Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8
m.pepin
553 Views, 7 Replies

Local Admin

At startup there's a language pack installation if you're not admin of your computer.

(Like it's starting up for the first time)

Same behavior whether it's AutoCAD 2011 64 bits on Windows 7 or AutoCAD 2011 32 bits on XP.

If you're admin startup Okay.

Did anyone experience that?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
TravisNave
in reply to: m.pepin

This is normal.  Installation and first time launch requires specific rights to the user profile and registry.  This means that you will have to have admin rights.  Afterwards, AutoCAD should be able to run as a standard user or with Power User rights. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 8
m.pepin
in reply to: TravisNave

When you remove the admin rights it always behave like at first launch. You must have admin rights to have a normal

startup. That's complete nonsense !

Message 4 of 8
TravisNave

That's uncommon for vanilla AutoCAD as it typically will run as a restricted user once installed as Admin.  Are you using a vertical AutoCAD product or using Roaming Profiles in Windows, by chance? 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 8
m.pepin

We do have AutoCAD Map3D 2011 and plain AutoCAD 2011 and they behave the same way if you're not admin.

Message 6 of 8
TravisNave

I would definitely expect this behavior from Map 3D, but AutoCAD should run as a restricted user once it has been run once as an admin user. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 8
m.pepin

On our network there's about 200 computers with AutoCAD, we can't give everyone admin user rights.

Message 8 of 8
TravisNave

This is an age old argument that ends up in a Coke vs. Pepsi clash.  It comes down to implementation and enforcement of company policy and the abilities of the IT Staff.  My network is larger than yours and 100% of my users have local admin rights.  Thus the argument is not about *can't* but rather about *won't.* 

Unfortunately the majority of Autodesk products require local administrator or power user rights to run properly.  It's been that way for years.  There's likely not going to be a suitable answer that you will prefer to implement in this case. 

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report