Contributor
Learil
Message 1 of 70 (7,414 Views)
Accepted Solution

Maya 2011 Mac OSX "error 20"

7414 Views, 69 Replies
07-27-2010 05:20 PM

Hey everyone,

I was hoping that someone could help me get up and running with maya 2011. I’m an art student, and I downloaded Maya 2011 off the Autodesk website for use with school work in the fall, however, I’m having some issues. It installed fine (so far as I know, anyway), but when I try to open the program, I get the following message: 

License was not obtained
Tried Maya 2011 (657C1 2011.0.0.F), error 20

License method:
environment variable MAYA_LICENSE_METHOD=’standalone’

Product choice:
environment variable MAYA_LICENSE=’unlimited’

License file override:
environment variable MAYA_ALT_EN is not set

I’ve searched high and low for an answer, but I haven’t come across one yet, despite two days of searching. I’m hoping someone here can help me with the solution. In case anyone has any idea what’s going on here, I’ll list my computer’s software and hardware specifications, etc.

MacBook Pro, mid-2009 unibody, 2.53 GHz intel core 2 duo, 4 gigs of ram, 256mb NVidia GeForce 9400M graphics card.

Currently, I am running OSX Snow Leopard, version 10.6.4, on a recently replaced 320 gig hard drive (fresh from apple yesterday).

I also have the serial number and activation codes for Maya, and as far as I know, I installed it all properly, which is why I’m stumped. A HUGE thanks in advance to anyone who can provide any help at all (even if it’s not much in your eyes, it’ll make a world of difference to me).

Also, as I’m a new member, I apologize if this has been discussed before, however I did a search and nothing came up for me. Additionally, I’ve read the user installation manual (it bears no specific mention of this problem/error) and I’ve scoured the Autodesk website to no avail. Seeing as all of these labours have fallen short of the mark, this post is as much a plea as a question, if you get my meaning!

Product Support
hashim.mundol
Message 2 of 70 (7,397 Views)

Re: Maya 2011 Mac OSX "error 20"

07-28-2010 02:05 AM in reply to: Learil

You have an answer on the other forum.

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-maya/autodesk-maya-2011/maya-2011-on-mac-osx-error-20/page-l...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
Learil
Message 3 of 70 (7,371 Views)

07-29-2010 07:52 AM in reply to: Learil

Thanks for the reply, but the answer on the forum didn't help much. Can you assist me? Here's where I'm at:

He said:

For similar problems Autodesk Support has recommended to remove

/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Adlm/.config/*.pit
/Library/Preferences/FLEXnet Publisher/FLEXnet/adskflex_00691b00_tsf.data
/Library/Preferences/FLEXnet Publisher/FLEXnet/adskflex_00691b00_tsf.data_backup.001

and then reinstall

To which I replied:

When you say “remove”, you mean delete entirely? 

And this may sound somewhat idiotic, but how do you uninstall Maya cleanly? I’ve been looking for a sort of uninstall icon, or by right clicking on the icon, etc. but I haven’t found anything yet. Sorry for the “elementary” questions!

And:

Additionally, there isn’t an Autodesk Folder under application support for some reason. And when I search for “adlm”, I find a folder that contains a subfolder titled “R1”, inside that there are two files titled “LMU” and “LTU”.

Is it possible that it installed incorrectly? Should I just uninstall and reinstall before trying anything else?

Also, if I search for “FLEXnet” it returns 0 items. Any ideas?

Is there a solution for this? 

Product Support
hashim.mundol
Message 4 of 70 (7,367 Views)

07-29-2010 08:12 AM in reply to: Learil

It doesnt look like a normal installation the, probably try to download the Installer again,

this link explains how you would uninstall cleanly

http://www.the-area.com/forum/autodesk-maya/autodesk-maya-2011/maya-2011-osx-64bit-trial-uninstall/p...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
Learil
Message 5 of 70 (7,352 Views)

07-29-2010 11:16 AM in reply to: Learil

Alright, I've made some progress. Maya still isn't installed, but I've noticed a trend.

I've done this three times now, and it seems to work every time, so I don't think it's an anomaly. Basically, I uninstall Maya (and use the terminal to remove the product code, etc.) and then restart my computer. After I restart, I re-install Maya. So long as I DON'T click the Maya icon, it's a "normal" installation, with the FLEXnet folder, and the autodesk folder under Application support, etc.

However, when I click the Maya icon to launch the program, I get the "error 20" message that's noted above. After that happens, the FLEXnet folder and the entire Autodesk folder under application Support, etc. disappear entirely as though they were deleted. I don't know what would cause this (or why), but I'm attempting to do the fix noted by the kind individual on the other forum before I click the icon and see what that does. I'll make sure to report back my progress.

In the meantime though, can someone tell me what's going on with that whole removal of files thing? Sounds totally abnormal to me. Oh, and I entered the 000-000000 serial number and 00000 product code (just to see if that would fix it), and it doesn't, so that can't be the issue either.

Contributor
Learil
Message 6 of 70 (7,350 Views)

07-29-2010 11:22 AM in reply to: Learil

Okay, here's what just happened:

I opened up finder, went to Library, found application support, opened up the Autodesk subfolder, and then the FLEXnet folder that was in there. I realized I was in the wrong spot, so I closed the finder window and went to do the same thing again (only this time to go to the .config folder), however all the files disappeared yet again.

Note that I didn't click the Maya icon, it just happened randomly this time. I didn't make any changes (such as deleting files, etc.), other than opening a finder window and closing a finder window. The files were simply there one minute, and gone the next.

What could possibly be happening?

Contributor
Learil
Message 7 of 70 (7,343 Views)

07-29-2010 12:09 PM in reply to: Learil

It's almost an hour later, and I tried a few different things, but now I can't even repeat having all the files show up, despite my supposedly repeatable process.

Any advice at all?

Product Support
hashim.mundol
Message 8 of 70 (7,320 Views)

07-30-2010 01:46 AM in reply to: Learil

Trial installation is very sensitive to the License files, there are control mechanism within the system to stop users from tampering with the license. I assume something has prompted this mechanism and system is trying to block the use . it is difficult to re-create this behaviour to test.

did you always use "zeros" as serial and product key, did you at any point input a valid serial number ?

does this folder have something in it  (files with names adsk*.data)

/Library/Preferences/FLEXnet Publisher/FLEXnet/

Does the log file (/tmp/Maya*) show anything wrong during the install.

do you have any other Autodesk product installed ?

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Product Support
hashim.mundol
Message 9 of 70 (7,311 Views)

07-30-2010 09:04 AM in reply to: hashim.mundol

Also please have a look at this thread, it might give you some hints

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Maya-2011-Trial-Installation-Error/m-p/2675334/...

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
Learil
Message 10 of 70 (7,307 Views)

07-30-2010 09:31 AM in reply to: Learil

The entire time I have been using a valid serial number provided by Autodesk when I downloaded the full 13 month Maya 2011 program. I used it every time with the exception of that one "testing" time.

I looked in the /Library/Preferences/ folder, and there wasn't a FLEXnet folder there either. There was an Autodesk folder, with a maya subfolder, which had 2011-64x folder inside, and that folder held a file called "Maya.env", but that was the only Autodesk/Maya related folder I could find.

I also couldn't find the /tmp/Maya* file. I just searched for it, but if there's a manual way of getting to it, I'll try to find it. Otherwise, that file is AWOL too.

And no, I don't have any other Autodesk products installed.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube