Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License was not obtained Tried Maya 2012, error 20

48 REPLIES 48
SOLVED
Message 1 of 49
arkiwave
61121 Views, 48 Replies

License was not obtained Tried Maya 2012, error 20

It seems that other people got this message about a license error when starting maya 2012:

License was not obtained

Tried Maya 2012 (657D1 2012.0.0.F), error 20

License method:

environment variable MAYA_LICENSE_METHOD='standalone'

Product choice:

environment variable MAYA_LICENSE='unlimited'

License file override:

environment variable MAYA_ALT_EN is not set

the solutions in many threads are referred to win os, but I run maya 2012 in a MacBookPro6,2 with Mac OSX 10.6.8

Thanks in advance for any help,

best

Sergio

48 REPLIES 48
Message 2 of 49
johnnythaitran
in reply to: arkiwave

Hi  everyone,

I FINALLY FOUND A SOLUTION to fixing the error "License was not obtained
Tried Maya 2011 (657C1 2011.0.0.F), error 20" and I thought I would share. 

I have been trying to solve this for two weeks straight, looking through all the forums, and going back and forth with Autodesk, all to no avail. Finally, I found a solution. Here it is. 

You need delete the file Maya.env which can be found below. This file is corrupt and is preventing you from booting up Maya. Even after you have uninstalled the software, it will still remain there, that is why uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work. You have delete this Maya.env file and when you start up maya again, it will generat a new Maya.env and then it should work. 

home user folder (not the hard drive) > Library > Preferences > Autodesk > maya > 2012 -x64 > Maya.env

Johnny 

Message 3 of 49
TravisNave
in reply to: johnnythaitran

For users experiencing this issue on other platforms, the Maya.env environment file can be located here:

Windows XP & 7

• C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\maya\version
  • C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\maya
  • C:\Users\username\My Documents\maya\version
  • C:\Users\username\My Documents\maya
Mac OS X

• /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/version
  • /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya
Linux

• ~/maya/version
  • ~/maya

Additional resources for Maya should be found at the AREA discussion forum here:

http://area.autodesk.com/forum

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 49
scottbrowne22

I found the maya file, deleted it and it's regenerated. However, the problem remains...

I  have reinstalled, that didnt work. I made a environmental variable, that changed the error to a different one. I'm back to sqaure one.

This is pathetic if you ask me. I simply hit Next accept. Nothing fancy. How do you expect me to fork out 3500+ dollars for a peice of crap that doesn't install.  you might as well take the trials away if it ends up costing me 2 days of research to Install a freaking peice of software. This problem has persisted for several years now.

Your software also litters trash files all over the place. The uninstalled misses so many parts it's disgusting. No wonder, there are issues.

Thanks for the rage attack.

I won't spend another minute unless someone helps me out. I've had enough of trying to figure this out on my own.

Message 5 of 49

Scott,

Hang in there homie, I feel your pain. It took me about 2 weeks of research to figure out a solution. Normally, the trials should install fine. I personally believe that there was something corrupt with the maya.env file that remains on the computer. Now I know you just said that you already deleted this file and it still doesn't work. But give it one more try. 

Which OS version are you running and what is you primary language?

Try to install this Maya 2012 service pack, it includes several updated fixes. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=18428455&linkID=9242259

After that, delete the file Maya.env, or move trash. Then, proceed to launch Maya again. Hopefully, that should work.

home user folder (not the hard drive) > Library > Preferences > Autodesk > maya > 2012 -x64 > Maya.env

Good luck. Let me know if it works. 

Johnny

Message 6 of 49
scottbrowne22

I tried. Screw it lol.

Just going to try Lightwave 3d, and/or Cinema 4d instead. I'd suggest this company fix their program.

Message 7 of 49
haingone

I tried to find the file 'Maya.env' following your explaination but there wasn't that folder.

I think this is because my OS X version is LION. 

(the problem that maya 2012 is not installed on LION has been solved by some method, but I cannot launch the program as the same reason.)

How can I find Maya.env or other files working the same on LION?

Please help me and I will appreciate you. 

Message 8 of 49
johnnythaitran
in reply to: haingone

Sorry haingone, I do not know how to answer your question. Perhaps you can search for it in finder. Also, you might want to try looking up installing maya on OSX Lion, there are many compatibility fixes for this issue. 

Best,

Johnny

Message 9 of 49
RingOfStorms

Do the following:
1. Press windows button + r to star Run and type 'services.msc'.
2. Click the 'Standard' tab on the bottom.
3. Find 'FLEXnet Licensing.. blaa' and right click for 'Stop'.
4. Right click again for properties and set 'Startup type' to 'Automatic' and press 'Start' below.
5. Apply and you are done!

From http://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36276

Message 10 of 49
nborko07

how to get to library->preferences:

in the Finder, at the top click "go", hold down ALT and "Library" will appear. 

Message 11 of 49
aeron91

Have the same problem with Maya 2013 on Win7 x32...

Tried all this and other advises and nothing helped... 

Seems I agree with Scott... 

Message 12 of 49
jfrancis
in reply to: RingOfStorms

Worked great; thanks!

Message 13 of 49
adrianzaval
in reply to: RingOfStorms

Thanks for that info.

That gotta maya up and running again.

Message 14 of 49
sigmond

Hell, i am having a major problem with maya 2014 student version for mac. i am getting the
License was not obtained
Tried Maya 2014 (657F1 2014.0.0.F), error 20

License method:
environment variable MAYA_LICENSE_METHOD='standalone'

Product choice:
environment variable MAYA_LICENSE='unlimited'

License file override:
environment variable MAYA_ALT_EN is not set
and it happened this morning and it was working good yesterday and i did not do any thing different. i looked at 5 different ways to fix this problem but none worked.i have been at it for 5hr and still get the same error 20. i literally deleted all autodesk files off my computer and reinstall the updated version 3, i even tried deleting maya.env but every time i tried opening maya, maya.env would pop back up and i did this 3 diffrent ways resyarted and everything.

the most important thing is i need to fix this ASAP i have 2 final projects in different classes and i think i can only get an extension to this friday. PLEASE get back to me fast, if u can call me or text me that would be even better, my number is 1(219)-902-9005. PLEASE i will fale 2 classes if i do not get this fixet asap. thanks.

Message 15 of 49
jonpaarlberg
in reply to: haingone

Also, you can use the following command from the Mac Terminal:

find / -name "Maya.env"

It will give you a list of files with that name and the directory where they can be found.
Message 16 of 49

Having the same issue with Maya 2014, uninstalled, reinstalled, download sp3, nothing. Is Maya just broken on my pc now?

Message 17 of 49
alan
in reply to: phelan_matthew1985

I have the same issue, no problems the other day . I have tired each step mentioned in the forum here but to no avail.

None of my other stations have any issue.  The wierd thing is Maya 2009 still works on the same machine that won't launch Maya 2012??

Go figure

Message 18 of 49
alan
in reply to: alan

Could it be related to a Windows update of some kind??

Message 19 of 49
jessica.t
in reply to: alan

Hi Alan,

This error could definitely have been generated due to a Microsoft update. What operating system are you running?

You may also want to check out this solution.

Thanks!

Jessica Thrasher
Message 20 of 49
alan
in reply to: aeron91

Hi Jessica, I am operating Vista, or rather that was what came with the computer.

As for the link you posted , I have tried everything that has been posted and still no solution.

There is no mention of windows updates in any of the postings, so I thought that it just might be that.

Since it has not been an issue on my other systems, their os is  XP and Windows 7.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report