Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2010 license borrowing how-to

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
MSDLTHelpdesk
2077 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor 2010 license borrowing how-to

I am trying to borrow a license from our license server for Inventor 2010. I have one laptop I am trying to borrow a license for, but I have no idea how to do it.

I have searched online for quite some time now and have not had any luck. I found the network license admin guide, but it did not seem to help me out.

Can anybody give me a step-by-step guide on how to configure the license server and then borrow a license from it for the laptop? From my understanding, license borrowing is enabled by default on the license server. I can't get the laptop to borrow a license from it, though.

When I open Inventor, it tries to register it. After a while, it finally pops up with a box where I can choose to browse for the license server. I manually type in my license server's name. It says that the utility has completed and to click finish to close it. I click finish, and it takes me right back in an endless loop. I have to click cancel 8 times or so before it finally closes and Inventor just shuts down.

This is our first year using a license server. I have never had to deal with borrowing a license for a laptop before. We have always used stand alone licenses in the past, but they changed it up on me this year. If anybody can offer me any assistance with this, I would greatly appreciate it. I am lost and have no idea how to get this setup.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: MSDLTHelpdesk

Have you installed the license manager on a central server location and received a license file from Autodesk or your reseller? This would be the first step you need to take. Once you have that, you need to ensure that you are installing your Inventor as a network version. If you do not configure the installation this way, it will install as a stand-alone by default. Let me know where you stand on this process and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Hi,

To borrow an inventor licence after setting your licence server, go to About
in Autodesk ? menu and "product information.
Then you will find "Borrow a licence".

Franck Hervet
www.aricad.fr

"MSDLTHelpdesk" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
6305002@discussion.autodesk.com...
> I am trying to borrow a license from our license server for Inventor 2010.
> I have one laptop I am trying to borrow a license for, but I have no idea
> how to do it.
>
> I have searched online for quite some time now and have not had any luck.
> I found the network license admin guide, but it did not seem to help me
> out.
>
> Can anybody give me a step-by-step guide on how to configure the license
> server and then borrow a license from it for the laptop? From my
> understanding, license borrowing is enabled by default on the license
> server. I can't get the laptop to borrow a license from it, though.
>
> When I open Inventor, it tries to register it. After a while, it finally
> pops up with a box where I can choose to browse for the license server. I
> manually type in my license server's name. It says that the utility has
> completed and to click finish to close it. I click finish, and it takes
> me right back in an endless loop. I have to click cancel 8 times or so
> before it finally closes and Inventor just shuts down.
>
> This is our first year using a license server. I have never had to deal
> with borrowing a license for a laptop before. We have always used stand
> alone licenses in the past, but they changed it up on me this year. If
> anybody can offer me any assistance with this, I would greatly appreciate
> it. I am lost and have no idea how to get this setup.
Message 4 of 5
mark.lewis

Also, be sure that on your laptop you do not have it configured such that the power settings disable the network card. I found, in my situation, the power settings for our laptops automatically disabled the NIC if the pc was not plugged into AC power. The NIC is required because the license borrow utility seems to borrow the license based on the NIC's mac address. If we allowed the system to disable the NIC, the borrowed license was not valid. you've probably either resolved this by now or you don't handle your power settings as we do, but just wanted to share that with you.

Mark
Message 5 of 5
mark.lewis

Also, be sure that on your laptop you do not have it configured such that the power settings disable the network card. I found, in my situation, the power settings for our laptops automatically disabled the NIC if the pc was not plugged into AC power. The NIC is required because the license borrow utility seems to borrow the license based on the NIC's mac address. If we allowed the system to disable the NIC, the borrowed license was not valid. you've probably either resolved this by now or you don't handle your power settings as we do, but just wanted to share that with you.

Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report