Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
198 Views, 1 Reply

Multiple ADLM Servers

I have two license servers setup to serve out AutoCAD licenses, call them SERVERA and SERVERB. If a user has acadserver = SERVERA, SERVERB, how come the user sometimes gets licenses from SERVERB, even if there are free licenses on SERVERA?

Also, if I am using a resouce file and the user is in the file on SERVERA, shouldn't he always get a license from SERVERA, even though he has access to SERVERB.

I have also seen a case where a user will have two instances of AutoCAD open on the same machine and the license server indicates that tow licenses have been used. Is this normal? I would have thought that it would only take one license, being that it is only one machine.

Thanks for your help in understanding this.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

TJ -
The user will connect to whichever server answers first. Period. As far as I know the
order in which you have the servers listed has nothing to do with the server search order.
In your case (with no @ symbol) the adlm license request is broadcast to the subnet as
well as SERVERA and SERVERB. Whichever server responds to the request first issues the
license.
Using the resource file will not guarantee that the user gets a license from a particular
server unless that user is denied. In the case that the user is denied I'm not sure that
autocad won't just report back to (her)him that the server said he can't have a license.
I don't think that autocad will ask any additional servers if that user can have a license
since (s)he's already been denied one.
For the multiple instances the reporting is kinda funky. It's logged twice in the display
and appears that the user has more than one license checked out, but if you check the # of
available licenses you'll notice that the # available takes into consideration the fact
that a single user has more than one instance open. What I'm trying to say is that
multiple instances of autocad on a single machine don't use multiple licenses on the adlm,
it just "looks" like it does.

hth

jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza

"tjcrick" wrote in message news:f05f9b3.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
I have two license servers setup to serve out AutoCAD licenses, call them SERVERA and
SERVERB. If a user has acadserver = SERVERA, SERVERB, how come the user sometimes gets
licenses from SERVERB, even if there are free licenses on SERVERA?
Also, if I am using a resouce file and the user is in the file on SERVERA, shouldn't he
always get a license from SERVERA, even though he has access to SERVERB.
I have also seen a case where a user will have two instances of AutoCAD open on the same
machine and the license server indicates that tow licenses have been used. Is this normal?
I would have thought that it would only take one license, being that it is only one
machine.
Thanks for your help in understanding this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report