Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing the adskflex.opt Options File

82 REPLIES 82
SOLVED
Message 1 of 83
TravisNave
36051 Views, 82 Replies

Managing the adskflex.opt Options File

Issue:  You want to configure different licensing options for different user groups and networked licensed products using your Autodesk Network License Manager.

Solution: There is a way to manually configure the Autodesk Network License Manager to use different configurations for each license type, user, group, etc.  You need to create an Options file as instructed in the License Administration Guide.  Your options file should be created in a plain text editor like Notepad and must be named adskflex.opt.  Please ensure that file extensions are enabled so that you do not have a hidden .txt file extension appended to your filename.  Furthermore, the adskflex.opt options file must be saved in the same location as your Autodesk .lic license file.  To activate the options file, you need to reread the license from the Start/Stop/Reread tab of LMTOOLS.  You can then use your debug.log file to verify that the options are working properly.

Additional information about the adskflex.opt Options File can be found here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=7459915&linkID=9240617

Creating and Implementing the adskflex.opt Options File

1.  To create an options file, simply open a plain text editor like Notepad and type the options that you wish to implement.

adskflex.JPG

2.  Make sure you then save the file as adskflex.opt and in the same location as your Autodesk *.lic file.  You will want to pull down the save type box to all files so that it will not save with a .txt extension.  Make sure file extensions are enabled to determine if a .txt has been appended. If so, simply rename the file as appropriate. 

saveas.JPG

3.  Open LMTOOLS and go to the Start/Stop/Reread tab and choose ReRead License File.  This will enable the options file that you just saved. 

reread.JPG

4.  You can verify that the options file is active by viewing the debug.log file.  You can do this from the Config Services tab in LMTOOLS by clicking View Log... or by opening the debug.log file in Notepad from the path specified on the Config Services tab.  You should see log entries for each successful option that you created.  Entries should look similar to the following:

16:52:45 (adskflex) Using options file: "C:\Program Files\Autodesk Network License Manager\License\adskflex.opt"
16:52:45 (adskflex) ALL FEATURES: INACTIVITY TIMEOUT set to 900 seconds
16:52:45 (adskflex) Max borrow interval for feature, 64300ACD_F , set to 48 hours
16:52:45 (adskflex) RESERVING 1 64300ACD_F  license for USER_GROUP Admins
16:52:45 (adskflex) MAX 1 USER_GROUP Users for 64300ACD_F
16:52:45 (adskflex) INCLUDE USER_GROUP Admins 64300ACD_F
16:52:45 (adskflex) Report log started (+C:\Program Files\Autodesk Network License Manager\report.rl).

You can use the adskflex.opt options file to split licenses into different groups, reserve licenses for power users, or limit the amount and time licenses can be borrowed.  For details on each available option, please see the License Administration Guide in the documentation of your Autodesk Network License Manager or from the Autodesk KB link provided above. 

Feature codes for each of your licensed products can be found within the PACKAGE and INCREMENT lines of the .lic license file provided by Autodesk.  A list of Autodesk 2012 feature codes can be found here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17288427&linkID=9243099

For your convenience I am attaching a ready-made adskflex.opt options file that includes all of the available compatible options for the Autodesk Network License Manager along with commented descriptions and examples. You can use this file as a starting point to create your own customizations.  Please unzip the file and edit with Notepad. 

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Tags (1)
82 REPLIES 82
Message 2 of 83
TravisNave
in reply to: TravisNave

The License Administration Guide for the FlexLM can be found at the following link:

http://www.globes.com/support/utilities/fnp_LicAdmin_11_9_1.pdf

Please see chapter 13 regarding the Options File. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 83

hi

having trouble with Building Design Suite 2013 and borrowing licences .... i have created an adskflex option file.

and have confirmed the option file is being read by lmtool/flexlm.

i am the only user id in the borrowcad group ; however other users are still able to borrow licences even tho they are not included in the group. Have i missed something ?

options file :-

#options file matt 02/04/2013

GROUP BorrowCad camsr1

TIMEOUTALL 900

# Building Design Suite Standard
BORROW_LOWWATER 85947BDSS_2013_0F 1
INCLUDE_BORROW 85947BDSS_2013_0F GROUP BorrowCad

#Building Design Suite Premium
BORROW_LOWWATER 85946BDSPRM_2013_0F 1
INCLUDE_BORROW 85946BDSPRM_2013_0F GROUP BorrowCad

Do i need to individually add all features codes in the suite ? and assign the BorrowCAD group?

any help appreciated

regards

Matt

Message 4 of 83

You need to add the option GROUPCASEINSENSITIVE ON to your list. That
should allow it to work.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 5 of 83
miguel.aldama

Hello,

I have 8 license for Autodesk Product Desing Suite Standar 2014, but we just use the ACAD Mechanical 2011 (beacuse our standard)...

But we want to have 1 licenese reserved for a group of 2 users, and another license for another 2 users... the remaining 6 license wil be available for the rest of the users. 

This is the option file so far:

GROUPCASEINSENSITIVE ON
GROUP Engineering jdelacru ichavez
GROUP ProductEng egarcia1 joliver
RESERVE 1 85813PDSS_F GROUP Engineering
RESERVE 1 85813PDSS_F GROUP ProductEng

But, at todays license usage, I notice that egarcia1 and joliver can have 2 license opened at the same time, is it possible to isolate this license just for one of them at the time? I mean, if egarcia1 has the ACAD open, then joliver has to wait until the license is released. 

Another question is, the users only opens AutoCAD Mechanical 2011, is it correct to add this feature code only? 85813PDSS_F ?

How can I configure the rest of the users to look only for the 6 remaining license on the pool?

Thank you very much for the help!Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 83
TravisNave
in reply to: miguel.aldama

Welcome to the community. 

Excellent questions.  I believe what you are asking can be done with some tweaking.

You can limit the group to the 1 license by using the MAX option.  Here's what I recommend for your options file syntax:

TIMEOUTALL 900

GROUPCASEINSENSITIVE ON

GROUP Engineering jdelacru ichavez

GROUP ProductEng egarcia1 joliver

RESERVE 1 85813PDSS_F GROUP Engineering

RESERVE 1 85813PDSS_F GROUP ProductEng

MAX 1 85813PDSS_F GROUP Engineering

MAX 1 85813PDSS_F GROUP ProductEng

This would still reserve the 2 licenses (effectively leaving the 6 for everyone else *not* on the group list.)  But it would also limit the groups to 1 license max each.  So if egarcia1 is using AutoCADM, then joliver will get denied until that one reserve is freed up.  Nobody else would be denied unless the 6 remaining are used up.  I always recommend the TIMEOUTALL option because it will help return idle licenses should somebody launch the program and then leave it up all day and not use it. 

Also, it might be a good idea to consider the EXCLUDE_BORROW option for those groups as well, because of egarcia1 borrows a seat, then joliver will never be able to launch it, until it expires.  Just a thought. 

As for your feature code, it's best to reserve with the PDSS_F because it reserves the whole Subscription package, rather than just the Mechanical.  So, you're fine there.

Make the changes, stop/start the service, and verify in the debug.  Hope that helps!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 83
scf4444

Hello,

Is it possible to limit the max usage of one of the software titles within the Building Design Suite?  For example, in a 10-user network license, can AutoCAD be prevented from consuming more than 4 BDS network licenses?  Can it be done without having to define and maintain a group in the options file?  

Thanks!

Message 8 of 83
TravisNave
in reply to: scf4444

This is a tough question.  You might be able to do it with a MAX option on your entire subnet.

MAX 4 86063ACD_2014_0F INTERNET 192.168.1.*

Limiting cascade is not any easy thing to do in partial.  It's typically all or none.  But you might be able to experiment and get something figured out. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 83
GTVic

Hi Travis,

Is it possible to break the HOST_GROUP <name> <computer1> <computer2> ... line into multiple lines?

Thanks,

Greg

Message 10 of 83
TravisNave
in reply to: GTVic

Yes, the line is infinite so wordwrap doesn't mean anything.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 11 of 83
TravisNave

@TravisNave wrote:

The License Administration Guide for the FlexLM can be found at the following link:

http://www.globes.com/support/utilities/fnp_LicAdmin_11_9_1.pdf

Please see chapter 13 regarding the Options File. 

Since the retirement of the FlexLM download site, I have been asked a few times for updated information.  Attached is the FlexLM User Guide (PDF) that is no longer valid at the link I provided.

Also, since the recent changes in the Autodesk support links, the original knowledge base link for the options file has been changed.  The new link can be found here:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Autodesk-Licensing/fil...

Hope this helps.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 12 of 83
jocelyn.mombo

Hi Travis,

We have an issue to run ours AutoCAD licenses.

Last year we got AutoCAD 2014 version and it working well, this year we get a AutoCAD 2015 version, so we have 2 licenses.

Now we want to run both AutoCAD 2014 & 2015 version on NetWork licensing way. But when a version is running we cannot run the another version it seem that the server don't see 2 licenses. We have 2 licenses but we cannot run the 2 licenses run simultanously we get error code erreur[-4.132.0]. see bellow your licenses and Option file, please someone can you tell what is wrong ?

License file

Please be aware that this is a public forum posting serial numbers or personal information is not advised

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 13 of 83
TravisNave
in reply to: jocelyn.mombo

License files only combine properly when they are generated on the same date.  So, therefore, in your case only the newer license is being recognized.  If you redo the license files today, you will see both seats. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 14 of 83
akmcinnes

Can you group IP addresses the same way as you can with users

For example

GROUP EngineeringGroup 192.168.26.* 192.168.27.* 192.168.28.*

and still reserve the licenses by using

RESERVE 5 86268PDSU_2015_0F EngineeringGroup

Message 15 of 83
TravisNave
in reply to: akmcinnes

Unfortunately no.  The groups have to be usernames or hostnames.

To use the IP Addresses, you have to format it like this:

RESERVE 5 86268PDSU_2015_0F INTERNET 192.168.26.*

If you have multiple subnets, I suppose you can make multiple reserves. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 16 of 83
akmcinnes

The down side of multiple reserves is when one site has more than one subnet eg

One of our sites uses 192.168.26.*, 192.168.27.* and 192.168.28.*

If I enter multiple lines does that not mean I am reserving 15 licenses (3 x 5) for that one site?

RESERVE 5 86268PDSU_2015_0F INTERNET 192.168.26.*

RESERVE 5 86268PDSU_2015_0F INTERNET 192.168.27.*

RESERVE 5 86268PDSU_2015_0F INTERNET 192.168.28.*

Message 17 of 83
Miquel
in reply to: akmcinnes

What I have to do, to exclude a time out user by product?

This way:

TIMEOUTALL 900
EXLUDE_TIMEOUT 85782INVPUB_F HOST xxxxxxx

or:

TIMEOUTALL 900
EXLUDE 85782INVPUB_F HOST xxxxxxx

Thanks
Message 18 of 83
Fori123

Travis,

I am writing a license options file for the first time. Does this look correct to you? Thank you for your time.

GROUPCASEINSENSITIVE ON
GROUP Machine_Shop user1 user2 user3
GROUP Manufacturing user4
RESERVE 2 86393INVHSM_F GROUP Machine_Shop
RESERVE 1 86249FDSPRM_2015_0F USER user4

Message 19 of 83
TravisNave
in reply to: Fori123

Yes. Looks good. Just keep in mind that your RESERVE on the 86393INVHSM_F
is your Subscription file so it might try to reserve all the previous
versions as well. This might cause you to reserve more licenses than you
own and prevent others from using the rest. Testing and looking at the
server status will verify.

Also, your second RESERVE is on a USER, which is fine, but you specified
the GROUP before it yet didn't use it.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 20 of 83
Fori123

Travis,

Does this look better?

GROUPCASEINSENSITIVE ON
GROUP Machine_Shop user1 user2 user3
USER Manufacturing user4
RESERVE 2 86393INVHSM_F GROUP Machine_Shop
RESERVE 1 86249FDSPRM_2015_0F USER user4

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report