Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License transfer Utility - Inventor 2011 & Mechanical 2011

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
natechampagne
2005 Views, 6 Replies

License transfer Utility - Inventor 2011 & Mechanical 2011

In my small office we have 3 licenses. 2 each AutoCAD Mechanical and 1 each Inventor.  

2 of the users require the use of Inventor (at different times) as they are both learning to use Inventor

User 1 has Inventor suite installed, although primarily using the Mechanical included in the suite.

Users 2 has Mechanical installed (mechanical only license) and Inventor installed (same serial as user 1) 

Through the use of the License Transfer Utility, User 1 transfers inventor license to User 2.  User 2 then uses Inventor just fine.

User 2 then transfers the mechanical license to the "cloud".  User 1 attempts to activate Mechanical using User 2's license = NO GO.  User 1 has no stand alone installation of Mechanical to match up with the mechanical only license from User 2 and is unable to use Mechanical.

I understand the why the User 2 license does not activate Inventor on User 1's machine, as it is only a license for Mechanical, but I need to find a way to activate Mechanical only during this "flip-flop".  Can I install a second instance of Mechanical on User 1's machine that could be come active upon the transfer of User 2's license?  Is this allowed? or is there another mechanism by which I could activate on the mechanical portion of the Inventor suite?

Thanks,

Nate Champagne

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: natechampagne

You need to uninstall the Mechanical from the Inventor Suite and reinstall Mechanical with your single seat of AutoCAD Mechanical.  This will take the Inventor license out of the picture and allow both of your users to use their Mechanical seats at the same time.  They'd still need to share the Inventor one, however.  But it would not affect their use of Mechanical at least. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 7
natechampagne
in reply to: TravisNave

TravisNave,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't believe this will accomplish the end goal.  User 1 & User 2 primarily use Mechanical concurrently.  User 1 uses the seat provided by the inventor license, while User 2 uses a mechanical seat.  If I were to uninstall the Mechanical installation included with the Inventor seat from User 1 and reinstall Mechanical from User 2, User 1 would then be unable to run Mechanical under "normal" conditions, as both User 1 and User 2 would require the same Mechanical license to use Mechanical but it would be in use by User 2.  This would work great under the "abnormal" condition when User 2 needs to use Inventor, as User 2 could be using Inventor while the User 2 Mechanical license would be available for User 1, but it is effectively flip-flopping the scenario to User 2.  

Current Config 

User 1

Inventor01 (+Mechanical) - ACTIVE

Inventor - Yes

Mechanical - Yes

User 2  

Inventor01 (+Mechanical) - INACTIVE

Mechanical02 - ACTIVE

Inventor - No

Mechanical - Yes

Proposed "Normal" Config

User 1

Inventor01 (-Mechanical) - ACTIVE

Mechincal02 - INACTIVE

Inventor - Yes

Mechanical - NOSmiley Sad

User 2 

Inventor01 (-Mechanical) - INACTIVE

Mechanical02 - ACTIVE

Inventor - No

Mechanical - Yes

Proposed "Abnormal" Config

User 1

Inventor01 (-Mechanical) - INACTIVE

Mechincal02 - ACTIVE

Inventor - No

Mechanical - Yes

User 2 

Inventor01 (-Mechanical) - ACTIVE

Mechanical02 - INACTIVE

Inventor - Yes

Mechanical - No

Does this all become a non-issue If I were go to a network licensing model?  Is this possible? And are there costs associated with the network model versus stand-alone?

Thanks,

Nate

Message 4 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: natechampagne

Yes, the network model would fix this issue. 

I was under the impression that you had 2 Mechanical licenses.  One for each person.  If that is the case, you do not need Mechanical installed from the Inventor Suite since it is the same product as just the stand-alone Mechanical. 

You could network activate your seats for a one-time charge and be done with this issue altogether.  Might be worth it in your case because eventually the LTU will fail on you and you'll have activation issues. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: TravisNave

yes travis is right the network license of both products would fix this issue

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: DarrenP

this explans how it works this is for 2010 it also applys to 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xg7kbZEqcA

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: DarrenP

more info: http://inventor-certified.com/graphics/2010/Dynamic_Licensing_explained_1.2.pdf

DarrenP

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report