Installation & Licensing

Reply
*Geary, Christopher W.
Message 1 of 7 (109 Views)

Is there a way to lock file from deletion.

109 Views, 6 Replies
11-11-1999 09:01 AM
We use a file server where all my drawings are stored. Autocad is installed
locally on each PC. Is there a way to lock the user out of being able to
delete drawings off the server but not autocad? I tried to set the
permissions on my server to "change" but autocad gets mad at me and have to
change back to full control.


->Chris
*Martin, Jason
Message 2 of 7 (109 Views)

Re: Is there a way to lock file from deletion.

11-11-1999 08:20 PM in reply to: *Geary, Christopher W.
What does AutoCAD do when it gets mad at you. Change rights are effictively
the same as full control, only with full control you can modify file
security. Change gives you add, read, modify and delete rights. My only
thought would be to take a look at the differences in you file acl's vs.
your folder acl's.

jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza
Christopher W. Geary wrote in message
<80esrj$jp221@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...
>We use a file server where all my drawings are stored. Autocad is installed
>locally on each PC. Is there a way to lock the user out of being able to
>delete drawings off the server but not autocad? I tried to set the
>permissions on my server to "change" but autocad gets mad at me and have to
>change back to full control.
>
>
> ->Chris
>
>
>
*Geary, Christopher W.
Message 3 of 7 (109 Views)

Re:

11-12-1999 05:17 AM in reply to: *Geary, Christopher W.
What I'd like to do, and I wrote the wrong one (add and read), is not let
the user be able to delete files off the server. Couple of times we lost
hours worth of work because some accidentily deleted something and we had to
go back the backup tape. If I change my folder settings to only read and
write, autocad only let me open the drawing in read-only mode.


->Chris
Jason Martin wrote in message
news:80g4vr$ntj6@adesknews2.autodesk.com...
> What does AutoCAD do when it gets mad at you. Change rights are
effictively
> the same as full control, only with full control you can modify file
> security. Change gives you add, read, modify and delete rights. My only
> thought would be to take a look at the differences in you file acl's vs.
> your folder acl's.
>
> jason martin
> frankfurt-short-bruza
> Christopher W. Geary wrote in message
> <80esrj$jp221@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...
> >We use a file server where all my drawings are stored. Autocad is
installed
> >locally on each PC. Is there a way to lock the user out of being able to
> >delete drawings off the server but not autocad? I tried to set the
> >permissions on my server to "change" but autocad gets mad at me and have
to
> >change back to full control.
> >
> >
> > ->Chris
> >
> >
> >
>
>
*Gilmer, Tom
Message 4 of 7 (109 Views)

Re:

11-12-1999 06:28 AM in reply to: *Geary, Christopher W.
Chris,
There is no way to prevent users from deleting files from a Server and still
allow them to edit the files. If you are using NT Server, the recycler may
have the deleted drawing. If you are on NetWare, you can Salvage providing
the directory has not been purged. The neat thing about NW is that the
Salvage operation reveals the deletor's name.

I've had similar problems. The best way out is to get the users involved.
Certainly, they don't want to see their work lost. They need very thorough
instruction on exactly how the Explorer functions. For instance, NEVER use
the left mouse button on file operations. Use the right button and carefully
read the popup before completing the action. Make sure they understand the
relationship of the SHIFT & CTL keys. I think that, if you look into it, you
will find that the users don't understand the Explorer.

Of course, you could delete the Explorer from their machines.

Good luck,
- Tom

Christopher W. Geary wrote in message
<80h42t$qc84@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...
>What I'd like to do, and I wrote the wrong one (add and read), is not let
>the user be able to delete files off the server. Couple of times we lost
>hours worth of work because some accidentily deleted something and we had
to
>go back the backup tape. If I change my folder settings to only read and
>write, autocad only let me open the drawing in read-only mode.
*Milana, Jerry
Message 5 of 7 (109 Views)

Re:

11-12-1999 09:35 AM in reply to: *Geary, Christopher W.
Chris,

The problem is that AutoCAD goes through file deletion operations as part of its
save function. So, if you take away deletion rights, you have clobbered
AutoCAD's save function.

Jerry Milana,
Autodesk Product Support

Christopher W. Geary wrote:

> What I'd like to do, and I wrote the wrong one (add and read), is not let
> the user be able to delete files off the server. Couple of times we lost
> hours worth of work because some accidentily deleted something and we had to
> go back the backup tape. If I change my folder settings to only read and
> write, autocad only let me open the drawing in read-only mode.
>
>
> ->Chris
> Jason Martin wrote in message
> news:80g4vr$ntj6@adesknews2.autodesk.com...
> > What does AutoCAD do when it gets mad at you. Change rights are
> effictively
> > the same as full control, only with full control you can modify file
> > security. Change gives you add, read, modify and delete rights. My only
> > thought would be to take a look at the differences in you file acl's vs.
> > your folder acl's.
> >
> > jason martin
> > frankfurt-short-bruza
> > Christopher W. Geary wrote in message
> > <80esrj$jp221@adesknews2.autodesk.com>...
> > >We use a file server where all my drawings are stored. Autocad is
> installed
> > >locally on each PC. Is there a way to lock the user out of being able to
> > >delete drawings off the server but not autocad? I tried to set the
> > >permissions on my server to "change" but autocad gets mad at me and have
> to
> > >change back to full control.
> > >
> > >
> > > ->Chris
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
*j63401
Message 6 of 7 (109 Views)

Re:

11-12-1999 10:46 AM in reply to: *Geary, Christopher W.
>The problem is that AutoCAD goes through file deletion operations as part of its
>save function. So, if you take away deletion rights, you have clobbered
>AutoCAD's save function.

So.... bottom line..... preventing accidental
deletion from a server can NOT be done from within
Acad itself, right?

IOW.... this is an operating system function ala
Win NT server??

-------------------------------
John S Morris
Enduro Industries
Hannibal, Mo.
*Aguirre, Jorge
Message 7 of 7 (109 Views)

Re:

11-15-1999 03:43 PM in reply to: *Geary, Christopher W.
Have you looked into a program called Undelete by Executive Software. This
software stores deleted files in the recycle bin, even if the file was
deleted from the network. As you know, if a file is deleted from the
network on a NT system, the file is not kept in the recycle bin. I have
used it and find it useful. Their website is www.undelete.com

Jorge

j63401@chromerod.com wrote in article
...
> >The problem is that AutoCAD goes through file deletion operations as
part of its
> >save function. So, if you take away deletion rights, you have clobbered
> >AutoCAD's save function.
>
> So.... bottom line..... preventing accidental
> deletion from a server can NOT be done from within
> Acad itself, right?
>
> IOW.... this is an operating system function ala
> Win NT server??
>
> -------------------------------
> John S Morris
> Enduro Industries
> Hannibal, Mo.
>

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community


Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube