Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor/Autocad Menus will not display correctly, completely unusable

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
TTUShad
523 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor/Autocad Menus will not display correctly, completely unusable

My menus do not  display correctly and I cannot see most of the commands, making the products almost completely unusable. The menu options all appear to jumble together in a pile, and while they are still clickable,I have no way to know what I am clicking. I have attached a picture showing the problem.

This problem exists in both Inventor 2014 and Autocad Electrical 2013. I have tried a clean install of both products. Inventor 2013 and autocad 2013 both worked on this machine prior to an upgrade to a SSD that required a reformat and re-install. Other than the SSD there were no hardware changes.

The computer specs:

Dell precision T3400

Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5 GHz

8 GB of ram

SAPPHIRE 100270SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3, direct-X 10.1 support

Windows 7 Enterprise N  x64, SP1

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
david.lau
in reply to: TTUShad

This is an interesting error.   Maybe change the font size and color to back to default. i.e. To restore the default font settings.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/change-your-font-settings

David Lau
Message 3 of 5
TTUShad
in reply to: david.lau

David,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not correct the problem.. I've also tried uninstalling the video card drivers and reinstalling the video card drivers, and that did not work.

Message 4 of 5
TTUShad

Actually your post got me to thinking about the windows visual elements, I had never considered that this could be the source of the problems.... I went to 

control panel-> System -> advance system settings - Performance Settings

and then played with the settings...

when I set it to 'adjust for best performance', windows takes on the classic windows '98 look but the menus rendered correctly...

so I turned all the visual effects back on and played with them one by one and it is caused by one of two settings:

'Enable desktop composition' and 'use visual styles on windows and buttons'... I can have one or the other of these on, but not both and it will reneder correctly. 

Turning off enable desktop composition turns off the aero effects and transparencies, but keeps the visual styles while  turning off visual styles makes it look like the classic windows '98 appaearance.

Message 5 of 5
david.lau

Made this post a solution and I gave you a kudo.

David Lau

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report