Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing System Printer on Novel Network

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
152 Views, 4 Replies

Installing System Printer on Novel Network

We have a Novel Network and have installed a HP600 with parallel cable to server workstation. I am not able to browse the printer as you would normally do with a windows network. I was able to install the printer using a IP address for the server workstation but when I try to use the printer, it acts like I am using the server workstation from my work station and the process becomes unusable. Any changes to the printer settings or even just using the plot dialogue box in AutoCAD takes forever. I though that I could just install the plotter on my system and then direct the output through the server workstation lpt1 to the plotter but cannot find or figure out how to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Our IT department helped me set it up the plotter as it is now, and I have gotten back to them with the new problems but would be tickled pink if you can help me solve the problem before they (IT) can get back to me. Thanks, Dave Alexander Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. www.keen.ca
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

what os is this "server workstation" running? Novell NetWare is not a workstation, it is a pure server os, unlike windows. Why are you trying to slave a network printer off a computer anyways, when things like jetdirects are so inexpensive? If you still insist on running this off a computer, at least pull it off the netware server, if this is what the "server workstation" is that you refer to, & you can run it as an NDPS printer http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10060125.htm -- Thanks, Keith V. Klenke -------------------------------------------------- Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know there is a site that may be of some use. A lot of people who work with Novell products, and are VERY good with implementations and troubleshooting, frequent the site. You can find it at: http://www.abend.org -------------------------------------------------- "Dave Alexander" wrote in message news:40643532_1@newsprd01... > We have a Novel Network and have installed a HP600 with parallel cable to > server workstation. I am not able to browse the printer as you would > normally do with a windows network. > I was able to install the printer using a IP address for the server > workstation but when I try to use the printer, it acts like I am using the > server workstation from my work station and the process becomes unusable. > Any changes to the printer settings or even just using the plot dialogue box > in AutoCAD takes forever. > > I though that I could just install the plotter on my system and then direct > the output through the server workstation lpt1 to the plotter but cannot > find or figure out how to do it. > > Any help would be appreciated. > > Our IT department helped me set it up the plotter as it is now, and I have > gotten back to them with the new problems but would be tickled pink if you > can help me solve the problem before they (IT) can get back to me. > > Thanks, > > Dave Alexander > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > www.keen.ca > >
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks Keith. The "server workstation" is running XP Pro. We use GroupWise for email, and I assumed we also had a Novell network because I cannot browse the network as I am used to with a windows network. The plotter is an old HP 600 that we got from another office that doesn't use it anymore and we just want to use if for full size checkplots. Parts for this model are not avialable anymore so don't know if a jetdirect card can be used. I don't want to "slave" it off the server just install a "windows system printer" on my workstation as you would normally do with in a "windows network". I will read through the article that you referenced and see if I can figure it out. The IT Department we have is in another office so any problems have to be solved by phone. Thanks again for the reply. Dave Alexander Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. www.keen.ca "Keith V. Klenke" wrote in message news:4065c2bd$1_2@newsprd01... > what os is this "server workstation" running? Novell NetWare is not a > workstation, it is a pure server os, unlike windows. > Why are you trying to slave a network printer off a computer anyways, when > things like jetdirects are so inexpensive? > If you still insist on running this off a computer, at least pull it off the > netware server, if this is what the "server workstation" is that you refer > to, & you can run it as an NDPS printer > http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10060125.htm > > > -- > Thanks, > Keith V. Klenke > -------------------------------------------------- > Hey everyone, > I just wanted to let you know there is a site that may be of some use. A > lot of people who work with Novell products, and are VERY good with > implementations and troubleshooting, frequent the site. You can find it at: > http://www.abend.org > -------------------------------------------------- > > > "Dave Alexander" wrote in message > news:40643532_1@newsprd01... > > We have a Novel Network and have installed a HP600 with parallel cable to > > server workstation. I am not able to browse the printer as you would > > normally do with a windows network. > > I was able to install the printer using a IP address for the server > > workstation but when I try to use the printer, it acts like I am using the > > server workstation from my work station and the process becomes unusable. > > Any changes to the printer settings or even just using the plot dialogue > box > > in AutoCAD takes forever. > > > > I though that I could just install the plotter on my system and then > direct > > the output through the server workstation lpt1 to the plotter but cannot > > find or figure out how to do it. > > > > Any help would be appreciated. > > > > Our IT department helped me set it up the plotter as it is now, and I have > > gotten back to them with the new problems but would be tickled pink if you > > can help me solve the problem before they (IT) can get back to me. > > > > Thanks, > > > > Dave Alexander > > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > www.keen.ca > > > > > >
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Hi Dave, You can not get the internal JetDirect card for this, but you can get the external JetDirect box and that will work. Hope this helps. Bud "Dave Alexander" wrote in message news:4066e05c$1_2@newsprd01... > Thanks Keith. > > The "server workstation" is running XP Pro. We use GroupWise for email, and > I assumed we also had a Novell network because I cannot browse the network > as I am used to with a windows network. The plotter is an old HP 600 that we > got from another office that doesn't use it anymore and we just want to use > if for full size checkplots. Parts for this model are not avialable anymore > so don't know if a jetdirect card can be used. I don't want to "slave" it > off the server just install a "windows system printer" on my workstation as > you would normally do with in a "windows network". I will read through the > article that you referenced and see if I can figure it out. The IT > Department we have is in another office so any problems have to be solved by > phone. > > Thanks again for the reply. > > Dave Alexander > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > www.keen.ca > > "Keith V. Klenke" wrote in message > news:4065c2bd$1_2@newsprd01... > > what os is this "server workstation" running? Novell NetWare is not a > > workstation, it is a pure server os, unlike windows. > > Why are you trying to slave a network printer off a computer anyways, when > > things like jetdirects are so inexpensive? > > If you still insist on running this off a computer, at least pull it off > the > > netware server, if this is what the "server workstation" is that you refer > > to, & you can run it as an NDPS printer > > http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10060125.htm > > > > > > -- > > Thanks, > > Keith V. Klenke > > -------------------------------------------------- > > Hey everyone, > > I just wanted to let you know there is a site that may be of some use. A > > lot of people who work with Novell products, and are VERY good with > > implementations and troubleshooting, frequent the site. You can find it > at: > > http://www.abend.org > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > "Dave Alexander" wrote in message > > news:40643532_1@newsprd01... > > > We have a Novel Network and have installed a HP600 with parallel cable > to > > > server workstation. I am not able to browse the printer as you would > > > normally do with a windows network. > > > I was able to install the printer using a IP address for the server > > > workstation but when I try to use the printer, it acts like I am using > the > > > server workstation from my work station and the process becomes > unusable. > > > Any changes to the printer settings or even just using the plot dialogue > > box > > > in AutoCAD takes forever. > > > > > > I though that I could just install the plotter on my system and then > > direct > > > the output through the server workstation lpt1 to the plotter but cannot > > > find or figure out how to do it. > > > > > > Any help would be appreciated. > > > > > > Our IT department helped me set it up the plotter as it is now, and I > have > > > gotten back to them with the new problems but would be tickled pink if > you > > > can help me solve the problem before they (IT) can get back to me. > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > Dave Alexander > > > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > > www.keen.ca > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks Bud. I am still waiting for IT to get back with an answer. We may just end up moving the plotter to another station. Dave Alexander Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. www.keen.ca "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in message news:40673206$1_1@newsprd01... > Hi Dave, > > You can not get the internal JetDirect card for this, but you can get the > external JetDirect box and that will work. > Hope this helps. > > Bud > > > "Dave Alexander" wrote in message > news:4066e05c$1_2@newsprd01... > > Thanks Keith. > > > > The "server workstation" is running XP Pro. We use GroupWise for email, > and > > I assumed we also had a Novell network because I cannot browse the network > > as I am used to with a windows network. The plotter is an old HP 600 that > we > > got from another office that doesn't use it anymore and we just want to > use > > if for full size checkplots. Parts for this model are not avialable > anymore > > so don't know if a jetdirect card can be used. I don't want to "slave" it > > off the server just install a "windows system printer" on my workstation > as > > you would normally do with in a "windows network". I will read through the > > article that you referenced and see if I can figure it out. The IT > > Department we have is in another office so any problems have to be solved > by > > phone. > > > > Thanks again for the reply. > > > > Dave Alexander > > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > www.keen.ca > > > > "Keith V. Klenke" wrote in message > > news:4065c2bd$1_2@newsprd01... > > > what os is this "server workstation" running? Novell NetWare is not a > > > workstation, it is a pure server os, unlike windows. > > > Why are you trying to slave a network printer off a computer anyways, > when > > > things like jetdirects are so inexpensive? > > > If you still insist on running this off a computer, at least pull it off > > the > > > netware server, if this is what the "server workstation" is that you > refer > > > to, & you can run it as an NDPS printer > > > http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10060125.htm > > > > > > > > > -- > > > Thanks, > > > Keith V. Klenke > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > Hey everyone, > > > I just wanted to let you know there is a site that may be of some use. > A > > > lot of people who work with Novell products, and are VERY good with > > > implementations and troubleshooting, frequent the site. You can find it > > at: > > > http://www.abend.org > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > > > > "Dave Alexander" wrote in message > > > news:40643532_1@newsprd01... > > > > We have a Novel Network and have installed a HP600 with parallel cable > > to > > > > server workstation. I am not able to browse the printer as you would > > > > normally do with a windows network. > > > > I was able to install the printer using a IP address for the server > > > > workstation but when I try to use the printer, it acts like I am using > > the > > > > server workstation from my work station and the process becomes > > unusable. > > > > Any changes to the printer settings or even just using the plot > dialogue > > > box > > > > in AutoCAD takes forever. > > > > > > > > I though that I could just install the plotter on my system and then > > > direct > > > > the output through the server workstation lpt1 to the plotter but > cannot > > > > find or figure out how to do it. > > > > > > > > Any help would be appreciated. > > > > > > > > Our IT department helped me set it up the plotter as it is now, and I > > have > > > > gotten back to them with the new problems but would be tickled pink if > > you > > > > can help me solve the problem before they (IT) can get back to me. > > > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > > > Dave Alexander > > > > Keen Engineering Co. Ltd. > > > > www.keen.ca > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report