Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-Seat Standalone II

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
paul.ashley
490 Views, 27 Replies

Multi-Seat Standalone II

I have been considering using the license manager for our 80 seats of AutoCAD 2006 but have run into a snag that has casued me to reconsider. But I'm concerned about the ramifications of going back to a single-authorixation code multiple seat setup in the new licensing environment.

1) Can anyone confirm whether or not it is still possible to have a single authorization code for multiple standalone seats? I've heard different stories form different sources.

2) If this is an option, would each installation be required to hit the web for registration?

3) Is there a way to drop a license from a station without transfering it to another?
27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
RonnieWilkins
in reply to: paul.ashley

For multiseat, I believe so.

For network, no. You can just change the registry entry that consists of just the name of the computer to pull a license from. Granted, you first have to activate the new server with Autodesk. Usually not a big deal.
Ronnie Wilkins, Jr.
Message 22 of 28
paul.ashley

What registry entry would that be? I looked around and didn't see anything that looked like it related to the license manager.
Message 23 of 28
RonnieWilkins

In a multiseat installation, each workstation that AutoCAD is installed on must be activated. All a multiseat license says, is that for this one serial number, there are say 15 seats that can be activated. Versus with a regular standalone license, you have one serial number per seat.

The multiseat license was created to allow large companies to not have to keep track of which serial number was given to which employee.

A license can be 'borrowed' in a sense. In order to 'borrow' the license both computers have to be on the same network. The reason the 'borrowed' is in quotes is because with a multiseat license you are transferring rights from one machine to another on a permanent basis, at least for as long as the machine 'borrowing' the license stays alive. It won't be able to truly re-activate the license if say the OS was reinstalled.

In a network license situation, you can truly borrow. Meaning that a license can be checked out from the server, but instead of on a permanent basis, there is a maximum period of 30 days (can be shorter if situation requires this) and at the end of the borrow period the client is deactivated and the license is reactivated for use on the server.

Message was edited by: rwilkins Message was edited by: rwilkins
Ronnie Wilkins, Jr.
Message 24 of 28
RonnieWilkins

I believe for AutoCAD 2004 and up the following holds true:

Sometimes its actually stored in the registry, sometimes it's stored in a file.

Either way, you can find out by looking under this key:

Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\FlexLm License Manager.

If under the above key you see: ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE
You will see the path of the directory that the file resides in. Usually the file name will be LICPATH.LIC.

For example: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2005\LICPATH.LIC

In this file you will see the following:

SERVER YOURSERVERNAME YOURSERVERMACADDRESS
USE_SERVER

Where YOURSERVERNAME and YOURSERVERMACADDRESS are your license server's name and mac address respectively
Ronnie Wilkins, Jr.
Message 25 of 28
paul.ashley

Got it. Thanks. (I was looking under hkey_current_user)
Message 26 of 28
Anonymous

With the standalone license, PCs do not have to be on the same network, or
on any network.

There is abundant documentation for all these features. Please see the
white papers here:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5128006

These may be of particular help:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=5127744

--Cy--

wrote in message news:4844246@discussion.autodesk.com...

A license can be 'borrowed' in a sense. In order to 'borrow' the license
both computers have to be on the same network. The reason the 'borrowed' is
in quotes is because with a multiseat license you are transferring rights
from one machine to another on a permanent basis, at least for as long as
the machine 'borrowing' the license stays alive. It won't be able to truly
re-activate the license if say the OS was reinstalled.
Message 27 of 28
RonnieWilkins

My Bad...

Just spent have the day talking to a client on network licenses and borrowing versus checking out...

Had consumed my mind!!!???!!!
Ronnie Wilkins, Jr.
Message 28 of 28
RonnieWilkins

Though I never have gotten a license file to transfer correctly from one laptop to another. Though could be from having ADT/Building Systems/MDT/ACADE/Inventor all on the same machine.
Ronnie Wilkins, Jr.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report