Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6
wetsneakers
308 Views, 5 Replies

MSSA installs fail

My employer, in their great wisdom (ha ha) has severely restricted privileges to their users including software and printer installation. I've been provided a local admin account (after much teeth pulling) to install ACAD, however when users log back in, the local admin folder is not available and thus ACAD won't launch. Is there an easier way than copying all the folders and files to an available directory? Yes I am aware a network version would also solve this, but they're insisting I pull a few more molars.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TravisNave
in reply to: wetsneakers

The bottom line is that Autodesk requires that all users have local administrator rights for installing the product. Your employer needs to recognize this fact and to authorize you temporary administrative permission to elevate these users during the installation process. Afterwards, the rights can be scaled back to standard users. Furthermore, some products like Inventor, for example, require at least a minimum of Power User rights to be fully functional.

User rights restriction is a result of a lazy and/or ignorant managment. It is pathetic and your company deserves to lose productivity as a result of not trusting their employees, IT staff, and their own internal policies for computer usage. It is ridiculous.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 6
wetsneakers

Thanks for the info. I would like to add that we are discussing a military establishment wherein paranoia rules supreme and I think we all know who to thank for that; sad yes, but a reality of today.

Cheers!
Message 4 of 6
TravisNave

Ah... goverment. Efficient, yes?

:-D

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

I don't agree with you if you say that all users must be administrators. I
can't see why that would be necessary. programs can be installed
automatically with GPO or other more developed systems much more efficiently
than by the user. Unfortunately not toomany people are aware.

Admin rights only help malware.

wrote in message news:5690305@discussion.autodesk.com...
The bottom line is that Autodesk requires that all users have local
administrator rights for installing the product. Your employer needs to
recognize this fact and to authorize you temporary administrative permission
to elevate these users during the installation process. Afterwards, the
rights can be scaled back to standard users. Furthermore, some products
like Inventor, for example, require at least a minimum of Power User rights
to be fully functional.

User rights restriction is a result of a lazy and/or ignorant managment. It
is pathetic and your company deserves to lose productivity as a result of
not trusting their employees, IT staff, and their own internal policies for
computer usage. It is ridiculous.
Message 6 of 6
TravisNave

I don't necessarily agree with it either. It's Autodesk's requirement for installation.

On a side note, and as a capable and competent IT guy, all of my users have local admin rights.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report