies

NLM will not let ACAD 2012 run

I just got ACAD 2012 NLM version (4 seats) and I did the deploy on a network folder.  I installed the Network Manager on a PC on the network, got the 12 digit MAC address and the computer name.  I then did the install from the deploy LNK file and installed 2012 on the PC that will be the server.

I called ACAD tech support and got them to register my 4 copies and they sent me a xxx.LIC file.  I copied this LIC file to the server PC ant started the manager and re-read the file.

So now when I start 2012 it tells me it can't find the LIC file and asks where it is.  I browse to it and it continues but I get an error that says something like "no license found" and 2012 closes.  I rebooted the server PC and tried again but the same thing happens.

I did check to see if the MAC address and the name were correct and they are right.  So, can the server run ACAD 2012? Or does it have to be on another PC?

The server PC is Win 7 on a windows network.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rkmcswain
in reply to: gtwatson77459

Generally speaking, the NLM runs on a server, not a PC that will be running AutoCAD also, however I guess this might work as long as the LM can be located.

Also, you don't browse to the LM LIC file when asked by the client. The clients only need to be pointed to the LM itself. If it's asking you for a LIC file, this is a separate locally stored LIC file --- BUT you don't need this local LIC file so forget about that, and do the floowing.

On the client machines, add a Windows environment variable (Control Panel>System>Advanced) named ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE and the value of the variable should be @LM (where LM is the hostname of the LM). See example below.

System Environment Variable

If the AutoCAD clients still cannot find the LM, it could be due to a firewall, AV, or something else blocking it.

There are docs available on FlexLM explaining what has to be opened up.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 7
gtwatson77459
in reply to: rkmcswain

No luck with the system variable. I put in the "@" in front of the host name and I get the same errors that it can't find the valid license.
Message 4 of 7

some hints

make sure firewall is turned off (or ports 2080 and 27000-27009 are excluded on client ands server)

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS1076366

if you have ipv6 enabled on the win7 (license server) please get the ipv6 version of the license manager

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2011/05/migrating-license-server-to-another-machine.html

Try to get some client diag log to identify client issue

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2011/05/increase-the-information-about-licensing-error.ht...

try to use ipaddress instead of hostname in the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE env. variable

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 7

The IP address in the env var did not work at first. When I started acad 2012, it still asked for the license file and I put in the IP address twice. It finally started and when I shut down and restarted ACAD 2012, it found the license and started.
Message 6 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: gtwatson77459

The reason the IP version worked instead of the hostname is likely because of the IPv6 connectivity.  You forced it to try with an IPv4 address.  You can prevent this in the future with some simple changes. 

For more information about Network License Manager connectivity issues and IPv6, please see my discussion post here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Network-License-Error-1-5-15-and-IPv6/td-p/2982...

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 7 of 7
gtwatson77459
in reply to: TravisNave

Thanks for the tips. 

I have contacted our I.T. dept and will try to get them to install the NLM on a server that I can browse to.  I think this will be a better solution than trying to have a PC on our network in an empty cube logged in with my username running 24/7 to host the NLM.  Someone will eventually be in the cube and will log on and off the network daily.

We are a house divided and have AutoCAD and MicroStation within our company.  The surveyors and most of my dept run ACAD for steel detailing.  Several other groups have 1000's of DGN files.  The Microstation folks use a network license so there must be a server somewhere I can tag along on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report