Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License server in Virtual?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
cbenner
493 Views, 7 Replies

License server in Virtual?

Hello,

Background:  Last week after attempting to install Vault 2013 on our server.... said server decided life was no longer worth living and ended it all.  The 2013 install did not go, so we did a restore of everything on that server to a VM on another computer... just to hold us until our shiny new server arrives.

My question:  Our license server is stuck on the old, dead machine, and I've been told I need to generate a new license to get us up and running with Vault.  Will we have any problems loading this new license in a virtual environment?  I only need to get us a week, and then the new machine will be here and we'll transition to 2013, which has it's own license server on the disks.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
TravisNave
in reply to: cbenner

LMTOOLS will go on a VM no problem.  My only recommendation is to hard code your virtual MAC so that it does not randomly change and invalidate your license file.  Other than that, you shouldn't have any problems migrating your NLM to a new server.  You will need a new license file to do so, but beyond that, if you need any additional help, you know how to get ahold of me.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: TravisNave

Travis,

We (purely by accident) found the deceased server's MAC written on a post it note from 6 years ago, and were able to use this to get our license server back online.

Thanks for all of your help!

Chris

Message 5 of 8
TravisNave

Excellent find!  Swing on back if you run into any other obstacles. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 8
mnh00002

Hi Guys- It looks like we ran into the same issue in our environment. We virtualized the physical licensing server and after doing so it had a new MAC address. Now the Autodesk 2007 clients (we're on an older version) will not authenticate with the licensing server. Everytihng else on the licensing server remained the same. If we go and change the MAC addresses on the VM back to what they were on the physical server, will the license start working again?

Thanks!

-Mike

Message 7 of 8
TravisNave
in reply to: mnh00002

Yes that is correct.  It is imperitive that if you are on a VM, you must hard-code your MAC address to prevent this from happening.  That should resolve your issue.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 8 of 8
mnh00002
in reply to: TravisNave

We changed the MAC addresses on the new VM to the ones from the physical server and now AutoDesk appears to be able to find the licensing server again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report