Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2012 x64 SP2 installation issues

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
joebened
1237 Views, 8 Replies

Maya 2012 x64 SP2 installation issues

I'm trying to install SP2 for Maya 2012. In order to do that, I need a clean uninstall. I already have Win7 updated. The instructions for a clean uninstall
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2887771&linkID=9240617
say to start the uninstallation utility from Add/Remove programs in Win7 x64. It works for the peripheral applications, but nothing happens when I click uninstall/change for Maya 2012. To get around this, I went through the Start menu shortcut to uninstall Maya.
After that, I deleted the folder for Maya from Program Files (and also tried installing it to the default c:\Autodesk), from AppData Local and Roaming, from ProgramData, and the entries in - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk and - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Autodesk. The only thing I can think of that might affect it is not deleting the contents of %TEMP% before running the installation.
So after doing this about five times, when I run the SP2 executable and after entering in the licensing information, it gets to the Autodesk product installation UI, which says Maya and Composite have already been installed. However, there is no Maya executable anywhere on the system. I also ran the psebuninstalltool with the same results. When I try to run the tool installations, it says Maya 2012 has not been installed. I have my DVDs, but the service pack 2 installation instructions say to uninstall Maya and its components completely before installing it. 

What do I do now? 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
joebened
in reply to: joebened

Still lost. Is this something I could make a phone call or email to Autodesk about? 

Message 3 of 9
philip.s

Hi Joe!

Can you try running Microsoft Fix-it and let me know if that clears up the issue?

Message 4 of 9
joebened
in reply to: philip.s

I ran Fix-it. It said it fixed the uninstallation issues with these steps:
" Looks for problems that can stop you installing and uninstalling a
program
Registry Backup
This XML document contains the registry backup for the product
removed.
File Name:registryBackupTemplate.xml

Recovery File
This document contains the File and Registry recovery script: File Name:RestoreYourFilesAndRegistry.ps1
"

After running Fix-it, I had to delete the C:\Autodesk and C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk folders, since that is what Autodesk's instructions say to do. Fix-it deleted the Autodesk entry, but not the Alias and Alias/Wavefront entries (which were not under Autodesk's entry as one might assume), so I deleted those entries too. I deleted all of the files in %TEMP% that were not in use by other applications. Restarted the computer.

I ran 2012 x64 SP2, without anything else installed, and let it install to the default location: C:\Autodesk\Maya_2012_EJ_Win_64-bit. I choose > Install on this computer. I used the serial key from the student edition that won't expire until April 2014. The next menu allowed me to pick the different software products and peripherals to install, instead of the previous issue of saying they were already installed. I picked Maya, DMM, PhysX, and Composite only.

Maya will still not launch to the UI, and encounters the following errors displayed in the command window instead of loading to the UI.

// Error: Invalid flag '-nbg' //
// Error: No supported Cg profiles were found. CgFx plugin will not be loaded. //
// Error: initializePlugin function failed (cgfxShader) // 

These might be errors that could be addressed in another forum if the program is just loading as a command line interface. The command window displays that it is attempting to autosave every three minutes, which is a setting I'd had prior to uninstalling it the first time, so I'm also wondering how it saved the path to the old maya documents folder to access the prefs folder since everything else Maya-related was deleted. I then deleted the old maya prefs folder, and restarted the program. It then had a different set of errors, but continued to load as a command window only:

// Error: Invalid flag '-nbg' //
// mental ray for Maya 2012
// mental ray for Maya: setup
// mental ray for Maya: initialize
// mental ray for Maya: using 1 license
// mental ray for Maya: register extensions
// mental ray Node Factory: loaded
// mental ray for Maya: successfully registered
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/include/AdskShaderSDKWrappers.mi
// generating Maya nodes...
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/include/architectural.mi
// loading C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/lib/architectural.dll
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/include/base.mi
// loading C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/lib/base.dll
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/include/contour.mi
// loading C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/lib/contour.dll
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/include/paint.mi
// loading C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/lib/paint.dll
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/include/physics.mi
// loading C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/lib/physics.dll
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/include/production.mi
// loading C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/lib/production.dll
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/include/subsurface.mi
// loading C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/lib/subsurface.dll
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/include/surfaceSampler.mi
// loading C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/lib/surfaceSampler.dll
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/include/userdata.mi
// loading C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/mentalray/lib/userdata.dll
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_bool" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_int" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_scalar" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_vector" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_color" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_string" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_texture" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_shader" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_bool_array" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_int_array" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_scalar_array" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_vector_array" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_color_array" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_string_array" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_texture_array" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_shader_array" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_get_bool" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_get_int" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_get_scalar" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_get_vector" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_get_color" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_get_string" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_get_texture" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_get_shader" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_get_shader_bool" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_get_shader_int" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_get_shader_scalar" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_get_shader_vector" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : Node "mib_data_get_shader_color" has no ID, assigning a temporary ID. Scene should be saved as .ma (ASCII). //
// Error: manipMoveContext: Object 'Move' not found. //
// Error: Plug-in, "compositingInterop.mll", was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH. //
// Error: Object 'AEtabLayout' not found. //
updateRendererUI;
// Error: menu: Object 'mainRenderMenu' not found. //
updateRendererUI;
Message 5 of 9
david.lau

Delete your prefs so that you can reset your Maya.  The install is OK.  You may have some settings (3rd party plug-ins) etc that it may be causing the problem.

C:\Users\YOUR-USERNAME\Documents\maya\2012-x64

David Lau
Message 6 of 9
joebened
in reply to: david.lau

After reading the above post, I deleted the folder containing the old (renamed) prefs folder, and the new one created after I ran Maya following that step. When I start Maya, the usual loading splash screen appears, followed by the exact same series of errors seen in post 4. Maya loads as a command window and output window only, as it has been since mentioned in post 4.

I tried to look up a command for restoring Maya to the full UI from command window mode, but could only find instructions on how to start it as a command line interface.
Message 7 of 9
joebened

I haven't found a solution on my own or with the resources provided by the Autodesk discussion groups or in the Area. Please let me know if Autodesk is working on a solution to the bug, or if there is something I can do to launch the UI. 

Message 8 of 9
joebened

Has anyone found a solution to Maya launching in command window mode without the GUI? 

Message 9 of 9
joebened

Been close to a month since first post. Still encountering the no-GUI issue. I can't use the software until I have a GUI. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report