Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya student version plugin development

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jordonph
801 Views, 7 Replies

Maya student version plugin development

Hi, I am a student and I am interested in a future career as a production engineer or TD in the film/animation industry and was hoping to learn about Maya plugin development using the Maya student edition.

Is this a valid use?  Also is the copyright the same as with video content developed with the student version?

Can I offer plugins I make for free on a website?

If I later buy a commercial version of Maya, will I still be limited to non-commercial distribution of my plugins?

If I get an industry job, would I be able to use the plugins I developed with the student version or would I have to remake them?

Thanks!

Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jessica.t
in reply to: jordonph

Hi @jordonph and welcome to the Autodesk Community!

All software licenses obtained from the Education Community are for learning purposes only. Anything created using an educational license cannot be used in any for-profit projects the time of use or in any future state.

Please see our Terms of Use for further details. Thank you!

Jessica Thrasher
Message 3 of 8
jordonph
in reply to: jessica.t

Hi Jessica, can you confirm that this includes plugins too? Technically, plugins are not created with Maya at all, but use the Maya API, wouldn't the code I write still belong to me?

Message 4 of 8
jessica.t
in reply to: jordonph

Anything associated to the free educational license cannot be used for commercial purposes or profit, it is for learning purposes only. Please use your best judgement. Thank you!

Jessica Thrasher
Message 5 of 8
focus-gfx
in reply to: jessica.t

But this doesn't make any sense at all, as the plugin will not use Maya by any way neither the IDE used to write the plugin.
Furthermore, Technically, all Maya's plugins that I am aware of are dynamically linked to Maya's libraries and doesn't ship with anything related to maya.

Anyways, what if I use the student version to test the plugin and when I reach the point to sell the plugin, I rent maya for a month ? is this legal ?

Message 6 of 8
focus-gfx
in reply to: focus-gfx

I want to know where are we on this ?
you haven't answered my question.

Message 7 of 8
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: focus-gfx

@focus-gfx

You have to remember this is a user forum andaAlthough Autodesk does monitor these forums, it doesn't mean they will see and/or respond to your issue in a timely fashion.

Student version of the software can only be used for learning/school work.  It can't not be used for the development of add-ins/plug-ins that you're going to sell later on.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 8 of 8
focus-gfx
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Thanks for your reply.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report