Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logged in user, I've tried lmutil/lmstat etc and can't get it to work.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jstrowe
5550 Views, 6 Replies

Logged in user, I've tried lmutil/lmstat etc and can't get it to work.

I have another flexlm product on my server where the autocad license is.   What I'm getting is information for the other flexlm product and not autocad.  I've tried lmstat with the license file path, with the full path and license file name with various switches and non work.

i.e. if it's a syntax error I have no idea how to get what I need.

Assume the license file (on my 32 bit flexlm server) is at c:\flexlm\autocad.lic

What program or what syntax can I run at a command line to list out

1. Is the license in use?

2. Who is using the license.

I'm sure I'm missing something but the /help switches are NOT very useful with the suggested syntax for commands.

Can someone give me a syntax example at my server command line with the above license file name and path so I can generate who is using autocad at a moment in time?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: jstrowe

You should have posted this in the network licensing forum so I could have responded the same day. I'll have it moved.

As for the LMTOOLS with additional vendor(s), generally you can resolve the status enquiry problem a few ways:

Method 1:  Make sure you select the Autodesk service so that it is highlighted on the Service/License File and/or the Start/Stop/Reread tabs.  Then when you perform a status enquiry, it should use the Autodesk license file in the status bar. 

Method 2:  On the first Service/License File tab, choose license file (assuming the service is already running) and type 27000@servername in the box (servername being the hostname of your NLM server) so that it will force a connection to the adskflex vendor port, assuming it is defaulting to 27000.  If not, use the correct daemon port.  From there you should be able to do a status enquiry.  You can also do this from a remote LMTOOLS if you install it on your own workstation for remote monitoring.

Method 3:  Command prompt.  Open up a CMD and traverse to the root of your NLM install.  Type the following:

lmutil lmstat -a -S adskflex

Note that the -S is capitalized and must be for the vendor daemon to work properly.  This will give you the same status enquiry from a command prompt interface. 

Hope that helps you and others down the road.   Smiley Happy

EDIT:  If you are running more than one version of the license manager in separate locations, don't.  See the link in my signature about comining license files.  It will show you how to configure your LMTOOLS to use only one lmgrd master daemon, which is the proper way to do it.  That way you aren't creating multiple release version issues and port conflicts. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: jstrowe

Try this script I wrote and see if you like it.  Smiley Happy

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 7
ebonweaver
in reply to: TravisNave

Trying to use lmutil remotely to query license status

lmutil lmstat -a -c port@server

This works great for ESRI license, but the Autodesk license refuses to respond properly:

lmgrd is not running: License server machine is down or not responding. (-96,7:2 "No such file or directory")

lmutil lmstat -a on the server works as expected to show both licenses information and lmgrd is most certainly running.

I'm at a loss as to why the lmgrd for AutoDesk's process appears to refuse to respond to remote query.  Any ideas?  Firewall exceptions for both Autodesk and ESRI ports (27000 and 27006 respectively) are identical.  Version 11.10 of the tools for both.

Message 5 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: ebonweaver

This worked for me:

lmutil lmstat -a -S adskflex -c 27000@servername

The switches are case-sensitive of course.  If the lmgrd connects at a different port than the default 27000, use it, but the the vendor daemon of adskflex should work.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 6 of 7
ebonweaver
in reply to: TravisNave

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the addition of that switch doesn't change anything.

>lmutil lmstat -a -S adskflex -c 27000@[server.fqdn or IP]

lmutil - Copyright (c) 1989-2012 Flexera Software LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Flexible License Manager status on Thu 8/23/2012 15:31

[Detecting lmgrd processes...]
License server status: 27000@[servername]
    License file(s) on [servername]: 27000@lic.sala.psu.edu:

lmgrd is not running: License server machine is down or not responding. (-96,7:1
1001 "Comm. error")

So, following my edits to remove info, if I use dns name or IP for server the results are the same.  The query clearly contacts the server, returns it's host name, and then says lmgrd is not running, despite the fact that it is.  The lmutil lmstat command run on the server itself returns all info as expected and confirms the licenses are being served on 27000.  ESRI licenses from the same server on a different port, same version (11.10) of flexlm returns it's info as expected.  No firewall block is occuring.  Still at a loss why it won't respond properly to a remote query.

Message 7 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: ebonweaver

If you are running two license managers, you should consider running only one.  The easiest way is to combine the two license files if they are compatible.  If the ESRI is completely different then you can still combine them by using the same lmgrd.exe (latest version) and place both vendor daemons together.  Repath both services and start them.  I suspect if they are running the same lmgrd, it may work.  I have had lots of success with this before. 

My signature includes a link with everything you could possibly want to know about combining license files and license managers.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report