Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LMTOOLS ignores license file path environmental variables - question

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Jroper
3828 Views, 2 Replies

LMTOOLS ignores license file path environmental variables - question

The installation guide 'How to Configure your Network License Server' suggest check the box next to 'LMTOOLS ignores license file path environmental variables' on the Service/License File tab.  I'm confused about this option.  Does that mean it will Ignore the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE system variable? 

We use a variable instead of the LICPATH.LIC file in the product install directory to point products to the license servers.  The variable is easier to modify with a Group Policy change.  But the documention suggests that leaving it unchecked will report incorrect info on a Status Inquiry.  Can someone clear this up for me?

How to Configure your Network License Server page:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=18318727&linkID=9240617

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
TravisNave
in reply to: Jroper

This box is designated for the license manager itself so that it displays the correct server status locally.  If you have more than one license manger or the server at one time had a variable for ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE pointing elsewhere, then you would need to check the box so the license manager will see itself instead of the other license manager.

For example:

We have a central NLM for the entire enterprise.  I have an ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE variable set to look at that server.  But I also run a local NLM on my workstation for testing and support, as well as for my personal licenses.  If I do not check the box to ignore the variable, then my status will point to the main corporate license manager. 

This setting does not affect in any way how the workstations connect to the license manager.  It is simply a convenience for the license manager itself. 

Hope that helps.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 3
Jroper
in reply to: TravisNave

I think I understand.  Our license servers are solely for Autodesk licensing.  The license servers would or should never have the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE system variable set for any reason because no Autodesk product software would be installed on the license server.  However, I can see a situation where say a user workstation may be used as a network license manager in an emergency or temporarily until a dedicated machine would be set up.  Or like your situation where you are getting licenses locally and also from another server.  The check box just means "look here locally, don't look at the other servers when doing a Status Enquiry".

The wording of the guide and checkbox just made it seem like it disables ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE.  I was pretty sure that was not the case, but I wanted to check.  It sounds like best practice to simply check the box.  Thanks for the clarification.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report