Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NLM--->PLU on Acad 2005 install?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dfunnell
237 Views, 7 Replies

NLM--->PLU on Acad 2005 install?

Hi,

I have 7 standalone machines, and 30+ network licensed machines. My problem is that two of the standalone machines are unused, and I would like to move those lics onto two of the network lic machines. I can't swap the user machines, and can't re-install acad. I know that the network lic installation doesn't install the PLU, how on earth do I install it?

Thanks in advance

Dave F
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
TravisNave
in reply to: dfunnell

The easiest way to do this without reinstalling anything is to make a few changes to the registry and the license files.

On your stand-alone machine, you can add the LICPATH.LIC file (that exists on your network version) to your program root folder. Then make a small registry change to convert your stand-alone to network:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R16.1\ACAD-xxx:xxx\AdLM]
"Type"=dword:00000019

On your network, you would make the opposite registry change so that AutoCAD thinks it is a stand alone version. You will then have the option of running a 30-day trial or authorizing the copy. From there you will probably have to get Autodesk or your reseller to help you Authorize your copy, but it might just work if you try it authorize it over the Internet first:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R16.1\ACAD-xxx:xxx\AdLM]
"Type"=dword:0000002a

You can find this similar information by doing a search on these forums. I'd give credit, but I can't recall.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 8
dfunnell

Thanks for the reply, the only thing is that the PLU isn't installed when you select a network lic install. I suppose I could try and 'trace/log' the MSI install for a standalone install -- but I really don't want to take that route. There must be a simpler way of getting the PLU installed locally, and then I'll try doning what you asked.

Thanks again

Dave F
Message 4 of 8
TravisNave

Right. I know this will work perfectly on your Stand-Alone installs. Converting those to network is a breeze with those few changes.

As for the networks converting back, that is the hairy part. You might be able to authorize it over the Internet. Just make sure you have your stand-alone serial number handy.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

I know you have to live within the restrictions you're given, but the flip
side of that is that you want those two PCs to be stable and available for
use all the time, right? In that case, don't hack the registry; tell the
Powers That Be that you have to reinstall AutoCAD in order to use those
licenses.

Another option would be to talk to your reseller, and have those standalone
licenses added into your network license pool. There will probably be a
price difference, but then they'd be available to everyone, not just on
those two PCs.

Or, just trade those two network PCs with the ones that have AutoCAD
standalone on them already!

--Cy--

wrote in message news:4879160@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi,

I have 7 standalone machines, and 30+ network licensed machines. My problem
is that two of the standalone machines are unused, and I would like to move
those lics onto two of the network lic machines. I can't swap the user
machines, and can't re-install acad. I know that the network lic
installation doesn't install the PLU, how on earth do I install it?

Thanks in advance

Dave F
Message 6 of 8
TravisNave

Sure, that would be the right way to do it. I simply gave him the quick and easy solution based on the restrictions he quoted.

Anyway, there is no use reinstalling a perfectly good and working system if a simple registry change will work.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

With your registry change, he *still* won't have the PLU installed where he
wants it, thus limiting his future options on that system, making it less
than "perfectly good". Further, he will be violating his license agreement
if he doesn't delete the licenses on the two original PCs after
reauthorizing on the new system.

--Cy--

wrote in message news:4879887@discussion.autodesk.com...
Sure, that would be the right way to do it. I simply gave him the quick and
easy solution based on the restrictions he quoted.

Anyway, there is no use reinstalling a perfectly good and working system if
a simple registry change will work.
Message 8 of 8
TravisNave

That is not necessarily the case. The EULA for AutoCAD 2005 states:

--------------------
3.1.2 Additional Installation. ...You may Install and Access a second copy of the Software on the hard disk of a second Computer owned by You or under Your control provided that:

- the original and second copies are used only by the same person;
- only one of the Software copies is Accessed at any one time;
- or a notebook computer or other non-server computer away from Your usual work location for the purpose of enabling You to perform work while away from Your usual work location;
--------------------

Furthermore, once the changes are made so as the software becomes a network version and uses a valid network license from the License Manger, it is no longer a stand-alone version. The serial number and the license is not bound to the physical media.

The Activation Code for authorization is the mechanism that provides the license to the stand-alone program. Therefore, by switching the network version to stand-alone, you would simply need to re-authorize the copy, per the EULA (Section 6.2.)

If the software is registered and he has the appropriate number of licenses, then he is well within his bounds of the EULA. Re-authorizing the stand-alone would be the proper procedure. The PLU isn't even an issue since he already has the installation on other machines and can infact install a second usuable copy should he need to, per the EULA. He doesn't need to transfer the licenses that he isn't using anymore, just reactivate the new ones.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report