Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License Borrowing on a laptop with Docking Station/Port Replicators

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
david.lau
576 Views, 2 Replies

License Borrowing on a laptop with Docking Station/Port Replicators

Just a tip as I had a recent support request on this issue....

When you borrow a license, please ensure that your laptop is not attached to your docking station/port replicator or it will borrow the license using the MAC/Ethernet/Physical Address from the docking station/port replicator.

To check your MAC/Ethernet/Physical Address of your computer, just open a command prompt and type:

ipconfig -all

You will need to be connected directly into the laptop's network card (LAN) before borrowing a license.

David Lau
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dgorsman
in reply to: david.lau

I've also had this type of problem when the laptops network card is set to power down when nothing is connected.  When you go to use the license while roaming off the network the network card is considered "not there" so no license is available.  It can reduce battery life but I recommend *not* implementing power saving on the network card when borrowing licenses.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 3
TravisNave
in reply to: dgorsman

In addition to the two good posts above, I have also seen this fail on laptops when you disable other network devices.  For example, if I disable my Bluetooth, my license will fail.  This can also occur when disabling wifi cards and other devices.  Be sure to test your Autodesk product while completely in a disconnected environment before you leave to be sure that the product will work off-site.  Good information everybody!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report