Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Liscense...now I have to upgrade?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
MJuric2
263 Views, 8 Replies

Lost Liscense...now I have to upgrade?

I have a stand alone install of 2008 Inventor. A couple days agao the machine it was installed on had a spectacular meltdown that ended up seperating the mirror raid drives upon reboot.

After fiddling around I resolved the issue, rebuilt the arrays and it would have appeared that I had no lost data. I did not have to reinstall anything or restore from backup.

However when I fired up Inventor it started searching for a liscense and asked for authentication.

I entered the registration info I had and it did not accept it.

Upon calling Autodesk they said that liscence was upgraded to 2009, which is true. I even installed it on a test machine and after having several vault issues decided to stick with 2008.

However from what I'm being told I now HAVE to upgrade to 2009 and re-register.

First is this absolutely true. I would much rather just put in a registration for my 2008 liscense and get back to work rather than spending the next several hours or days if things go horribly wrong, trying to get 2009 running.

Second is there any better "Step by step" installation instructions for and upgrade of 2008 to 2009 with vault than what comes in the box?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

~Matt

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: MJuric2

It is true if you upgrade and are not under Subscription, your old license becomes void. You could consider upgrading again to the latest version under Subscription and requesting a previous use for 2008 per Autodesk. That may be your only option. I am not certain you can still purchase legacy 2008 as it has been retired.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 9
MJuric2
in reply to: TravisNave

It is true if you upgrade and are not under Subscription, your old license becomes void

So this isn't something that can't be done, rather it's something they won't do because I'm not currently under a subscription?

~Matt

Message 4 of 9
TravisNave

That is correct. Your lease on 2008 is expired.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 9
david.lau

In the interim, can you install Inventor 2008 on a new computer and run it in trial mode.   Use 000-0000000 as the serial number.

David Lau
Message 6 of 9
MJuric2
in reply to: david.lau

Sure I can run this one on the trial mode for seven days apparently. That's not the issue.

The problem I have is that I installed 2009 on a test machine and was never succesful in getting the vault to work.

I run the risk of not having access to my vault if I upgrade my useable, or priorly useable, 2008 version. Furthermore if I don't upgrade to 2009 I will only have seven days of use left, which doesn't do much good.

~Matt

Message 7 of 9
MJuric2
in reply to: TravisNave

That is correct. Your lease on 2008 is expired.

Does Autodesk offer downgrades? I'd like to have a downgrade, get my money back for the upgrade, get my liscense back for 2008?

~Matt

Message 8 of 9
tcorey

It is not out of the question that Autodesk would allow the previous version use even without upgrading and getting on subscription. You just have to have a good reason why you need to use 2008. Call your reseller. Ask them to put in an exception request that includes your letter to Autodesk explaining the situation. Good luck.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 9 of 9
TravisNave

You're doing yourself a disservice by sticking with an old program that the industry has left behind. Inventor is not backwards compatible. Subcription is the best and cheapest way to have your cake and eat it too.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report