Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
507 Views, 12 Replies

Linger on a license

I know that if I see a linger it is supposed to mean a license is borrowed. But I cannot find a borrowed license. What gives? (Attached are relevant logs/reports and configs.) -- R. Robert Bell Attachment not added (content type not allowed): "adskflex.opt"
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Looks like you are running the borrow status and early return on the server. Those functions are not meant to be dome remote. Try the same commands on the workstation called jasons. -- Jerry Milana, Autodesk Consulting "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message news:41472a33$1_3@newsprd01... > I know that if I see a linger it is supposed to mean a license is borrowed. > But I cannot find a borrowed license. What gives? > > (Attached are relevant logs/reports and configs.) > > -- > R. Robert Bell > > > >
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

Jasons in not attached to our network currently. He is a laptop that is rarely here. And I thought the Timeout was supposed to cover this sort of situation (linger at +2,000,000 seconds [23 days])? -- R. Robert Bell "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message news:41473ebc$1_2@newsprd01... Looks like you are running the borrow status and early return on the server. Those functions are not meant to be dome remote. Try the same commands on the workstation called jasons. -- Jerry Milana, Autodesk Consulting "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message news:41472a33$1_3@newsprd01... > I know that if I see a linger it is supposed to mean a license is borrowed. > But I cannot find a borrowed license. What gives? > > (Attached are relevant logs/reports and configs.) > > -- > R. Robert Bell > > > >
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

TIMEOUT has no effect on borrowed licenses, only licenses that are checked out for a session work with TIMEOUT. Yes, the linger parameter is the remaining time left on the borrow in seconds. After that amount of time the borrow will expire on jasons and become available on the server again. There is now way to force early return even if the workstation is connected. Early return must be performed on the workstation that borrowed the license by the user that borrowed the license and of course, the workstation will need to be connected to the network at the time of early return. -- Jerry Milana, Autodesk Consulting "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message news:41474057$1_1@newsprd01... > Jasons in not attached to our network currently. He is a laptop that is > rarely here. And I thought the Timeout was supposed to cover this sort of > situation (linger at +2,000,000 seconds [23 days])? > > -- > R. Robert Bell > > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message > news:41473ebc$1_2@newsprd01... > Looks like you are running the borrow status and early return on the server. > Those functions are not meant to be dome remote. Try the same commands on > the workstation called jasons. > > > -- > Jerry Milana, > Autodesk Consulting > > "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message > news:41472a33$1_3@newsprd01... > > I know that if I see a linger it is supposed to mean a license is > borrowed. > > But I cannot find a borrowed license. What gives? > > > > (Attached are relevant logs/reports and configs.) > > > > -- > > R. Robert Bell > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Jerry, As luck would have it, that engineer showed up in the office today. I had him try to return the borrowed license, but it failed to return. Also, I have noticed that the linger value on the server has not changed. Today it still shows 2277480 seconds. Any ideas? -- R. Robert Bell "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message news:41474296$1_2@newsprd01... TIMEOUT has no effect on borrowed licenses, only licenses that are checked out for a session work with TIMEOUT. Yes, the linger parameter is the remaining time left on the borrow in seconds. After that amount of time the borrow will expire on jasons and become available on the server again. There is now way to force early return even if the workstation is connected. Early return must be performed on the workstation that borrowed the license by the user that borrowed the license and of course, the workstation will need to be connected to the network at the time of early return. -- Jerry Milana, Autodesk Consulting "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message news:41474057$1_1@newsprd01... > Jasons in not attached to our network currently. He is a laptop that is > rarely here. And I thought the Timeout was supposed to cover this sort of > situation (linger at +2,000,000 seconds [23 days])? > > -- > R. Robert Bell > > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message > news:41473ebc$1_2@newsprd01... > Looks like you are running the borrow status and early return on the server. > Those functions are not meant to be dome remote. Try the same commands on > the workstation called jasons. > > > -- > Jerry Milana, > Autodesk Consulting > > "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message > news:41472a33$1_3@newsprd01... > > I know that if I see a linger it is supposed to mean a license is > borrowed. > > But I cannot find a borrowed license. What gives? > > > > (Attached are relevant logs/reports and configs.) > > > > -- > > R. Robert Bell > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

The error I get on the user's laptop is: "Your license cannot be returned. For more information, contact your system administrator. Can still use until Friday, 17 September 2004. Error: [1200.5.-96] -- R. Robert Bell "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message news:41485952$1_2@newsprd01... Jerry, As luck would have it, that engineer showed up in the office today. I had him try to return the borrowed license, but it failed to return. Also, I have noticed that the linger value on the server has not changed. Today it still shows 2277480 seconds. Any ideas? -- R. Robert Bell "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message news:41474296$1_2@newsprd01... TIMEOUT has no effect on borrowed licenses, only licenses that are checked out for a session work with TIMEOUT. Yes, the linger parameter is the remaining time left on the borrow in seconds. After that amount of time the borrow will expire on jasons and become available on the server again. There is now way to force early return even if the workstation is connected. Early return must be performed on the workstation that borrowed the license by the user that borrowed the license and of course, the workstation will need to be connected to the network at the time of early return. -- Jerry Milana, Autodesk Consulting
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Robert, Early return problems can be caused by the method you use to point to license servers. Do you use licpath.lic or the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE variable to resolve license servers? Also how many license servers do you have and if you have more than one server are they configured in redundant or distributed mode? -- Jerry Milana, Autodesk Consulting "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message news:41487745$1_1@newsprd01... > The error I get on the user's laptop is: > > "Your license cannot be returned. For more information, contact your system > administrator. Can still use until Friday, 17 September 2004. Error: > [1200.5.-96] > > -- > R. Robert Bell > > > "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message > news:41485952$1_2@newsprd01... > Jerry, > > As luck would have it, that engineer showed up in the office today. I had > him try to return the borrowed license, but it failed to return. Also, I > have noticed that the linger value on the server has not changed. Today it > still shows 2277480 seconds. Any ideas? > > -- > R. Robert Bell > > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message > news:41474296$1_2@newsprd01... > TIMEOUT has no effect on borrowed licenses, only licenses that are checked > out for a session work with TIMEOUT. Yes, the linger parameter is the > remaining time left on the borrow in seconds. After that amount of time the > borrow will expire on jasons and become available on the server again. > There is now way to force early return even if the workstation is connected. > Early return must be performed on the workstation that borrowed the license > by the user that borrowed the license and of course, the workstation will > need to be connected to the network at the time of early return. > -- > Jerry Milana, > Autodesk Consulting > > >
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

AdskFlex_License_File=@HOMER;@BART Distributed -- R. Robert Bell "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message news:41489e5d$1_3@newsprd01... Robert, Early return problems can be caused by the method you use to point to license servers. Do you use licpath.lic or the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE variable to resolve license servers? Also how many license servers do you have and if you have more than one server are they configured in redundant or distributed mode? -- Jerry Milana, Autodesk Consulting "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message news:41487745$1_1@newsprd01... > The error I get on the user's laptop is: > > "Your license cannot be returned. For more information, contact your system > administrator. Can still use until Friday, 17 September 2004. Error: > [1200.5.-96] > > -- > R. Robert Bell > > > "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message > news:41485952$1_2@newsprd01... > Jerry, > > As luck would have it, that engineer showed up in the office today. I had > him try to return the borrowed license, but it failed to return. Also, I > have noticed that the linger value on the server has not changed. Today it > still shows 2277480 seconds. Any ideas? > > -- > R. Robert Bell > > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message > news:41474296$1_2@newsprd01... > TIMEOUT has no effect on borrowed licenses, only licenses that are checked > out for a session work with TIMEOUT. Yes, the linger parameter is the > remaining time left on the borrow in seconds. After that amount of time the > borrow will expire on jasons and become available on the server again. > There is now way to force early return even if the workstation is connected. > Early return must be performed on the workstation that borrowed the license > by the user that borrowed the license and of course, the workstation will > need to be connected to the network at the time of early return. > -- > Jerry Milana, > Autodesk Consulting > > >
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Go to the Utilities tab of LMtools and use the browse button to select c:\program files\common files\autodesk shared\lmborrow.exe then select to check the FLEXlm version of this file. Let us know the version of this file. Also please advise us of the OS and service pack level at the workstation and server. To make sure that the workstation can still communicate with your license managers, log in as a user other than the person who borrowed the license. Since borrowed licenses are specific to users so Acad will try to get a license from the server. "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message news:4148b839$1_2@newsprd01... > AdskFlex_License_File=@HOMER;@BART > > Distributed > > -- > R. Robert Bell > > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message > news:41489e5d$1_3@newsprd01... > Robert, > > Early return problems can be caused by the method you use to point to > license servers. Do you use licpath.lic or the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE > variable to resolve license servers? Also how many license servers do you > have and if you have more than one server are they configured in redundant > or distributed mode? > > -- > Jerry Milana, > Autodesk Consulting > > > "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message > news:41487745$1_1@newsprd01... > > The error I get on the user's laptop is: > > > > "Your license cannot be returned. For more information, contact your > system > > administrator. Can still use until Friday, 17 September 2004. Error: > > [1200.5.-96] > > > > -- > > R. Robert Bell > > > > > > "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message > > news:41485952$1_2@newsprd01... > > Jerry, > > > > As luck would have it, that engineer showed up in the office today. I had > > him try to return the borrowed license, but it failed to return. Also, I > > have noticed that the linger value on the server has not changed. Today it > > still shows 2277480 seconds. Any ideas? > > > > -- > > R. Robert Bell > > > > > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in > message > > news:41474296$1_2@newsprd01... > > TIMEOUT has no effect on borrowed licenses, only licenses that are checked > > out for a session work with TIMEOUT. Yes, the linger parameter is the > > remaining time left on the borrow in seconds. After that amount of time > the > > borrow will expire on jasons and become available on the server again. > > There is now way to force early return even if the workstation is > connected. > > Early return must be performed on the workstation that borrowed the > license > > by the user that borrowed the license and of course, the workstation will > > need to be connected to the network at the time of early return. > > -- > > Jerry Milana, > > Autodesk Consulting > > > > > > > > >
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

I cannot find lmborrow.exe anywhere on the server. Server: Wn2k SP4 WS: WinXP Pro SP1 The user is gone once again, along with his laptop. -- R. Robert Bell "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message news:4148d39d$1_3@newsprd01... Go to the Utilities tab of LMtools and use the browse button to select c:\program files\common files\autodesk shared\lmborrow.exe then select to check the FLEXlm version of this file. Let us know the version of this file. Also please advise us of the OS and service pack level at the workstation and server. To make sure that the workstation can still communicate with your license managers, log in as a user other than the person who borrowed the license. Since borrowed licenses are specific to users so Acad will try to get a license from the server. "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message news:4148b839$1_2@newsprd01... > AdskFlex_License_File=@HOMER;@BART > > Distributed > > -- > R. Robert Bell > > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message > news:41489e5d$1_3@newsprd01... > Robert, > > Early return problems can be caused by the method you use to point to > license servers. Do you use licpath.lic or the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE > variable to resolve license servers? Also how many license servers do you > have and if you have more than one server are they configured in redundant > or distributed mode? > > -- > Jerry Milana, > Autodesk Consulting > > > "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message > news:41487745$1_1@newsprd01... > > The error I get on the user's laptop is: > > > > "Your license cannot be returned. For more information, contact your > system > > administrator. Can still use until Friday, 17 September 2004. Error: > > [1200.5.-96] > > > > -- > > R. Robert Bell > > > > > > "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message > > news:41485952$1_2@newsprd01... > > Jerry, > > > > As luck would have it, that engineer showed up in the office today. I had > > him try to return the borrowed license, but it failed to return. Also, I > > have noticed that the linger value on the server has not changed. Today it > > still shows 2277480 seconds. Any ideas? > > > > -- > > R. Robert Bell > > > > > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in > message > > news:41474296$1_2@newsprd01... > > TIMEOUT has no effect on borrowed licenses, only licenses that are checked > > out for a session work with TIMEOUT. Yes, the linger parameter is the > > remaining time left on the borrow in seconds. After that amount of time > the > > borrow will expire on jasons and become available on the server again. > > There is now way to force early return even if the workstation is > connected. > > Early return must be performed on the workstation that borrowed the > license > > by the user that borrowed the license and of course, the workstation will > > need to be connected to the network at the time of early return. > > -- > > Jerry Milana, > > Autodesk Consulting > > > > > > > > >
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Robert, lmborrow will be on the workstation, not the server. Jerry "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message news:4149e78e$1_2@newsprd01... > I cannot find lmborrow.exe anywhere on the server. > > Server: Wn2k SP4 > WS: WinXP Pro SP1 > > The user is gone once again, along with his laptop. > > -- > R. Robert Bell > > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message > news:4148d39d$1_3@newsprd01... > Go to the Utilities tab of LMtools and use the browse button to select > c:\program files\common files\autodesk shared\lmborrow.exe > then select to check the FLEXlm version of this file. Let us know the > version of this file. Also please advise us of the OS and service pack > level at the workstation and server. > > To make sure that the workstation can still communicate with your license > managers, log in as a user other than the person who borrowed the license. > Since borrowed licenses are specific to users so Acad will try to get a > license from the server. > > "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message > news:4148b839$1_2@newsprd01... > > AdskFlex_License_File=@HOMER;@BART > > > > Distributed > > > > -- > > R. Robert Bell > > > > > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in > message > > news:41489e5d$1_3@newsprd01... > > Robert, > > > > Early return problems can be caused by the method you use to point to > > license servers. Do you use licpath.lic or the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE > > variable to resolve license servers? Also how many license servers do you > > have and if you have more than one server are they configured in redundant > > or distributed mode? > > > > -- > > Jerry Milana, > > Autodesk Consulting > > > > > > "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message > > news:41487745$1_1@newsprd01... > > > The error I get on the user's laptop is: > > > > > > "Your license cannot be returned. For more information, contact your > > system > > > administrator. Can still use until Friday, 17 September 2004. Error: > > > [1200.5.-96] > > > > > > -- > > > R. Robert Bell > > > > > > > > > "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message > > > news:41485952$1_2@newsprd01... > > > Jerry, > > > > > > As luck would have it, that engineer showed up in the office today. I > had > > > him try to return the borrowed license, but it failed to return. Also, I > > > have noticed that the linger value on the server has not changed. Today > it > > > still shows 2277480 seconds. Any ideas? > > > > > > -- > > > R. Robert Bell > > > > > > > > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in > > message > > > news:41474296$1_2@newsprd01... > > > TIMEOUT has no effect on borrowed licenses, only licenses that are > checked > > > out for a session work with TIMEOUT. Yes, the linger parameter is the > > > remaining time left on the borrow in seconds. After that amount of time > > the > > > borrow will expire on jasons and become available on the server again. > > > There is now way to force early return even if the workstation is > > connected. > > > Early return must be performed on the workstation that borrowed the > > license > > > by the user that borrowed the license and of course, the workstation > will > > > need to be connected to the network at the time of early return. > > > -- > > > Jerry Milana, > > > Autodesk Consulting > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Well, thanks for the help, Jerry. The issue is moot now, as the borrowing expired on Friday, and the license is no longer lingered on the license server. So I guess I'm happy, until the next time (although I did get the chance to "educate" the user ). See you at AU. -- R. Robert Bell "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message news:414a297b$1_1@newsprd01... Robert, lmborrow will be on the workstation, not the server.
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Robert, you can configure FLEXlm to allow borrowing to only the users you choose and limit how long they can borrow for. I will discuss borrow controls at my A2Z presentation at AU this year. Jerry "R. Robert Bell" wrote in message news:414f45de$1_1@newsprd01... > Well, thanks for the help, Jerry. The issue is moot now, as the borrowing > expired on Friday, and the license is no longer lingered on the license > server. > > So I guess I'm happy, until the next time (although I did get the chance to > "educate" the user ). See you at AU. > > -- > R. Robert Bell > > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message > news:414a297b$1_1@newsprd01... > Robert, > > lmborrow will be on the workstation, not the server. > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report