Installation & Licensing

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 11 of 13 (52 Views)

Re: Inventor Dynamic licensing - Product Design Suites

07-26-2013 08:44 AM in reply to: pcrawley

I think you should be able to come up with a number of engineers that need the more expensive suite and just reserve that number of seats for them.  Then when they use any version, they always have it.  Anyone else will get whatever is left of the rest.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
Distinguished Mentor
pcrawley
Message 12 of 13 (44 Views)

07-26-2013 09:09 PM in reply to: TravisNave

Thanks for the advice Travis, but I don't think I'll pass it on.

If there are 2 "cheap" licenses, 2 "expensive" licenses, 4 users who all start work at the same time, and they all need something from the "expensive" license during the day, then there's no way that "dynamic licensing" can work.  I think that was the answer I was looking for unless you think otherwise?

Reserving the higher value licenses for a special group of users is a bit pointless because that's a chunk of the available license pool that is unavailable to anyone other than those users.  If one or more of the elite users goes away for a time, that's a valuable resource just doing nothing.

If you think that upgrading to 2014 is the solution, think again. Try 2xPDSS and 2xPDSP.  4 users, all in different offices.  All 4 users want to use AutoCAD Electrical and Inventor at some point during the day.  This is a reasonable scenario?  But it just doesn't work does it.  There is no way you could possibly describe this as "dynamic" licensing.  

No.  I think the conclusion here is that "dynamic licensing" is a misleading description at best.  You get the cheapest license available at the time you log in, and you have no way of knowing which license you have taken.  And that's it.

Thanks again for your help though.  I'm feeling somewhat disappointed and not looking forward to explaining it all on site.  At least I have a much better understanding of how it works.

Peter
Employee
NathanLos
Message 13 of 13 (31 Views)

07-31-2013 01:59 PM in reply to: pcrawley

Some of the properties of the client's license are shown in the Help icon menu > About command > Product Information dialog. Additional details can also be accessed by performing a status enquiry using lmtools on the network license server. I hope this information will make it a little easier to determine which users are consuming the higher-level licenses.

Nathan Los
Principal Engineer
DLS-Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube