Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Maya Updates (Hotfix, SP, new version) Mac OSX AND Windows

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
robert.benedetti
3187 Views, 2 Replies

Installing Maya Updates (Hotfix, SP, new version) Mac OSX AND Windows

Hello, 
I am having trouble determining the procedure I need to follow if I wish to install the latest update to Maya (I would like to know for both Windows and OSX systems).  The release notes for 2011 SP1 point me to the installation and licensing guide, but I can not find any information about the update procedure in this guide.

Do I need to uninstall the previous version of Maya in order to install the latest if they are both in the same major version (both 2011).  ie: if I have 2011 Hotfix 3 installed do I need to go through the uninstallation process for 2011 Hotfix 3 before I install 2011 SP1?  

If I uninstall the older version of Maya and install the latest update, will my settings be wiped out?

How about major releases; my subscription says that I can install both 2010 and 2011.  Can I have both of these installed on the same system at the same time, or do I need to uninstall 2011 if I'm going to try to use 2010?  I know I will not try to run both at the same time, I just wish to know if the installations will conflict.

I'd like to know the answers for both OSX and Windows systems.

Thanks!

-Ben

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

->Yes you need uninstall  Maya 2011 (whatever hotfix) before installing Hotfix 3. This is applicable to Mac OSX and windows.

http://mayastation.typepad.com/maya-station/2010/07/autodesk-maya-2011-hotfix-3.html

->Uninstall doesn't remove custom settings or license. as long you don't edit/delete folders manually.

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/maya2011installationlicensingguide.pdf

When I uninstall my software, what files are left on my system?

If you uninstall the product, some files remain on your system such as files

you created or edited (drawings or custom menus).

Your license file also stays on your workstation when you uninstall your

product. If you reinstall on the same workstation, the license information

remains valid and you do not have to reactivate the product.

->You can install both Maya 2010 and Maya 2011 side by side on MacOSx and Windows 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 3

Thank you very much ! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report