Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NLM Server will not start

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
lumccarty
2108 Views, 4 Replies

NLM Server will not start

I've had some conversation in another thread on this topic, searched for this problem specifically, found none - so I decided to create a standalone thread for it.

The problem; the License Manager for a single server configuration will not start.

The particulars:

• Designated server PC is a Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit box
  • McAfee has been disabled
  •  There is another software using Flex on this box, works ok - but to troubleshoot I have disabled it while trying to sort out this Inventor stuff - otherwise, this is a pretty vanilla Win 7 PC.
  • License file for Inventor 2012 containing 8 seats is verified valid
  • Default installation of tools performed; adskflex/lmgrd/lmtools - from installation disk
  • Installation changed to the IPv6 for 64-Bit (same files) linked to this discussion group (v11.9)

3-geo.png

• All information and files entered per instructions, all defaults in use
  • Everything looks as it should, when I click on Start Server in LMTOOLS I get the "Server Start Successful" message returned.

When I check Server Status I get the following message:

lmgrd is not running: Cannot connect to license server system.
 The license server manager (lmgrd) has not been started yet,
 the wrong port@host or license file is being used, or the
 port or hostname in the license file has been changed.
Server name:   geotrain
License path:  @geotrain;
FLEXnet Licensing error:-15,570

I then went to the Services dialog, found the InventorServer entry, opened up properties and clicked the Start button to start the service - the following message is displayed to me.

2-geo.png

What I have learned so far is that this process of getting a network license manager running is not as simple as I first thought. I also understand the error message I was getting in LMTOOLS is because InventorServer (lmgrd) never actually started.

Anyone with any ideas on this?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: lumccarty

This is almost exclusively a IPv6 / Firewall issue.  I can help resolve this for you but will need additional information from you. 

You need to PING your servername from itself via the CMD Prompt and let me know what the IP address is listed as.  You also need to disable any UAC and allow Firewall access (if enabled) for all four .exe files as well as port exceptions for ports 27000 and 2080.

For more information about Network License Manager connectivity issues and IPv6, please see my discussion post here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Network-License-Error-1-5-15-and-IPv6/td-p/2982...

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 5
lumccarty

Ping:

Pinging geotrain [fe80::cde5:cf75:6ff5:f128%13] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from fe80::cde5:cf75:6ff5:f128%13: time<1ms

Ping statistics for fe80::cde5:cf75:6ff5:f128%13:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Added to firewall:

adskflex

lmtools

lmgrd

lmutils

port 2080 TCP/UDP Inbound and Outbound

port 27000 TCP/UDP Inbound and Outbound

UAC is Off

Not sure how much I should look at the IPv6 link you just posted until I hear back from you on this information.

Message 4 of 5
TravisNave

Your FlexLM will not work until your PING responds with an IPv4 address in the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx format.

This is IPv6 (Problematic)

This is what you should expect via IPv4

Reply from 127.0.0.1 time<1ms

My link above will show you how to modify your hosts file so that your LMTOOLS connects via the localhost loopback per the IPv4 protocol intead of IPv6.  You will also need to make similar modifications on your clients if you PING the server and they obtain an IPv6 response.  Adding the servername and its IPv4 address (i.e. 192.168.1.100) will solve that issue as well.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 5
lumccarty
in reply to: TravisNave

Thanks! The issue was IPv6.

Noteworthy for anyone else reading, the Microsoft knowledge base link included in Travis' original license error post is: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852/en-us and contains a "FixIt" button to automatically disable IPv6 on Windows 7. It is bascially a .reg file that is downloaded and applied.

This fix was required only on the server machine and my NLM started working immediately.

Many thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report