Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2011 Mac OSX "error 20"

71 REPLIES 71
SOLVED
Message 1 of 72
Learil
10003 Views, 71 Replies

Maya 2011 Mac OSX "error 20"

Hey everyone,

I was hoping that someone could help me get up and running with maya 2011. I’m an art student, and I downloaded Maya 2011 off the Autodesk website for use with school work in the fall, however, I’m having some issues. It installed fine (so far as I know, anyway), but when I try to open the program, I get the following message: 

License was not obtained
Tried Maya 2011 (657C1 2011.0.0.F), error 20

License method:
environment variable MAYA_LICENSE_METHOD=’standalone’

Product choice:
environment variable MAYA_LICENSE=’unlimited’

License file override:
environment variable MAYA_ALT_EN is not set

I’ve searched high and low for an answer, but I haven’t come across one yet, despite two days of searching. I’m hoping someone here can help me with the solution. In case anyone has any idea what’s going on here, I’ll list my computer’s software and hardware specifications, etc.

MacBook Pro, mid-2009 unibody, 2.53 GHz intel core 2 duo, 4 gigs of ram, 256mb NVidia GeForce 9400M graphics card.

Currently, I am running OSX Snow Leopard, version 10.6.4, on a recently replaced 320 gig hard drive (fresh from apple yesterday).

I also have the serial number and activation codes for Maya, and as far as I know, I installed it all properly, which is why I’m stumped. A HUGE thanks in advance to anyone who can provide any help at all (even if it’s not much in your eyes, it’ll make a world of difference to me).

Also, as I’m a new member, I apologize if this has been discussed before, however I did a search and nothing came up for me. Additionally, I’ve read the user installation manual (it bears no specific mention of this problem/error) and I’ve scoured the Autodesk website to no avail. Seeing as all of these labours have fallen short of the mark, this post is as much a plea as a question, if you get my meaning!

71 REPLIES 71
Message 2 of 72
hashim.mundol
in reply to: Learil

You have an answer on the other forum.

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-maya/autodesk-maya-2011/maya-2011-on-mac-osx-error-20/page-l...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 72
Learil

Thanks for the reply, but the answer on the forum didn't help much. Can you assist me? Here's where I'm at:

He said:

For similar problems Autodesk Support has recommended to remove

/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Adlm/.config/*.pit
/Library/Preferences/FLEXnet Publisher/FLEXnet/adskflex_00691b00_tsf.data
/Library/Preferences/FLEXnet Publisher/FLEXnet/adskflex_00691b00_tsf.data_backup.001

and then reinstall

To which I replied:

When you say “remove”, you mean delete entirely? 

And this may sound somewhat idiotic, but how do you uninstall Maya cleanly? I’ve been looking for a sort of uninstall icon, or by right clicking on the icon, etc. but I haven’t found anything yet. Sorry for the “elementary” questions!

And:

Additionally, there isn’t an Autodesk Folder under application support for some reason. And when I search for “adlm”, I find a folder that contains a subfolder titled “R1”, inside that there are two files titled “LMU” and “LTU”.

Is it possible that it installed incorrectly? Should I just uninstall and reinstall before trying anything else?

Also, if I search for “FLEXnet” it returns 0 items. Any ideas?

Is there a solution for this? 

Message 4 of 72
hashim.mundol

It doesnt look like a normal installation the, probably try to download the Installer again,

this link explains how you would uninstall cleanly

http://www.the-area.com/forum/autodesk-maya/autodesk-maya-2011/maya-2011-osx-64bit-trial-uninstall/p...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 72
Learil

Alright, I've made some progress. Maya still isn't installed, but I've noticed a trend.

I've done this three times now, and it seems to work every time, so I don't think it's an anomaly. Basically, I uninstall Maya (and use the terminal to remove the product code, etc.) and then restart my computer. After I restart, I re-install Maya. So long as I DON'T click the Maya icon, it's a "normal" installation, with the FLEXnet folder, and the autodesk folder under Application support, etc.

However, when I click the Maya icon to launch the program, I get the "error 20" message that's noted above. After that happens, the FLEXnet folder and the entire Autodesk folder under application Support, etc. disappear entirely as though they were deleted. I don't know what would cause this (or why), but I'm attempting to do the fix noted by the kind individual on the other forum before I click the icon and see what that does. I'll make sure to report back my progress.

In the meantime though, can someone tell me what's going on with that whole removal of files thing? Sounds totally abnormal to me. Oh, and I entered the 000-000000 serial number and 00000 product code (just to see if that would fix it), and it doesn't, so that can't be the issue either.

Message 6 of 72
Learil

Okay, here's what just happened:

I opened up finder, went to Library, found application support, opened up the Autodesk subfolder, and then the FLEXnet folder that was in there. I realized I was in the wrong spot, so I closed the finder window and went to do the same thing again (only this time to go to the .config folder), however all the files disappeared yet again.

Note that I didn't click the Maya icon, it just happened randomly this time. I didn't make any changes (such as deleting files, etc.), other than opening a finder window and closing a finder window. The files were simply there one minute, and gone the next.

What could possibly be happening?

Message 7 of 72
Learil

It's almost an hour later, and I tried a few different things, but now I can't even repeat having all the files show up, despite my supposedly repeatable process.

Any advice at all?

Message 8 of 72
hashim.mundol

Trial installation is very sensitive to the License files, there are control mechanism within the system to stop users from tampering with the license. I assume something has prompted this mechanism and system is trying to block the use . it is difficult to re-create this behaviour to test.

did you always use "zeros" as serial and product key, did you at any point input a valid serial number ?

does this folder have something in it  (files with names adsk*.data)

/Library/Preferences/FLEXnet Publisher/FLEXnet/

Does the log file (/tmp/Maya*) show anything wrong during the install.

do you have any other Autodesk product installed ?

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 72

Also please have a look at this thread, it might give you some hints

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Maya-2011-Trial-Installation-Error/m-p/2675334/...

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 72
Learil

The entire time I have been using a valid serial number provided by Autodesk when I downloaded the full 13 month Maya 2011 program. I used it every time with the exception of that one "testing" time.

I looked in the /Library/Preferences/ folder, and there wasn't a FLEXnet folder there either. There was an Autodesk folder, with a maya subfolder, which had 2011-64x folder inside, and that folder held a file called "Maya.env", but that was the only Autodesk/Maya related folder I could find.

I also couldn't find the /tmp/Maya* file. I just searched for it, but if there's a manual way of getting to it, I'll try to find it. Otherwise, that file is AWOL too.

And no, I don't have any other Autodesk products installed.

Message 11 of 72
Learil

Sorry to bump my thread, but does anyone have any new ideas regarding this?

Message 12 of 72
hashim.mundol

hi Learil

Sorry to hear that none of these fixed your issues.

I have done some tests with the trial versions of Maya.

Here is how i could re-create the same error "20"

System is unable to run the License Service FNPLicensingService  (in my case i renamed the file to simulate). this could be due to many reasons.

something i found regarding this.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8541630&tstart=0

To make sure this is the case. please try to run "ps -ef | grep FNP" in terminal after starting Maya(when the error comes up, without closing the error) if you dont see "FNPLicensingService -r" service running this is the issue.

once we find this out, we need find the reason why this program can't start.

check the file's(FNPLicensingService) existence.

it should be in

/Library/Application Support/FLEXnet Publisher/Service/11.7.0/

if its there try to run it manually from the folder, then start Maya

./FNPLicensingService -r

I would be interested to know the results.

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 72
Learil

Alright, I open the terminal like you requested and typed in the code you gave me. I tried this in both the Terminal utility on my Mac, and in the Maya Terminal that is packaged with Maya. Here were the reults:

MAC Terminal

matt-gilliss-macbook-pro:~ Home$ ps -ef | grep FNP
501 12143 12134 0 0:00.00 ttys000 0:00.00 grep FNP

Maya Terminal

matt-gilliss-macbook-pro:~ Home$ ps -ef | grep FNP
501 12160 12151 0 0:00.00 ttys001 0:00.00 grep FNP

The only difference I can see between the two codes is the "ttys001" in the maya terminal, since it's "ttys000" in the Mac Terminal. It doesn't say that there is an error or anything, but it doesn't it working either, so I'm not sure what that means.

Also, the Flexnet folder doesn't exist, remember? I'm going to restart my computer and reinstall to see if I can get it to show up again, but if not then I don't know how to make it show up. I re-downloaded the .dmg file, so I don't think that could be the problem.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Message 14 of 72
hashim.mundol

FNPLicensingService is not running. could you please try to run it manually.

does this folder exist ?

/Library/Application Support/FLEXnet Publisher/Service/11.7.0/

this is the folder which has FNPLicensingService program which manages the license.

othere FLEXnet folder is where license is stored. I assume you were mentioning about this folder missing.

/Library/Preferences/FLEXnet Publisher/FLEXnet

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 72
Learil
in reply to: hashim.mundol

Also, maybe I should mention this.

Back when you pointed me towards the "how to uninstall Maya cleanly" thread, I did as instructed to uninstall the program. However, I'm not sure if it's working correctly. Here's what I mean:

The instructions are as follows:

The uninstaller that you have seen in the past has been removed.

To uninstall Maya 2011 on Mac OS X follow these steps.

1 Navigate to the Maya directory (by default,/Applications/Autodesk/maya2011/).
2 Drag the maya2011 application to the trash.
3 Open a Terminal window and execute the following commands, where is your product key

For standalone:
adlmreg –u S 2011.0.0.F

For network lcense
adlmreg –u N 2011.0.0.F

This ensures that product information is properly removed from the ProductInformation.pit file.

Obviously I can drag the Maya 2011 folder to the trash just fine. But when I enter the terminal and type in the prompt, I get this message.

matt-gilliss-macbook-pro:~ Home$ adlmreg –u S 2011.0.0.F
Invalid number of arguments.
usage: ./adlmreg -i N 657C1 657C1 2011.0.0.F 000-00000000 /Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Adlm/PIT/MayaConfig.pit
./adlmreg -u N 657C1 2011.0.0.F
adlmreg incorrect command line 4...

So I'm not sure if that means anything. I guess it could just mean that no product information was entered into the .pit file in the first place. Also, it lists my serial as 000-00000000 in the terminal, but I entered a different number (an actual serial number). What does that mean? 

Message 16 of 72
Learil

Alright, some good news, and some bad news. The bad news is that Maya didn't start and I got the same error. The other bad news is that, yet again, once I got the error, all the Flexnet folder and Application support folders for Maya disappeared.

The good news is that the files showed up before I got the error, so I got into the FLEXnet folder, and opened up the FNPLicensingService file. This is what happened:

Last login: Tue Aug 3 09:47:33 on console
/Library/Application\ Support/FLEXnet\ Publisher/Service/11.7.0/FNPLicensingService ; exit;
matt-gilliss-macbook-pro:~ Home$ /Library/Application\ Support/FLEXnet\ Publisher/Service/11.7.0/FNPLicensingService ; exit;
logout

[Process completed]

I'm still not sure what that means exactly, but seeing "process completed" seems encouraging nonetheless. Once I saw that, I tried to open Maya, and got the "error 20" again like I said. 

You said that you'd be interested in knowing the results, so I assume that you have an idea about what's going on. Does this help you in making a conclusion?

Message 17 of 72
hashim.mundol

opening the program runs it without parameters. we need to pass -r to the program as parameter to test it

could you please re-install maya (make sure folders are in place)

then open terminal and try to run the program before starting Maya, (which seem to delete the folders)

/Library/Application\ Support/FLEXnet\ Publisher/Service/11.7.0/FNPLicensingService -r

If this gives some error as well. there has been some issue with licensing mechanism(system time change,license control mechanism has been tampered with etc..)

. Complete re-install of Operating system might be required.

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 18 of 72
hashim.mundol

Could you please post the following logfiles

/tmp/Adlm.log

/tmp/Mayalicense.log

/var/log/system.log

/Applications/Autodesk/maya2011/license.env

might be able to get more information

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 19 of 72
hashim.mundol

One more thing you could try is update with hotfix 3

http://mayastation.typepad.com/maya-station/2010/07/autodesk-maya-2011-hotfix-3.html

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 20 of 72
Learil

No progress yet. I've uninstalled, restarted and installed (in that order) 4 times now, and I'm not able to get those files to show up again.

I'm downloading the hotfix 3 file now, and hopefully that'll at least fix the disappearing files problem if not the whole issue. If that doesn't work I'll wait until tomorrow before I try anything again, as no matter how many installs and restarts I do, I can't get those files to show.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report