Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Installer Clean-Up Utility for Add/Remove Programs

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
TravisNave
108003 Views, 12 Replies

Microsoft Installer Clean-Up Utility for Add/Remove Programs

Installation, reinstallation, and removal of Autodesk software is often a recurring theme on the Autodesk Discussion Forums.  Since Microsoft has stopped providing a direct download for the Microsoft Installer Clean Up Utility (MSICUU2.EXE) I am providing it here for future reference.  The original Microsoft article was published under KB290301. 

If you are experiencing issues where installation is not possible because Windows shows your product is already installed, then this program may resolve your issue.  This program can also remove applications that will not uninstall from Add/Remove Programs.  Please use caution with this program as it can and will affect all installed products on your system.  Only remove the applications that you are having problems uninstalling or reinstalling.

To use:

1. Download and unzip the attached msicuu2.zip file.

2. Install and run from the Start menu.  It should be listed in the root of Programs.

3. Locate your product in the list then click Remove. 

MSICUU2.JPG

4.  Manually delete the installed files if they exist.  Reboot.

5.  If reinstalling the product, attempt to install the product now. 

This program should resolve the majority of installation issues.  Please post any follow-ups in your original post.

If I was able to resolve your issue, please select the "Accept as Solution" option so that you can help fellow members quickly find solutions to their problems.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
TravisNave
in reply to: TravisNave

Note for Windows 7 Users:  If you use this product to remove your Autodesk product and then receive a 1402 error on subsequent installations of your Autodesk product, please see the following Autodesk KB on how to resolve registry Error 1402 :

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16508079&linkID=9240617

Help Improve the Autodesk Discussion Groups
--------------------------------------------------------
If I was able to resolve your issue, please select the "Accept as Solution" option so that you can help fellow members quickly find solutions to their problems.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 13
TravisNave

DISCLAIMER:  Please note that use of the Microsoft Installer Clean-up Utility is NO LONGER SUPPORTED BY AUTODESK nor Microsoft and all liability of its use is subject to the user. This product has been known to cause registry errors resulting in 1402 permission errors during installation of Autodesk products on Windows Vista and Windows 7. 

PLEASE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Note:  This product has not been known to cause any such issues or problems for Windows XP users.  The steps and screen shots provided in this article were performed on Windows XP Professional. 

If you use this product to resolve installation errors on Windows Vista or Windows 7 and experience the 1402 error during reinstallation, please see the link provided in my post above to resolve this issue.  Please advise your IT staff before performing any of the steps provided above. 

The information provided in this forum post are not provided by nor supported by Autodesk, Inc.  Autodesk or its Resellers assumes no risk or liability with the accuracy of the information provided.  The information is provided 'as is' by peer users and is not covered by any warranty or service agreement from Autodesk, Inc. or its Resellers  Please use at your own risk. 

SUPPORTED AUTODESK CLEAN UNINSTALL PROCESS:

For more information on the Autodesk KB Support article concerning the clean uninstall of Autdoesk products, see this link:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2887771&linkID=9240617

Autodesk Forums:
Message 4 of 13
JosephDGarvin

Hi,

Unregistered Windows Installer, and then re register Windows Installer.

Method 1:

To do this, follow these steps:

• On the "Start" menu, click "Run:.

• In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /unreg", and then press ENTER.

• On the "Start" menu, click "Run".

• In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /regserver", and then press ENTER.

Method 2:

1. Use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to uninstall the failed product.

2. Click here: http://www.windows-installer-cleanup-utility.com/

3. Read the article and download necessary tools.

Now Empty user and system "temp" folders. here are steps to do so:

• Empty "%systemdrive% emp" folder.

• Empty "%systemdrive%%windir% emp" folder.

• Empty "%systemdrive%Documents and Settings%username%Local SettingsTemp".

• Or use Windows Repair Utility Tool to do the job for you.

Message 5 of 13
TravisNave

In an effort to maintain the best possible solution for diagnosing and repairing installation errors, I wanted to make it known that a new Microsoft tool has been released to replace the MSI Cleanup Utility for all operating systems Windows XP SP3 and newer. 

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Please use this in conjuction with the Autodesk Clean Uninstall Process to remove your problematic installations. 

Thanks to David.Lau for posting this update.  Please see his Up and Ready blog about this and other issues. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 6 of 13
nicesave2000

Travis, Thanks for the link. I should let you know the cleanup utility has been discontinued. However, within the same link, a similar program is "suggested" via the "Mr. Fix-it" series of utilities.

Message 7 of 13
rakeshrsalunke

I was not able to reinstall AutoCAD 2013-it said AutoCAD is already installed.I followed your solution and it worked great for me.Thanks

Message 8 of 13
rday04

I am going through this very process and experienced the 1402 error, however your link to resolve this:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16508079&linkID=9240617 t

no longer works because of Autodesks reformated website. It now redirects to :

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad

Needless to say I'm stuck till I can look up how to resolve the 1402 issue (I will say this got me further in the installation than I have gotten in the past 36 hours)

Message 9 of 13
DarrenP
in reply to: rday04

new link: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-1...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
rday04
in reply to: DarrenP

This link got me to the solution page on the updated  site. However, I experienced the attached issue on step 5 of the 1402 error solution:

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 13
rday04
in reply to: rday04

Moving forward and doing step 6 of the 1402 fix and then going ahead with the download resulted in the attached installation failure. I have added the Log as well

Tags (1)
Message 12 of 13
TravisNave

UPDATE

For Windows Vista, 7, and 8.x users that receive the 1402 error using the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility (or for any other cause of the 1402 error) here is the updated Autodesk link for the step-by-step fix:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-1402-or-1406-During...

I am also providing a Screencast of the steps created on Windows 8.1.  Your steps may look slightly different than this, depending on your version of Windows, however, they will be very similar to the Autodesk steps.

Autodesk Forums:
Tags (1)
Message 13 of 13
sahnuunyare

it worked for me thanks 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report